Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18

Author Topic: Roll to Become a Hero: See, bees are trained to fly haphazardly  (Read 25967 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Become a Hero: See, bees are trained to fly haphazardly
« Reply #240 on: May 18, 2017, 07:11:27 pm »

((Also adwarf.))
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 18, 2017, 07:13:18 pm »

smith will follow the group.
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 19, 2017, 11:29:06 pm »

((That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even adwarf may update at some point.))
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 19, 2017, 11:44:04 pm »

Quote from: steam
Dermonster: if I can update my raggedy ass fic you can update your raggedy ass quest :v
SCHROEDINGERS RICKY: its a very common occurence I know, but man I get a lot of these order forms a day
SCHROEDINGERS RICKY: oh, RtBaH
SCHROEDINGERS RICKY: that ragged ass thing
Dermonster: so ragged. so ass.
SCHROEDINGERS RICKY: yeah, will definitely update tonight or tomorrow. gotta punch a thing to get it going

He's in the process of punching a thing.

Presumably a tattered donkey.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Roll to Become a Hero: See, bees are trained to fly haphazardly
« Reply #245 on: May 20, 2017, 03:23:35 pm »

In a faraway land

A dwarf crouches over the freshly punched corpse of a donkey with an ale in hand before muttering,

"Oh, shite. I forgot to check if the pot of stew was off before I left.

Eh, it should be fine. Not like its going to spawn some kind of killer mega-slime anyway."

Stevi & the GoatsTM keep following the group. Stevi activates the goats' high-alert mode.
You prod your goats before shouting about being on high-alert in case something non-Goaty appears, an action that seems to bring success as the goats go rigid for a moment before appearing far more aware. Humming with satisfaction you follow along with the rest of the party.

"Ah, well, that's not good."
Take a very quick scan of the horizon and then duck back into the cave, back with the party.

"You know that guy who we left outside? Something bit his neck out and then set him on fire."
A quick scan of the horizon reveals a spoopy gh- oh, wait. That's just your shadow.

Entire Party, Onward!

After gathering together at last, our intrepid adventurers head further into the depths of this slime infested cavern with Stevi's Goat fanned out towards the front alongside Stevi himself and the mighty Jase, Wielder of Far Too Many Weapons. A rather smooth stone tunnel awaits you, bending ever so slightly towards the left as you go until finally taking a sharp turn where one of Stevi's goats immediately begins to aggressively stomp at the ground while bleating towards the end of the tunnel with something similar to anger. Such a forewarning allows you to ready yourselves in time for what awaits beyond the bend- the mighty slime horde. If a slime horde consisted of only seven of them though you do find he shiny grey one somewhat more threatening than the average slime.

Spoiler: Initiative Order (click to show/hide)

FIGHT

Spoiler: Loot (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Chronus, Dermonster (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Undead Rat (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Stevi, Caellath (click to show/hide)

GSSR Active: +2 to Goat Spots
Spoiler: Farm Goat Companions (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Elizabeth (click to show/hide)

Enemies
Spoiler: Small Slime 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Small Slime 2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Small Slime 3 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Small Slime 4 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Small Slime 5 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Small Slime 6 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: ??? Slime (click to show/hide)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 20, 2017, 03:28:59 pm »

"Alright boys, time to fight for our lives!" Chronus shouts. "Focus them down one at a time, dwindle their numbers! Save the big guy for last!"

(That means attack the slimes numerically. everybody target 1, then add a conditional to target 2 if he's dead, 3 if 2 is dead, and so on.)

Withering blast Slime 1. If he's dead, slime 2. And so on.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 20, 2017, 08:35:59 pm »

"Nah, screw that."

Snipe the gray slime first.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Become a Hero: Goats are Great with a capital "G"
« Reply #249 on: May 20, 2017, 09:41:04 pm »

"Ayy, getchem!" Stevi shouted at the goats as he swung his staff.

Stevi & the GoatsTM focus their attacks against a single slime (starting with 1 and moving from there), moving on to others if the slime dies before all attacks are applied. Wounded farm goats should retreat for safety.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 09:46:30 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 20, 2017, 09:45:55 pm »

Jase wields his shield and longsword, slashing at any slime that attacks him, or Slime 1. Or slime 2 or whatever.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 21, 2017, 11:13:41 pm »

Smith grabs the kit shield and starts swinging his hammer at slime 1 or 2 or whatever.
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 22, 2017, 10:53:51 pm »

I got a little bored and decided I wanted to write a bit about the RtBaH setting while working on the update, so here! Have a bit of knowledge about how the world works.

Advance note: entirely possible that this is incomprehensible, I've tried my best to write this coherently.

What are levels?

You guys may notice you start out at level 1 and your ultimate achievement in the case of this game is to achieve level 10 thus becoming a
'hero'. However, I've not really made it clear why level 10 itself is a significant number aside from it being your end goal and I'd like to fill in that gap.

Levels aren't some kind of mechanic separate from the world that I use to quantify how powerful your characters are, but quite literally part of the world's laws. Leveling up is a part of life for the people of this setting though most don't have such an in-depth view of it as you guy's get and it is in fact quite rare to even be at Level 1 in the first place. From the start you guys were/are special existences since you've managed to somehow be noticed by the World itself thus granting you a Level and allowing you to tread the path of becoming a Hero.

Leveling isn't something that technically requires killing, thought it is the fastest, and it is quite possible to level solely through acquiring vast amounts of knowledge, or through extensive amounts of training. For the most part the many beings in existence will spend the majority of their lives never achieving Level 1, some farmers may spend ninety years toiling away in the fields before finally leveling up.

With that in mind lets work on the requirement of going from level 1 to 2, an act that requires 40 XP and which most of you guys only earn in 4 XP increments from kills. Your average person won't be able to accept quests, or at least wouldn't be mad enough to, as they imply a level of danger that can only be countered through teamwork, sheer numbers, and a good degree of luck. So, most would resort to hunting down local dangers and would need to kill about ten enemies on the level of a wolf or slime without any outside aid (as a second hand risks them losing all their XP).

Imagine a single farmer with little more than a pitchfork fighting wolves to the death, each fight would inevitably incur wounds that would take time to heal and they would lack the funds for medical treatment that could reduce their down time. From there it only gets worse as reaching Level 2 may give them greater strength, but also requires them to kill twice the number of enemies they did before. Certainly the Level 2 Farmer could go in search of stronger enemies who would grant more XP, but the chance of death then explodes upward rapidly until it's pretty much certain death (excluding sudden bullshit luck).

On top of the need for more kills required to level each time there is a reduction in XP gained from weaker enemies after breaking through from Level 3 to Level 4 as the slimes you once slaughtered for XP now only give 2. A similar thing will happen when reaching level 7 as well reducing XP from such low rank creatures to literally nothing as the power you'd gain from killing them isn't even on a useful level. Essentially the path level 10 is endless danger and few are suited, or equipped with the means to tread upon it (you the players included).

In terms of leveling without killing you’d need to understand that Leveling up isn’t just some statistics increases. In setting when you level up your body literally takes a step towards ascendance, each level a step further towards what you could call ‘Divinity’. For simple training and study to advance this you’d need to forge your skills and body to a level that surpasses the human norm. Even the most dedicated soldier would take nearly ten years to level from 1 to 2 solely through training and that’s assuming they have the resources to allow their body to keep that pace.

With knowledge it’s a bit more hazy as its directly related to the knowledge you’ve occured, dozens of books (each with new, unknown content) on fishing might be required before you level up. However, it could take the mastery of only three simplistic tomes on magic to go from level 1 to 2 since the value of that knowledge is higher. Of course, the value of the knowledge needed will grow with each level so hundreds of unique tomes on the specifics of fishing would be required to go from 2 to 3 and so on.

Now, with that said I can get into why Level 10 itself is an important achievement. Once a person reaches Level 10 they essentially shed their original form and become an ascendant form of their original race. What this entails is a vastly increased vitality, higher mana/divine power/etc capacity, typically longer lifespans, and they can finally wield strength on par with the truly weakest of demons trying to exterminate everything.

Note: For the longer lifespan aspect it will vary based on the person since a person well used to nature magic will have a far longer lifespan than a necromancer (the necromancer will in fact have a reduced lifespan).

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 22, 2017, 11:16:07 pm »

(Untill said necromancer becomes a lich, that is.)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 22, 2017, 11:30:18 pm »

;D
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18