Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Commercials are terrible  (Read 7358 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Commercials are terrible
« on: December 14, 2016, 06:01:12 pm »

Amazon Prime - Nursery commercial

Apparently therapists have just been jerking us around for laughs all these years, because it turns out that kids with crippling social disorders just need a superman costume to fix all their problems. Thanks Amazon Prime!

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: Commercials are terrible
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 06:07:26 pm »

Liberty Mutual Insurance - Full Car Replacement

So you think that insurance bills are far more painful than anything you could experience during a car crash? Really?
Oh, and that thing about driving three quarters of a car, that was not smart. That was the exact opposite of smart. My brain cringes every time I hear that. Please fire and/or murder whoever wrote that little witticism.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 06:13:37 pm »

Amazon Prime - Nursery commercial

Apparently therapists have just been jerking us around for laughs all these years, because it turns out that kids with crippling social disorders just need a superman costume to fix all their problems. Thanks Amazon Prime!

Ha ha, they probably based this on the study or studies which, iirc, found that wearing certain clothes could make people adopt the traits associated with those clothes, subconsciously. Iirc.

Aside: I did not click the link because willingly expose myself to commercials? Madness!
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 06:37:12 pm »

I swear, next time the folder kid spams my mailbox with any more commercial folders despite my NO COMMERCIAL UNADRESSED MAIL sticker on my front door, I am going to make him eat every last page.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 06:38:38 pm »

American adverts are pretty bad.

Around here, though, they tend to be either boring or...
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 06:46:29 pm »

"That feeling when your heart flutters or skips a beat.  It could be love, or it could be heart failure."

A medical commercial on the radio.  I'm paraphrasing only slightly.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 06:57:29 pm »

Counter Arguement to the terribless of commercials.

Some are indeed terrible, but it does the soul good to share a masterpiece like this one.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 07:19:39 pm »

Not an exact commercial but rather how the Youtube app has been shoving them down my throat recently. I got in the shower this morning and had some music playing on my phone, after the first one YT decided it was time for a commercial break, of a single commercial, which lasted for the remaining five minutes of my shower (and then some but I skipped it at that point).

So yeah, fuck commercials and everything they represent, they are the grimy underbelly of modern capitalism and honestly, them going away would possibly be the best thing about a collapse of society as we know it.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 07:28:48 pm »

Yeah, my instant reaction upon watching most commercials is "What fake association are they trying to convince me of now."

That said....I think game commercials are actually ok. Sure they're there to HYPE you that their game is the greatest thing since sliced cheese....but at least that's advertising the way it used to be. Most games don't try to convince me I'll better my social life by playing games, be more successful, get the ladiez or anything else. They're just selling the idea of fun and entertainment (which given the game might also be a lie....) if you buy the product, not like it's the answer to your life problems.

I don't know anyone in the ad business but I'd love to know how corrosive it is to the soul day in day out to try and sell people ideas about themselves and their lives via a product.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 07:44:23 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2016, 07:36:13 pm »

I went out of my way to send hate mail to Kellogg's every time that fucking Krave "DEEDLE-DEET-DEEDLE-DEET-DEEDLE-DEET" commercial played.

"Hey, it's me again, you fucking pieces of shit. When will you understand the depth of my hatred and disgust for you? It is like a rose, if a rose were made of burning manure dipped in curdled vomit. It is like a finger pointing at the moon, except the finger is the middle one, and the moon is your face. With sincere hatred, the anti-fan. P.S. Fuck you all."

I doubt they got the point, but the FCC wouldn't do anything though the commercial violated the rules about not having jacked up volume and whatnot.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2016, 07:41:02 pm »

I went out of my way to send hate mail to Kellogg's every time that fucking Krave "DEEDLE-DEET-DEEDLE-DEET-DEEDLE-DEET" commercial played.

Link? Now I'm curious.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2016, 07:44:50 pm »

Oh, and speaking of volume, not sure if the fuckers do it in your parts, but around here, aside from having over a quarter of every hour dedicated to commercials, channels like to crank up their volume compared to normal content. So you'll be merrily watching a show or whatever and then there's a break and SUDDENLY YOUR FUCKING HOUSE IS FALLING APART BECAUSE THE VOLUME IS FULL FUCKING BLAST. I don't know who thought of the idea and who approved it, but I can't see it as anything but counter-productive, you don't get people on someones good side by startling and deafening them at the same time.

Motherfuckers
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2016, 08:23:20 pm »

I remember there used to be a YouTube ad that was so short it couldn't be skipped, but had a fake skip button in the video. So you'd click it, and clicking on the ad would take you to their website. I don't remember what the ad was for but it pissed me off so much that I vowed never to buy it.

Advertisements, and the people who create them, are pure evil.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2016, 08:26:35 pm »

Yeah, my instant reaction upon watching most commercials is "What fake association are they trying to convince me of now."

The one that took the cake was the Ribena advert which stated "the blackcurrants in Ribena have four times the vitamin C of oranges". Good stuff to know.

Except the problem was that the Ribena didn't actually contain real blackcurrants, and kids at a highschool did a test for ascorbic acid, using Ribena on the assumption it would be easier to detect. In fact they found out that Ribena contained almost zero vitamin C, while the company pointed out that the claim was about the cordial, that was then tested and found to have no more vitamin C than orange juice.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2007/mar/27/schoolsworldwide.foodanddrink
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 08:38:55 pm by Reelya »

Mallos

• Bay Watcher
  • sick and tired of being sick and tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2016, 10:23:59 pm »

Bad commercials? I know all about those.

Take this dogshit for example. It tries way too hard to be 'with the times' and 'hip' by using dead memes ad nauseum.
I swear I get the nearly uncontrollable urge to shout and stick my head through the wall every time one of their other infernal creations plays before a video.
And so to itisnotlogical I respond that if creators of other advertisements are evil, truthOrange writers are Demon Lords.
Gone. Departed. Headed off toward greener pastures.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4