Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Let's Play: X-COM: Enemy Within: The Redshirt Diaries  (Read 5567 times)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play: X-COM: Enemy Within: The Redshirt Diaries
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2016, 12:02:39 am »

Unprepared for Newfoundland can easily mean a TPK.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
  • A sarcastic, weird nerd of many things. That's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2016, 01:52:15 am »

Update: Working on the turn right now.

Second Update: I have, no joke, 95-96 images for this turn. 95-6 images I have to individually change the dimensions of. I know it sounds like an excuse, because it kind of is. But, it still means a long while. I don't want to do a video LP, because my Laptop lags like a mofo. Would you guys be fine with very large images in the thread? Then, I could copy/paste each image, at the cost of them being very large.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 05:44:12 am by Greatness942 »
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.
I desire, for whatever reason, to create Space Louisiana.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2016, 08:41:15 am »

Put them in spoilers and you should be fine. I recommend limiting yourself to 15 to 25 screen caps out of the 90+ and filling out the inbetween time with text.

Name: Lo Raine
The Rest: Whatever's necessary for Rockets.
Preferred Build: Bullet Wizard
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2016, 09:26:00 am »

Put them in spoilers and you should be fine. I recommend limiting yourself to 15 to 25 screen caps out of the 90+ and filling out the inbetween time with text.

Name: Lo Raine
The Rest: Whatever's necessary for Rockets.
Preferred Build: Bullet Wizard

Gotcha. I'll get to work on it later.
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2016, 12:25:14 pm »

Signing up!

Name: Brion Drake (Brianna Drake)
Country: America/Canada/Irish/Scottish/English/Australian preferably. If not that...then whatever.
Class: Heavy preferred but I'll make do with whatever
Tactics: Overkill
Coloration: Dark Red with full Helm if possible

Second Update: I have, no joke, 95-96 images for this turn. 95-6 images I have to individually change the dimensions of. I know it sounds like an excuse, because it kind of is. But, it still means a long while. I don't want to do a video LP, because my Laptop lags like a mofo. Would you guys be fine with very large images in the thread? Then, I could copy/paste each image, at the cost of them being very large.
Just set the size of the image in the tag, like this:
Code: [Select]
[URL=http://img.ie/][IMG width=800]http://img.ie/images/hmvbd.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
No need to manually mess with the images at all.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2016, 12:30:26 pm »

Additional tactics tips by the way:

Stick to high cover. It provides 40 defense. If you aren't able to put your troops in high cover, put em in halfcover and hunker. Hunkering in halfcover provides 60 defense. If possible. Only engage with your frontline troops when in full cover. Or end the combat in a single turn. Halfcover is better than nothing but it's shit compared to fullcover. Do what ya can to not have to engage in halfcover.

Move along the sides of maps. You have less of a chance of encountering more inactive pods when moving along the sides. Meaning less chance of being flanked.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2016, 12:43:30 pm »

Wait, are we trying NOT to get a ton of soldiers killed?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2016, 12:44:30 pm »

Yes. Soldiers are expensive.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2016, 02:07:53 pm »

And Colonels are even more expensive. XCOM tactics carry across all parts of the game, or at least the basic tactics.

Using grenades to secure kills allows you to set up riskier situations like trying to taze aliens. If it doesn't work, you can use the guaranteed grenade damage to ensure your soldiers' safety.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 02:09:37 pm by somemildmanneredidiot »
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2016, 02:16:15 pm »

Well, ok.

Couple of good tips:
   1) If you can, do all blue moves first and then come back to everyone to do yellow moves/shoot.
   2) Make sure moves that reveal territory happen first in the turn. Nothing is worse than having soldiers caught in a flank because your last move revealed a new pod.
      2.1) Follow in the footsteps of the soldiers who moved first, that way you won't get a surprise reveal
   3) Have a backup plan for every action if you can. Grenades, suppression, whatever. If a critical shot can miss or fail to kill, chances are it will.
Come play Mafia with us!

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2016, 03:12:14 pm »

Spam grenades. If you can destroy target cover before taking shots then do it. Early on it isn't worth the dead soldiers to preserve corpses and later on the same applies.

Try to get all rookies a kill on each mission.

If acid affects a xeno and it would kill it, xeno will always hunker if possible. Good way to line up tazes.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2016, 12:47:27 am »

((Sorry I haven't updated yet! Got a new computer, haven't reinstalled X-COM (Though I think it'll run much better on this computer. Role Played Video LP? Why not.). Also, anytime I go to another tab for an extended period of time, all of my progress seems to vanish. So I'll have to figure out how to update everything.))

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2017, 06:03:03 am »

Hey, remember this thread? Let's bring it back. I'm gonna re-install X-COM today/tonight, and when I do, we can rock out.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2017, 11:59:57 am »

Rose, japanese female sniper. Shes an assassin.
Awesome With Autism

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2017, 05:15:10 pm »

Gotta re-download Bandicam, but it's done installing. I do not have a definite time in which I'll update, but you can expect one soon.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4