Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Intelligentsia citadel: considerations to be aware of?  (Read 1482 times)

Urist McOmoth

• Escaped Lunatic
  • [CAN_LEARN]
    • View Profile
Intelligentsia citadel: considerations to be aware of?
« on: November 22, 2017, 12:19:01 pm »

So, my idea is to build a large fortress with a segregated population of academic nobility (the upper class), middle-management (the middle class) a ghetto for the lowest classes and a large industrialized zone with a commercial zone on the very outskirts, just within the first defensive wall.
I want the main focus of the upper classes to be scientific and magical research, as I have Masterwork.
I also want a considerable portion of the fortress to run itself, utilizing dwarfputing.
So, what considerations should I take into account?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Intelligentsia citadel: considerations to be aware of?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 02:21:06 pm »

I'm not sure whether you're looking for new-player tips on how to implement this, or sort of intermediate tips like brainstorming ideas, so i'll just make some general comments.

You can enforce the segregation by assigning dwarfs to different burrows, but that's sort of superficial.  What you really need is to plan out your infrastructure in a way that matches whatever you have in mind.

Your ghetto probably needs just a bare-bones dining hall and a big common dorm.
Middle area a nice common dining hall, everything made of stone or metal and nicely decorated.  Offices and maybe personal bedrooms.  Perhaps the tavern and general pantheon temple are here.
Elite area has fancy private dining, office, and bedrooms for all residents.  Library is here.  Maybe shrines to every individual deity.

Then put the workshops relatively near each dwarf's living area, and manage each dwarf's allowed labors (so your elite don't do mundate duties like hauling, etc.  whatever you have in mind).  Maybe an obvious comment but I would suggest not enforcing the burrows until you have all the beds, food and drinks set up in each zone.

Are some porters going to be allowed to cross the boundaries?  If so then you just need to set up stockpiles in each zone and the logistics of getting food everywhere will not be terribly complicated.  Ultimately you may want to play around with some minecart system to ferry goods from place to place, but don't suggest you do it right away.

I don't know what you actually have in mind to do with dwarfputing, since that's usually sort of a vanity project and not terribly functional.  But I'm sure people here will have ideas/help if you are a little more specific what your goals are.

coolphoton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intelligentsia citadel: considerations to be aware of?
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 01:55:29 pm »

what race your useing as well as witch version of MW would also be helpfull. did magic ever get to a working stage in the new MW? last i herd Meph was wating on a DFhack update, but that was like 3 years ago...