Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: The Rogue One Thread  (Read 9486 times)

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
The Rogue One Thread
« on: December 16, 2016, 09:43:19 pm »

Expect Spoilers.
The movie is out! I have had the pleasure of watching it, and I had a few things to discuss. I'm other people do too. Welcome to the discussion thread.

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Rogue One Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 10:48:32 pm »

Gonna be watching it in a couple hours, courtesy of my roommate
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 11:19:27 pm »

Saw it. It was pretty meh for most of the movie, but the last 30 minutes made the whole thing worth it. My only major complaint is that the CG they used to put in Grand Moff Tarkin looks a bit wonky.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 11:21:20 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 11:45:58 pm »

The problem I had was that the way they were using the Death Star to blow up stuff, they would already be caused an extinction level event. Not only would the rocks they blew up into space re-enter the atmosphere, heating up the planet a great deal, but the amount of damage caused to the planet would be incredible, (probably about 200 times Castle Bravo, the largest nuclear bomb America ever tested at ~25 megatons), that it cause irreparable harm to the environment, and the planet. I understand the use of it as a shock and awe weapon, but it still is unnecessary. I also thought it was pretty bold to kill all the characters of any import. It did tie into the 1st/4th Movie well though.

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 05:22:36 am »

Saw it. It was pretty meh for most of the movie, but the last 30 minutes made the whole thing worth it. My only major complaint is that the CG they used to put in Grand Moff Tarkin looks a bit wonky.
Yeah, I'm convinced that if they found a Peter Cushing lookalike instead I'd have been more willing to suspend my disbelief than for the unfortunate effect they went with.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 11:15:46 am »

My favorite scene is when Kurt uses the force to deflect star destroyer turbolaser blasts.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 01:48:59 pm »

Post to fail at avoiding spoilers :x
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 04:22:57 pm »

PTW, not having read this yet, until I see the film, but as a token addition to the thread until after tomorrow/the day after/whenever, hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 04:54:52 pm »

I liked that the death star had a low-power mode but that that low power was still chixiclub-impact-level power.

"Yes, my lord, our designer assures us that the stations power is fully configurable for precision strikes"
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 05:25:46 pm »

Yeah. Something I've thought about since is that it brought up an interesting thing about space warfare. During the final-ish scenes, one of the rebels rams a star destroyer to take down the planetary shield. Early naval warfare was all about ramming, and I wonder if that'll show up in the future movies.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2016, 05:38:23 pm »

Thought the footage from the first film they slipped in was cool. I guess the way it set up A New Hope was clever, but I never really felt attached to any characters except the humorous droid.

Oh, and it was twenty bloody quid as well, but maybe we went to the wrong cinema.
One wheel short of a wagon

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 05:47:04 pm »

Yeah, central London location and a big screen will add a bit, but I have no idea how it got that high.

Could be just out here, but still :-\
One wheel short of a wagon

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2016, 08:19:28 pm »

Those were my feelings exactly. In my opinion the movie could have been so much better if they had focused more on the style of those last 30 minutes instead of trying to bloat the length of it with the beginning which felt pretty boring and cliched to me. Oh and the first 15 minutes (?) were really disconcerting in the way that they jumped around from planet to planet.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2016, 08:23:51 pm »

Those were my feelings exactly. In my opinion the movie could have been so much better if they had focused more on the style of those last 30 minutes instead of trying to bloat the length of it with the beginning which felt pretty boring and cliched to me. Oh and the first 15 minutes (?) were really disconcerting in the way that they jumped around from planet to planet.

Yeah the opening was a little jumpy as they tried to introduce all these people on all these planets and shuffle them around quickly between planets
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2016, 11:15:34 pm »

I told myself I wouldn't be annoyed by all the little canon inconsistencies, but I am.
  • Where were those dark troopers during the original trilogy? They would have made perfect sense on Endor, more than the white Scout Troopers.
  • For that matter, what about the Imperial battle droids? I find it hard to believe that droids like K2SO are just a logistical aide, given his strength and range of motion. At least K2SO kind of resembles some background robots from the original trilogy, if you really squint and believe.
  • Darth Vader has an absolutely cringeworthy line that I don't think he would have said at all. I hope people know what I'm talking about.

We almost got to see a tiny bit more of Mon Mothma's character. I've wondered about her since the original films, and I'm hoping they finally give her more than one or two scenes in one of the upcoming films. The actress they got to play her is gorgeous.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 11:31:59 pm by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7