Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: The Rogue One Thread  (Read 9568 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The Rogue One Thread
« Reply #90 on: January 03, 2017, 06:42:03 pm »

Or, you know, that they were traveling with the rebel fleet.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 03, 2017, 06:47:14 pm »

Well yes, that goes without saying. But if Tantive IV had managed to escape, Leia would almost certainly have needed protection if the Rebel Alliance had tried to make the Death Star and its planet-busting abilities public knowledge. I'm pretty sure that at least some of the Rebellion's leaders wanted to do exactly that.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 04, 2017, 01:40:13 pm »

I'm really more of the Plinkett mind on this one, that it's entirely dependent on brand recognition and that if you're not fiending for more star wars it's a pretty paint-by-numbers sci-fi movie with an ugly non-ending (everyone dies?!  They dont' even destroy the thing?!).  But it's got lots of references and fanservice and other things to get your dopamine receptors going off and hopefully distract you.

I like to compare it to Fury Road.  What would Fury Road be if Mad Max didn't exist?  What would Rogue One be if Star Wars didn't exist?
Shoes...

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 04, 2017, 03:27:41 pm »

I'm really more of the Plinkett mind on this one, that it's entirely dependent on brand recognition and that if you're not fiending for more star wars it's a pretty paint-by-numbers sci-fi movie with an ugly non-ending (everyone dies?!  They dont' even destroy the thing?!).  But it's got lots of references and fanservice and other things to get your dopamine receptors going off and hopefully distract you.

I like to compare it to Fury Road.  What would Fury Road be if Mad Max didn't exist?  What would Rogue One be if Star Wars didn't exist?

I'd never watched a mad max movie and Fury Road is one of my favourite movies of all time. (Because it's bonkers fun)

Also you're being reductionist ab adsirdio there. You might as well say "Bluh, episode IV sucked, it's just boring classic archetypes in space" or "Episode V sucked, the ending was boring all they did was run away there was no major conclusion"

Treating films from a series , especially one like Star Wars , as if they exist in a vacuum is silly
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 04, 2017, 04:44:40 pm »

I've never even seen Fury Road and I'm pretty sure it would have been the bomb had it been solo. Everybody I've seen rave about that movie will just not shut up about Furiosa and talks about Max like he's barely in the film, so the Mad Maxness of it seems irrelevant.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 04, 2017, 06:08:40 pm »

I have some very mixed feelings about the movie. It felt very rough around the edges- I think those reshoots ended up making some rather drastic changes to the movie-and it shows. This is pretty noticeable when comparing it to the trailers. There were points in the movie where it seemed pretty disjointed.

I felt that they cut back and forth between way too many different planets. Three would have been enough the movie was jumping all over the place in the beginning. I felt the plot in general could have been a lot less convoluted in general.

The fanservice was far less intrusive than in Force Awakens, with some noticeable exceptions.

Lots of new designs introduced. I liked the new Rebel lander/gunship. The TIE striker seemed like the Imperial equivalent to the Rebel snowspeeder/airspeeder and I liked it. I bought the black stormtroopers as a sort of elite Imperial soldier, though it wasn't clear to me if they were supposed to be krennic's unique personal bodyguard or not.

However....

Nitpicks Incoming
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The general disjointed-ness and nitpicks aside, I had a few somewhat bigger problems with the movie:

1) They really changed Tarkin.

2) How Leia and the Tantive IV was handled in the movie. Other have gone over this-it was really clumsy and odd.

3) The Final Battle

I enjoyed the movie, but I don't think it really measures quite up to Original Trilogy standards.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 04, 2017, 06:12:12 pm »

Was that actually Tarkin kneeling before Vader? What would Tarkin even be doing there instead of hanging out on the Death Star? I thought that was just some random dark side disciple.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 04, 2017, 06:41:52 pm »

Capital ships have always been paper-thin and vulnerable to single-man bombers. Remember how in VI the Executor, the most powerful warship in the galaxy, was destroyed after some fighters blew up its main shields and another one went kamikaze into the bridge?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 04, 2017, 06:43:01 pm »

That's not Tarkin, no. And Tarkin's power is lesser in Rogue One than A New Hope, specifically because of his secured command of the Death Star.

There's no clear relation of Tarkin and Vader in the Imperial hierarchy at all. Vader doesn't have any rank outside of being the Emperor's second, and Tarkin is just a governor, but once he obtains command of the Death Star I can guarantee you no other governor matches him. That's the Empire for you.

Vader not killing that one guy in A New Hope is out of a combination of respect for Tarkin's competence and being the commanding officer of the Death Star, much in the way that nobody on a Navy vessel can countermand the ship's captain, even if they outrank them.

Tarkin's character is absolutely one who seeks to attain practical power through any means available, it's no surprise he intended to command the Death Star regardless of who technically created it.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 06:44:45 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
No Gods, No Masters.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 04, 2017, 06:51:47 pm »

Capital ships have always been paper-thin and vulnerable to single-man bombers. Remember how in VI the Executor, the most powerful warship in the galaxy, was destroyed after some fighters blew up its main shields and another one went kamikaze into the bridge?
That was less the ship being made of paper as it was a rebel pilot going 'REPUBLIC ACKBAR' through the bridge and basically knocking out it's command systems. A little hard to fight when the systems managing all the information goes down and you can't co-ordinate weapon batteries. And given it's shields were down prior to that, it'd effectively mean it's a sitting duck for the rebel's larger ships.

And it was technically a rebel victory. They aren't exactly able to be choosy about what's a victory in space or not.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 04, 2017, 06:55:53 pm »

That's not Tarkin, no. And Tarkin's power is lesser in Rogue One than A New Hope, specifically because of his secured command of the Death Star.

There's no clear relation of Tarkin and Vader in the Imperial hierarchy at all. Vader doesn't have any rank outside of being the Emperor's second, and Tarkin is just a governor, but once he obtains command of the Death Star I can guarantee you no other governor matches him. That's the Empire for you.

Vader not killing that one guy in A New Hope is out of a combination of respect for Tarkin's competence and being the commanding officer of the Death Star, much in the way that nobody on a Navy vessel can countermand the ship's captain, even if they outrank them.

Tarkin's character is absolutely one who seeks to attain practical power through any means available, it's no surprise he intended to command the Death Star regardless of who technically created it.
Also no surprise that he was so prepared to destroy an Imperial installation that just so happened to have his chief rival sitting on top of it.

This is the same guy who, in the EU, landed a warship on top of a peaceful protest and killed hundreds. Dude's basically a sociopath.

REPUBLIC ACKBAR

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 04, 2017, 08:50:55 pm »

It was a balding CGI Imperial officer wearing a cowl over his head with the same voice actor. I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be Tarkin.

And going by ANH, Tarkin is pretty clearly either Vader's equal or superior. Remember Leia's comment about him holding Vader's leash? He breaks up the 'bickering' between the Moffs officers and Vader, and even gives him a few orders.

As of Episode III, Tarkin had been working on the Death Star, or at least prototypes of it, for two decades. Apparently put in charge of it by the Emperor himself. So it seems a bit....odd that he'd find the need to steal credit for the Death Star.

As for the Executor from RoTJ, it was taken out by two critical attacks first to the shield generator, then to the bridge. R1 has simple blaster cannon runs from starfighters will really trash space ships and stations.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 04, 2017, 09:05:15 pm »

It was a balding CGI Imperial officer wearing a cowl over his head with the same voice actor. I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be Tarkin.
Do not pass Go, do not collect 200 Imperial credits, they're no good out here.
And going by ANH, Tarkin is pretty clearly either Vader's equal or superior. Remember Leia's comment about him holding Vader's leash? He breaks up the 'bickering' between the Moffs officers and Vader, and even gives him a few orders.
As I said, there's no formal rank between the two of them. One's a governor who attained command of the Empire's most powerful weapon, one is the Emperor's boogieman. Vader simply respects Tarkin, and Tarkin is probably on the short list of people who Vader would actually get shit from the Emperor for killing, unlike, say, certain Moffs who aren't as important as they think they are.
As of Episode III, Tarkin had been working on the Death Star, or at least prototypes of it, for two decades. Apparently put in charge of it by the Emperor himself. So it seems a bit....odd that he'd find the need to steal credit for the Death Star.
It's called delegation. Tarkin is a military man, he has no skill set to be responsible for the breakthroughs in the Death Star project. Krennic assumed he'd be rewarded for his genius with personal command of the end result, an assumption that would prove very false. He was no good to Tarkin after finishing the Death Star, and if anything was a liability for his security leaks or his capacity to be one of Tarkin's rivals.
No Gods, No Masters.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 05, 2017, 12:32:57 am »

I've never even seen Fury Road and I'm pretty sure it would have been the bomb had it been solo. Everybody I've seen rave about that movie will just not shut up about Furiosa and talks about Max like he's barely in the film, so the Mad Maxness of it seems irrelevant.

That's what I mean.  Fury Road is a great movie that stands on its own merit, whereas Rogue One felt like it was 100% riding on nostalgia and image-recognition.
Shoes...

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 14, 2017, 08:01:56 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]