Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Let's Play: X-COM: Enemy Within: The Redshirt Diaries  (Read 5585 times)

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
  • A sarcastic, weird nerd of many things. That's me.
    • View Profile
Let's Play: X-COM: Enemy Within: The Redshirt Diaries
« on: December 20, 2016, 09:16:48 am »

X-COM: Enemy Unknown is a turn based strategy/sci-fi game released by Firaxis and published by 2K Games on October 2012. A re-imagining of X-COM: UFO Defense, this game pits a ragtag military group's efforts to combat an invading alien force. You play as The Commander; X-COM's leader who runs the R&D departments, along with the barracks, and whips them into shape to combat the extraterrestrials. By your side is Central Officer Bradford (X-COM's second in command.), Dr. Vahlen (a scientist who's methods leave everyone at the base scared.) and Dr. Shen (the kindly Asian engineer...who runs the Foundry and makes your Alien killing arms)

Enemy Within is an expansion pack released on November 12th, 2013 in North America and on the 15th elsewhere. This game adds two new aliens to the lineup, a new enemy faction made of humans supporting the aliens, and other cool features, including MECs, Gene Modding, and the return of Base Defense from UFO Defense. We're playing that.

After I put Mount and Blade on hold because I'm easily distracted, I decided to make a new LP, one that I could focus on and finish for once. So, I'm putting this game out. I play without mods, so don't expect stuff from Long War. I like to give Rookies, Promoted People, and Others (like DLCs and Mission Rewards) color-coordinated armor, and I've never finished a game winning. This should be fun. I'll also be playing with Progeny and Slingshot, and not with any tutorials. Also, I'll have the Second Wave options "Not Created Equally" and "Training Roulette", along with Ironman Mode, because I can own up to my failures. This will be either be a screenshot LP, or a video one. Depends on how much lag recordings show. It also may be Narrative in nature. I'll have to see. Anywho.

If you want to submit a character, give them a name, a gender, and whatever language you want them to speak. They can be you, a character of your creation, or a pop culture character. Rookies will be in White, Promoted in Blue, and S-Tier (DLCs and Mission Rewards) in Red. Psi Ops will be in Purple, Gene Mods in Yellow, and MECs in Black. Because I'm like that. I will create a character of my own, but the rest will either be default or you guys.
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.
I desire, for whatever reason, to create Space Louisiana.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play: X-COM: Enemy Within: The Redshirt Diaries
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 09:47:33 am »

Are ye gonna use Long War or nein?

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 09:54:36 am »

Are ye gonna use Long War or nein?

Nyet for now. I don't have anything against Long War, I just don't have it downloaded. Maybe if the first playthrough in this thread ends in glorious, fiery death (which it might), I'll download it for the second run.
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 10:39:00 am »

Alrighty, something to keep in mind about LW is ye wanna cycle your troops. One or two teams won't cut it. A roster of 40 won't cut it if you aren't the best at tactics, hell, even if you are, you might be barely scraping by if you're going for all the missions it throws at ya. Also plan your base in advance. It's advisable.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 10:42:35 am »

Alrighty, something to keep in mind about LW is ye wanna cycle your troops. One or two teams won't cut it. A roster of 40 won't cut it if you aren't the best at tactics, hell, even if you are, you might be barely scraping by if you're going for all the missions it throws at ya. Also plan your base in advance. It's advisable.

Thanks for the tips, dude. They'll probably help. So, did you want to submit a character?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 10:44:06 am »

Sure, why not. Random asspull name says.. Steve. Pick a last name or don't

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 05:44:02 am »

Bumping the thread to add some things.

1. We have two PCs (Me and Kevak's). Once I get one more, we can start.

2. We'll be doing any Council Missions we can...including Newfoundland. Don't look it up. We'll come across it at some point. Be warned.

3. I'm confirming Screenshot, Narrative for our LP. Now, to figure out if I want to host on Imgur, or directly send in the shots from Bandicam. Is that an option? I hope it is.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 09:02:27 am »

Here's my PC:

Name: King George IX
Language: Very Fine British English
Biography: The one and only King of England. Sadly, no one else recognizes his completely legitimate claim to the throne. Worse, aliens disguised as doctors keep trying to abduct him. He hopes that by fighting the alien menace, he can reclaim his throne and use the military might of England to protect the planet.

yes he is completely insane
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 10:48:17 am »

Here's my PC:

Name: King George IX
Language: Very Fine British English
Biography: The one and only King of England. Sadly, no one else recognizes his completely legitimate claim to the throne. Worse, aliens disguised as doctors keep trying to abduct him. He hopes that by fighting the alien menace, he can reclaim his throne and use the military might of England to protect the planet.

yes he is completely insane

Awesome! Now, because I haven't done a screenshot LP before, I'll have to see how to post my images. Imgur might work, but I don't know how that would go. Dropbox may work better, but I still feel a bit stuck. I guess I need some advice, but I don't want to bog things down too much.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 11:59:34 am by Greatness942 »

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 07:37:10 pm »

If you're on Windows, use the snipping tool or some other screengrab program and then upload/paste (I think this works) them to Imgur.

print screen works too, but afaik you're not guaranteed to have that key.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2016, 08:53:44 pm »

If you've got steam, taking screen shots with F12 is really useful.

PC:
Name: whatever random name I get but nickname "Perses"
Nationality: Canadian
Language: English
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2016, 09:44:33 pm »

Newfoundland is actually a p easy council mission. I'd rank it as the hardest for the unprepared by far. But if ya know what you're getting into? It's totes easy. You can even hop into the ship and clear it out before triggering the endgame objective for that mission. It's faaar harder in Long War. Cause there's other xenos and like x5 the staring xeno type quantities. And if yer far enough along in the game ye get Bosses of said starring type.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2016, 09:48:01 pm »

In my first playthrough of that I got really lucky with it's timing. Because I had two plasma equipped squadsight Colonel snipers.

Also, requesting a character:

Name: Twin Wolf
Nationality: Doesn't really matter, but U.S.A. if available
Language: English
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 09:49:58 pm by Twinwolf »
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2016, 09:54:37 pm »

I have done the LW variant of Newfoundland with nothing but ballistics before. It's frankly easy enough that you can do it without taking a single hit.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2016, 11:59:29 pm »

@Everyone: Wow, thanks for all the tips and PCs! I'll use the Steam screenshots, since I do play on PC, then upload to Imgur. So I guess I'll try that.
And yeah, I was unprepared for Newfoundland. But for me, unprepared meant "only one guy survived out of my 5 or 6 man squad, and he was a wounded sniper." So it was my bad, yeah.

Anyway, the LP will begin either next morning (since it's 10:59 as I type this) or tomorrow.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4