Zaldor
- 16 (14.8%)
Error
- 14 (13%)
Other
- 8 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 161

Author Topic: Land of Lords: Crusader Kings crossed with Anno  (Read 181127 times)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Land of Lords: Crusader Kings crossed with Anno
« Reply #2145 on: August 09, 2017, 08:47:20 am »

Thats a bummer....seems like a good game....not sure how it plans to survive if you can't start fresh. Sounds like its a random crap shoot to grab something someone already built or just happening to know people you can buddy up with.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: August 09, 2017, 09:17:17 am »

Thats a bummer....seems like a good game....not sure how it plans to survive if you can't start fresh. Sounds like its a random crap shoot to grab something someone already built or just happening to know people you can buddy up with.
I would think it'll get changed once the effects of it become more apparent. The intent is actually in part to get rid of old domains to open up space for new ones. The problem is, it actually screws everyone equally, but more established domains have more tools to mitigate it.

Fewah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: August 09, 2017, 04:30:17 pm »

I actually really enjoyed the start of the game when things didn't involve me personally managing everything.
I got really excited planning out a cool town and castle design.

Then when I finally got to the point of managing and constantly having to build houses... and walls...... I just lost interest.

I even subscribed or became a gold member whatever they call it.

Its just too much work for little reward as the end result of combat is so poor.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: August 09, 2017, 05:58:16 pm »

I still like it, been playing to a varying degree since January. The new changes to the economy are good, and introduce a cost for the reproduction of labor, which could put things in balance. But I would strongly advise against getting more than one domain. Coastal domains with rivers or brooks, at least one metal and some good stone is fundamental for the full experience though. Most interesting places have been occupied, but people can more easily claim territories of previously deserted domains now.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 05:59:48 pm by Radsoc »
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: August 09, 2017, 07:10:39 pm »

Not a fan of these new mechanics. I've lost all my population but my lord in the domain I started.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2150 on: August 10, 2017, 12:13:02 am »

I still like it, been playing to a varying degree since January. The new changes to the economy are good, and introduce a cost for the reproduction of labor, which could put things in balance. But I would strongly advise against getting more than one domain. Coastal domains with rivers or brooks, at least one metal and some good stone is fundamental for the full experience though. Most interesting places have been occupied, but people can more easily claim territories of previously deserted domains now.
The mechanics themselves aren't bad themselves, just their balance, bad implementation (to feed your people, you how have to manually buy... fucking... 100 odd things... manually... no buy-all button... every... single... day...) and balant disregard of the game developer for any sort of feedback is bad. The game still has good parts, the problem is that sole developer and owner of the game suffered some kind of mental breakdown or something, and actively ruins his game. He's notoriously hard to communicate with, sometimes ignores things completly as if they didin't reach him, and in general acts like he has some mental problem. I do not mean that as an insult even, his behaviour is just a complete mystery to me, and that's the only logical way I can explain it.
Also, he literally makes ingame alt-accounts saying recent changes are good.
Don't even get me started on the moderators. Some are decent, but majority is just power-hungry bastards that abuse their moderator status, and since most of them and the Admin himself are French, they are especially bad to non-French communities. The only way to even have what you're saying considered is to post it in French, and majority of official threads about updates and such in English tend to be locked right after their creation, while the French counterparts are open for discussion.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: August 10, 2017, 02:47:40 am »

Wow, what a bunch of nonsense.  :D
The changes pretty much made multi-accounts unfeasible which is a great thing. All those people with dozens of domains can no longer support them. Understandably they are pissed. Maintaing a single domain or several is still easily doable. You don't need to buy anything manually. I produce maybe less than a half of food types in my domain and its sufficient so far.
And shame on you for all the slander. There is no oppression of non-french players, are you even serious. Threads are getting locked because people cross the line during discussions. Always some entitled morons believe that they know how the game should be designed and if the dev has a different opinion he's ruining the game and ignoring the community.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: August 10, 2017, 05:01:51 am »

The mechanics themselves aren't bad themselves, just their balance, bad implementation (to feed your people, you how have to manually buy... fucking... 100 odd things... manually... no buy-all button... every... single... day...) and balant disregard of the game developer for any sort of feedback is bad. The game still has good parts, the problem is that sole developer and owner of the game suffered some kind of mental breakdown or something, and actively ruins his game. He's notoriously hard to communicate with, sometimes ignores things completly as if they didin't reach him, and in general acts like he has some mental problem. I do not mean that as an insult even, his behaviour is just a complete mystery to me, and that's the only logical way I can explain it.
Also, he literally makes ingame alt-accounts saying recent changes are good.
Don't even get me started on the moderators. Some are decent, but majority is just power-hungry bastards that abuse their moderator status, and since most of them and the Admin himself are French, they are especially bad to non-French communities. The only way to even have what you're saying considered is to post it in French, and majority of official threads about updates and such in English tend to be locked right after their creation, while the French counterparts are open for discussion.

It's just once every two weeks :)

To avoid micromanagement even then you can build up stockpiles. I'm trying to produce everything myself, just can't cover fruit and nuts yet. Winter will be expensive though. :P

"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2153 on: August 10, 2017, 05:30:17 am »

Wow, what a bunch of nonsense.  :D
The changes pretty much made multi-accounts unfeasible which is a great thing. All those people with dozens of domains can no longer support them. Understandably they are pissed. Maintaing a single domain or several is still easily doable. You don't need to buy anything manually. I produce maybe less than a half of food types in my domain and its sufficient so far.
The actual multi-account people with dozens of domains aren't really that hurt by it.  I can assure you they are completly fine, because they are on a completly other level of dedication and knowledge, and saying it's just to attack multi-accounts is not really indicative. If Admin wanted to hit alt-accounts, he should have just banned them from start-up, and maybe let players have more than 3 characters.  It mainly hits inactives, which, I guess, is a good thing, but could be done in much better way.

And shame on you for all the slander. There is no oppression of non-french players, are you even serious.
I don't necessarily think it's "nationality-related", it's more a result of French community being more blindly accepting of the changes.

Threads are getting locked because people cross the line during discussions.
Because people disagree. And if they disagree with all-mighty Admin, they must be silenced.

Always some entitled morons believe that they know how the game should be designed and if the dev has a different opinion he's ruining the game and ignoring the community.
Have you actually talked with the guy? I did, when I was doing Polish translation, and the Admin apparently was pretty sure he knows my language way better than I do, and that was nothing compared to what went on when he actually let people assemble an "council" to discuss the future of the game, which operated basically on "people who agree 100% with my opinions are welcome, rest GTFO", although thankfully he does seem to listen when there is a whole lot of negative feedback, even if he would never admit to it. The version you're getting is somewhat mild, the original was supposed to break

Look at it this way - if the people who actually played long time, invested a lot of time into the game and achieved a lot are telling you something is wrong, there probably is something wrong. I can see the point of "but he's the developer", and for a while I actually defended his positions, but this is ridiculous. Actually, here's an example, one of older players made an blog dedicated to research of game workings and discussion of future changes, he was promptly visited by Admin's character and told to either shut it down, or get banned. Or you can, well, belive whatever you want. Let's see how happy you will be once the rest of the planned changes hit.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: August 10, 2017, 07:41:03 am »

I have talked to the guy. He is alright if you're not trying to force your opinion on him. Even if you do, he's still alright. Never saw him lash out or lose temper. Don't remember him banning people for "disagreeing".
I have also played a long time and have three really big domains. Now I'm cutting it down to one because even three became to cumbersome. I believe it is a good change. I also know why some players hate it. All those guys with big kingdoms on multiple continents freaking out on the forums are leaving because they can't handle all of their stuff any more and also don't want to ditch most of it.
If Tabby says something is wrong I am not too impressed. I am content with this gameplay change.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2155 on: August 10, 2017, 08:55:56 am »

I have talked to the guy. He is alright if you're not trying to force your opinion on him. Even if you do, he's still alright. Never saw him lash out or lose temper. Don't remember him banning people for "disagreeing".
That's the point. He doesn't get mad, he just disregards your opinion and carries on. Rarely provides arguments either, nobody has got him to say why cathedrals can't be built from brick to this day. He could just say it's "due to balance" or something, but nope, he just refuses to answer the question for some reason. Also, winky faces.

I have also played a long time and have three really big domains. Now I'm cutting it down to one because even three became to cumbersome.
Size isin't everything.

I believe it is a good change. I also know why some players hate it. All those guys with big kingdoms on multiple continents freaking out on the forums are leaving because they can't handle all of their stuff any more and also don't want to ditch most of it.
All these guys with single big domains are also freaking out, because they get hit by people leaving even at nearly 100% happiness with housing to spare, the whole system not working properly (you were supposed to be paid by the peasants for the things they buy from you, apparently that got broken and it doesn't work, even if peasants still have to have money to demand something), and in general being pain in ass for clicking.

If Tabby says something is wrong I am not too impressed. I am content with this gameplay change.
Potts isin't even that great, she's just very loud.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: August 10, 2017, 11:19:28 am »

I haven't played in a while now, but drama like this is usually indicative of a game going from good to bad.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: August 10, 2017, 12:06:48 pm »

Steer clear then.

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: September 01, 2017, 08:24:17 pm »

I was just thinking about this game, and took a look around.  I haven't played in about 6 months.

I got the impression that the game is dying, and that, compared to when I quit, maybe there are 1/2 or a 1/4 the number of players still playing.  Everyone in my old kingdom has quit, except for just one of my former vassals who has taken control of everything and turned my old domain into a massive unsightly sprawl.  I also get the impression from the forum that new players rarely stick around and the remaining players are mostly stubborn old-timers.

It seems to me that this game is a prime example of how poor design choices can ruin a game that has potential.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: September 01, 2017, 09:23:12 pm »

It seems to me that this game is a prime example of how poor design choices can ruin a game that has potential.
Absolutely. Between this and the Cataclysm thread, it's like reading a primer for "how being a single developer and actively ignoring your users will sink your game".

I think that the saddest part here is that really all the dev had to do was keep expanding industry chains and virtually all of the users would've been happy. Instead he went with all kinds of weird additions that seemed specifically geared towards alienating new players, current players, or both.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 09:26:16 pm by AlStar »
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 161