Yes
- 4 (40%)
No
- 2 (20%)
Coolio
- 4 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23

Author Topic: Survival of the Meanest  (Read 35264 times)

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
Survival of the Meanest
« on: December 17, 2016, 11:48:02 pm »

WARNING: This is my first time making one of these Roll to Dodge thingies and I will most likely prove terrible at being the GM(?). I will, however, do my best to outline everything clearly. I will use a random number generator for everything. If there is unclear content, which I assure you there will be a lot of, please comment with any questions.

RULES, DESCRIPTION, AND AWESOMESAUCE: Life isn't fair. Neither is this game. When playing Survival of the Meanest, you'll most likely be pitted against enemies, both player and NPC, who are stronger, faster, and tougher than you. In the case that the enemy you're fighting isn't like so, there is most likely more than one of said enemy. You'll be in a harsh, unforgiving landscape, with strange creatures of the night hunting you down.

Turns are measured in sections. There are three sections in each day and one to three every night, depending on whether you are disturbed while asleep. You may have up to one combat per turn.

Character sheet:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here is an example character sheet:

Now, you may be wondering what all these things mean. The best way to understand how this game works is simply to play it, but you can't start without a basic understanding of the game's mechanics.

Your race determines your starting stats.
Your class gives you certain bonuses, and also determines your starting stats.
Health determines the number of blows you can take before you keel over dead. More health = more survival.
Attack determines the number of blows you must inflict on an enemy to make it keel over dead. More attack = more killing.
Speed determines whether you go first in combat, your critical strike chance, and more importantly your chances of dodging, blocking, and parrying attacks through your reflexes, and decreases the chance of an enemy dodging, blocking, or parrying. More speed = a variety of good things.
Defense reduces the amount of damage you take from hits, to a degree. You get defense from racial bonuses and armor. More defense = more survival.
Intellect increases the chance that weapons you make won't be junk, and increases your chances of dodging, blocking, and parrying attacks through your predictions, and allows you unique tracking bonuses. More intellect = bigger brain.

Stature is a non-numeric trait that is determined by one's race. It effects the GM only, who will use it accordingly. Don't worry about it.

What makes this game special, however, is the fact that it is totally unfair.

To play, you must first enter your name. When there are enough applicants, I will do a random drawing to determine the race of characters.

Your race is chosen by random. If you get something you don't like, you just have to work around it. Or die, but people who suicide a lot will be disqualified.

Races:

After your race is chosen, you can choose your class:

More info will be added here when players start to join, including combat mechanics.

Stats may be improved in game with crystals, a rare drop from powerful foes...

Base stats:
40 health
4 attack
4 speed
0 defense
4 intellect

Combat mechanics:
You all start with two combat skills - attack and parry. Parrying blocks enemy attacks with your weapon, attacking is self-explanatory. Rather than choosing these commands on your own, you can select up to four combat styles, and prioritize moves that you want to use more.
You can select from four combat styles, as well
Offensive (kill things before they kill you)
Defensive (block, dodge, and survive)
Balanced (A nice mix of the other two
Run (Instead of attacking, you try to run away each turn)
For instance, let's say that Bjorn Ivorsen, our friendly neighborhood tinkerer, is fighting Phuc Dat Ho. He has the basic skills, and a skill called Stunning Blow. Let's say Bjorn wants to use Stunning Blow as much as he can, and try to attack more than defend. He'll state that he's in the Offensive combat mode, and he'll prioritize Stunning Blow. Below your character sheet, add this:
You will acquire more skills, and possibly more combat modes as you go on.

Tinkering: With sinew or string, you can tie one thing onto another thing! It's pretty cool, right? In any case, it allows you to build some primitive weapons. Here are the basic tinkering "recipes" that you start off innately knowing
Stick + flint = Sharpened stick, flint
Rock + flint = Sharpened rock, flint
Rock + Stick + Sinew/String = Basic club
Sharpened rock + Stick + Sinew/String = Basic Spear
Bone + Flint = Bone blade, flint
(animal) leather + (animal) leather + sunshine + Sharp rock= Tanned (animal) leather, Sharp rock
Tanned (animal) leather x 5 = tanned leather vestements

The lower your intellect is, the higher the chance that anything you make will become junk is. If you try making a Bone blade but fail, you will lose both the bone and the flint, and get nothing.
May the fittest among you live!

Player pool:

MAP

Shadow Bestiary
Spoiler: Prowler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Hunter (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Collective (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Impling (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tripod (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Raptor (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 11:52:24 pm by Rethi-Eli »
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
Re: Survival of the Meanest
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 12:11:01 am »

So, we just enter a name?

Name: Julio
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 12:15:06 am »

Name: Fu Qyu

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 12:29:44 am »

Just a name and you're set to go!

If you die, make sure to make a Fu Qyu Two

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 04:32:02 am »

Name: Fu-Ka-Yu
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 09:57:51 am »

Name: Skeliborn
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 01:03:55 pm »

Game start! Day 1, section 1:

Julio, you are a human! Choose your class.
Fu Qyu, you are a Lilliputian! Good luck, and choose your class.
Name: Fu-Ka-Yu
Fu-Ka-Yu, you are a Gnome! Good luck, and please choose your class.
Name: Skeliborn
UristMcSkeliborn, you are a Dwarf! Please choose your class, and good luck!

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 01:30:57 pm »

Strafer.
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 01:57:07 pm »

Class: Tinkerer
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 02:00:32 pm »

Name:Skeliborn
Race:Dwarf
Class:Brute
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2016, 03:05:25 pm »

Strafer.
Here are your stats:

Please include it in all of posts, spoiler'd.

Anyways,
Your village was just raided by Goblins. You watched your blood-brothers fall fighting the invaders. You are the last of your village, and revenge is on your mind. Food isn't an issue, since you know how to live off the land. You are in the Northern Wilds.

You can:
Forage for supplies
Hunt
Explore (North, East, West, South)
Set up camp for the night (WARNING: Once you do this, you may not act further in the day.)
Class: Tinkerer
Wonderful. Here is your sheet.
Again, post this with everything, and make sure that it's spoilered.

You've been tracking an Elven outlaw for three days. You lost their trail today, and now you're stranded in the Northern Wilds, far from familiar land. Your associate deserted, and took all of the gear with him. You're quite skilled at making your own tools, however, and so you set out on a journey to bring justice to both the Elf and Trabert, your old lackey.
You may now
Forage for supplies
Hunt
Set up camp for the night (WARNING: Once you do this, you may not act further in the day.)
Name:Skeliborn
Race:Dwarf
Class:Brute
Your sheet:
Keep it spoilered and post it with everything.

You left your Vale of Kinemnish a week ago, seeking adventure beyond the mountainous home of the Dwarves. Most of your kin regard you as insane, but you think otherwise. You aren't spending your life cooped up in a cavern, mining out gems for the rest of your days. You were in high spirits until last night, when you were robbed. You're lost in the Northern Wilds with nothing to defend yourself but a hefty stick. Maybe leaving Kinemnish wasn't such a good idea.
You may now
Forage for supplies
Hunt

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2016, 03:09:25 pm »

Go small or go die. Fu Qyu is a Novice!

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2016, 03:17:47 pm »

((My name is Bjorn Ivorsen now? I thought it was Julio...!))

Forage for supplies.

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2016, 03:36:51 pm »

Aghh. Where even am I? This don't look anything like I was expectin'.

Hunt while heading in a random direction.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2016, 04:12:12 pm »

Spoiler: Fu-Ka-Yu (click to show/hide)

"Bloody goblins...stupid...always killing...murderers..."

Forage For Supplies.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 04:20:51 pm by TankKit »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23