Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [SPOILERS] Incendiary armor  (Read 2140 times)

SkeleBret

• Bay Watcher
  • shudders and begins to move!
    • View Profile
    • I make YouTube videos
[SPOILERS] Incendiary armor
« on: December 18, 2016, 05:24:41 pm »

EDIT: Disregard this, the armor is just hot, I'm dumb. You can equip it a few hours later, it cools off.

I posted this in the trivial findings thread as well but figured maybe !!SCIENTISTS!! would find it interesting, so here goes!

I found a vault with angel warriors made of fire, and while their weapons and shields can be carried without problems, putting on their armor causes the adventurer to melt. This is in vanilla Dwarf Fortress v0.43.05

If you want to give it a try I uploaded the region folder. http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12620
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 06:53:15 pm by SkeleBret »

SkeleBret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I make YouTube videos
Re: [SPOILERS] Incendiary armor
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 06:47:45 pm »

Never mind! Disregard this! I'm stupid, turns out the armor was just hot.

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 02:12:59 pm »

Breaking news on DORF News Network: Fire is hot and hot objects stay hot for a while. More at 12.

oh_no

Moddan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 10:18:01 am »

Wow, nice armor. It's even glowing. I'll put it on real quick. Hmm, why is my skin melting?

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 01:16:13 pm »

While we're on the topic, is there any way to check for something's temperature?

And, what would work best to heat up a sword, heating it up with a campfire (like you do with waterskins to melt the ice inside) or dropping it on a tile and setting said tile on fire?
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.

Bidyhackier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 06:10:07 pm »

I think the only way to check how hot something is is by counting the "!"s before and after the name of something, "bronze short sword" being normal, "!bronze short sword" being hot and "!!bronze short sword!!" being scorching hell.
 As to warming things up,i never suceeded in burning corpses or other stuff, i tried:igniting the tile with the item and the tiles around it and making campfires on the tile and the tiles around it.Maybe using the nteract menu to warm it near a campfire could work
lol why is patience the key characteristic to defeating an elephant? I can just imagine years of psychological torture and mind games until one of you just takes their own life.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 07:02:50 pm »

Not useful for warming, but if you wish to incinerate: make a campfire, jump onto the campfire tile, then drop the item. No undoing that. Only useful for keeping your world tidy.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 03:57:10 am »

Works the other way too, grabbed a helmet out of a river that froze nightly and put it on... ouch.

Bidyhackier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 12:48:26 pm »

Works the other way too, grabbed a helmet out of a river that froze nightly and put it on... ouch.
Which symbol is shown before the name of a freezing item? is it a "ˇ" instead of "!"?

on topic:you said you froze a item by letting it inside the river,could it be exploited to freeze stuffs like swords,and will the sword "coldness" transfer to whatever was hit with it?would it be possible to freeze a lot of arrows and then use a bow to fire those frozen arrows?
lol why is patience the key characteristic to defeating an elephant? I can just imagine years of psychological torture and mind games until one of you just takes their own life.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 01:09:12 pm »

Which symbol is shown before the name of a freezing item? is it a "ˇ" instead of "!"?
Neither of those is a thing. An item shows ‼ when actively burning, and nothing else. Your first warning that a fire-safe item is hot is when stuff around it starts going up in smoke and taking xXWearXx.

AFAIK, the only way to check temperature is DFHack.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 05:01:02 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 06:52:23 am »

The items warm up, and I found it in a river so it was ice cold.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 08:40:59 pm »

Interesting. That would suggest that nether-cap shields may not be the best idea, unless metal's higher heat transfer rate is relevant?

SkeleBret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I make YouTube videos
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2017, 12:45:09 pm »

... nether-cap shields may not be the best idea, unless metal's higher heat transfer rate is relevant?

For the purpose of object testing in an arena, I did some object testing in the arena called the Object Testing Arena with nether-cap shields.

The Wiki's information seems up-to-date as of v43.05. Nether-cap's internal temperature is fixed. It can still catch fire though, so if a fire imp (for example) breathes fire on it, it will catch fire, but will not be damaged or destroyed. Wielding it while it's on fire will damage the user.

Dumping a nether-cap shield into magma will destroy it, as with other nether-cap items dumped (not built) in magma.

Nether-cap cannot, however, resist dragonfire; dragonfire will light the shield on fire and destroy it.

So Nether-cap seems as good a shield to use as any. It'll stay on fire for practically (if not) forever unless you have water nearby to toss it into.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2017, 05:46:28 am »

I was referring not to it's fire-resistance but to the potential frostbite- as Max™'s river wasn't freezing yet, the helm had to have been warmer than the shield you used (till it became ‼shield‼, anyway).

SkeleBret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I make YouTube videos
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2017, 11:15:52 pm »

I was referring not to it's fire-resistance but to the potential frostbite- as Max™'s river wasn't freezing yet, the helm had to have been warmer than the shield you used (till it became ‼shield‼, anyway).

I couldn't quite understand what you meant so I just took the opportunity to do more unsolicited testing

I left a couple of dudes in the arena with nether-cap shields for a long time and they didn't seem to get frostbite, even when I made the temperature cold. Same with an iron helmet that I left encased in ice for a while, and then in cold water just to be complete. I dunno if it just takes more time than I left it in for (I assume the helmet Max™ wore was frozen for ~12 in-game hours) but I couldn't replicate it in v43.05

An interesting thing I found is that when the temperature is cold enough to cause freezing, teeth seem to be the first thing to freeze. I have no idea why that is.
Pages: [1] 2