Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Iron = useless crossbow bolts?  (Read 5392 times)

Weizen1988

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Iron = useless crossbow bolts?
« on: December 22, 2016, 06:26:30 pm »

Ive shot this troll with like 40 iron bolts, the most its done was bruise their left cheek. Does skill impact damage too, or is troll skin just tougher than iron?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Iron = useless crossbow bolts?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 07:55:01 pm »

I take it the troll isn't armored?

Bolts are mostly useful for unarmored enemies.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 09:47:08 pm »

You sure 40 bolts hit the target?

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 10:59:52 pm »

firstly are you playing skyrim or DF? there have been a few people confused about what game this forum is for, also the answer for both games are completely opposite

im gonna assume your playing df

skill affects accuracy, so if your marksdwarves are untrained its likely that most of those 40 bolts missed

also, as weizen fleeting frames said, if the troll is armored, like say from a gobbo siege, then the armor will deflect most of the bolts because iron dosnt really have the piercing power to get past actual armor.

try sending in hammer dwarves, those work good against armored foes
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 12:33:11 pm by steel jackal »
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

Weizen1988

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 12:06:44 pm »

Ignoring the random dick insulting me for no clear reason asking if i think dwarf fortress is skyrim. The troll technically had a leather robe on, I didnt see that as terribly relevant since anything short of metal on my dwarves is treated as more or less tissue paper to just about any attack, expected that worked both ways. As to did those bolts hit, I wasnt watching the fight, just reading the combat log, and every shot that hit was was "flying iron bolt hits the troll in the X, bruising the fat (or muscle, or skin) through the (i forget what animal) leather robe" The dwarf was pretty much green as far as skills, handed them a crossbow and ordered them to go die or kill the troll (the troll wound up dying at the hands of a bunch of civilian wrestlers) In any case, its dead now, and ive learned that I have to use steel or dont bother it seems, or just kill it with fire/drowning/obsidian/rocks fall/giant black mamba pit/so on.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 12:08:27 pm by Weizen1988 »

g2knee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 12:32:37 pm »

I've had good luck with any kind of metal bolt (copper, iron, etc).  I usually don't use steel bolts since steel is somewhat rare and harder to make.  Whatever metal I have the most of, that's what I use for bolts.

Perhaps that leather cloak was exceptionally tough?  I can't think of much else.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 12:33:46 pm »

Ignoring the random dick insulting me for no clear reason asking if i think dwarf fortress is skyrim.

it was a joke and i meant no offense, sorry
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 01:16:56 pm »

steel is somewhat rare and harder to make.

If you have plentiful flux (which you can select sites fo), plenty of iron, a supply of logs and coal, and a magma smelter, steel can be churned out on repeat. It takes a little effort to set up, but once you've got a handful of pig iron bars you can set pig iron and steel to repeat on the same magma smelter forever, and just use the stocks menu to monitor charcoal/coal levels.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Weizen1988

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2016, 01:27:15 pm »

Ignoring the random dick insulting me for no clear reason asking if i think dwarf fortress is skyrim.

it was a joke and i meant no offense, sorry
Ah, see since we dont know each other or anything and this is the internet, I took it as you calling me retarded, had no real reason to think you were joking. Glad that got sorted out. Perhaps I was overly hostile.

I've had good luck with any kind of metal bolt (copper, iron, etc).  I usually don't use steel bolts since steel is somewhat rare and harder to make.  Whatever metal I have the most of, that's what I use for bolts.

Perhaps that leather cloak was exceptionally tough?  I can't think of much else.
I guess I was just expecting things to be pierced or actually harmed, instead of getting his lungs and such bruised until it died. Must have been the leather robe or something though, yeah. Wonder why they dont protect dwarves as effectively, or is that just bad luck on my part? Badgers and such can maim my dwarves through clothing, but I can shoot pointy iron spikes at someones chest and head and bruise them.

The only metal I have available is iron until i start mining candycanes, thousands and thousands of iron, huge jungle for charcoal, and several levels of flux stone, plus magma, so steel was the obvious metal, im still getting production going though, got sidetracked building taverns, libraries and temples trying to get anyone to visit, which failed, so im back on arming a military in all masterpiece steel (incidently, if im reading the armor page right, I can have a mask (under), cap(over), helm (armor) and hood (cover) on a head all at once? I gave these dwarves access to all foreign armor types, trying to come up with what is the most armored dwarf I can.)

Weizen1988

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2016, 01:29:49 pm »

steel is somewhat rare and harder to make.

If you have plentiful flux (which you can select sites fo), plenty of iron, a supply of logs and coal, and a magma smelter, steel can be churned out on repeat. It takes a little effort to set up, but once you've got a handful of pig iron bars you can set pig iron and steel to repeat on the same magma smelter forever, and just use the stocks menu to monitor charcoal/coal levels.
Ive got like 3 floors of solid flux it seems (marble is flux right?), 8 magma smelters, 4 magma forges, and thousands of iron, in a jungle embark covered in trees, ill likely run out of flux before iron though, and since im mountain home, i cant ask for anything anymore, and they dont seem to ever bring flux without you asking for it. Is there some other source of it? Or do I pretty much just have whats on this embark?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2016, 02:02:15 pm »

I believe you can combine one item of each layer, yes.
Marble is indeed flux, but with that amount I suspect you don't need that much more steel anyway.
Human caravans can occasionally bring a single boulder of something useful (the last ones for me were alabaster and gypsum, and both were stolen by mooders before I converted them into plaster...). I assume dwarven caravans can occasionally bring something useful as well (I mostly play dead civs, so I don't get dwarven caravans).
Apart from what's on the embark and what you can get from caravans, there are no additional sources of flux. Goblinite is sometimes donated in the form of steel, though.

wooks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2016, 02:10:33 pm »

I usually add the [Items_Ammo] tag to lead in the inorganic_metals.txt because I dont use lead for anything else anyway and Galena is super common. Also it makes me happy.
In a game like Dwarf Fortress, going to the wiki being cheating is like saying bringing a parachute is cheating for skydiving.
"Has it been 4 days? Better check if my penis is still there again."

Weizen1988

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2016, 02:15:22 pm »

I believe you can combine one item of each layer, yes.
Marble is indeed flux, but with that amount I suspect you don't need that much more steel anyway.
Human caravans can occasionally bring a single boulder of something useful (the last ones for me were alabaster and gypsum, and both were stolen by mooders before I converted them into plaster...). I assume dwarven caravans can occasionally bring something useful as well (I mostly play dead civs, so I don't get dwarven caravans).
Apart from what's on the embark and what you can get from caravans, there are no additional sources of flux. Goblinite is sometimes donated in the form of steel, though.
I doubted id use that much steel either, I just never get around to mining it out, every time i mine out an area without a plan i end up screwing myself over later on.  Sort of thing like, thanks to this random hole i dug to get this ore I cant build X or have a big ugly patch of unengravable walls in the middle of something.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2016, 02:30:46 pm »

I wonder if the troll robes act like ogre robes that it deflects a whole lot of metal weapon attacks. 

The troll could be super fat that it can take 40 bolt shots and only getting bruised.

Weizen1988

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2016, 03:13:38 pm »

I wonder if the troll robes act like ogre robes that it deflects a whole lot of metal weapon attacks. 

The troll could be super fat that it can take 40 bolt shots and only getting bruised.
Might be, or im just unlucky, and if were being honest, it was probably more mid 30's number of bolts, i just stopped actually counting after 30 went back to building my swimming pool, and had several more on the list of attacks that i didnt count, so rounded up to next 10. Does fat do that? So getting my dwarves mildly obese would actually protect them better? Are there some foods better at making them fat than others? Should I feed them only cheese and beer or something?
Pages: [1] 2