Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18

Author Topic: Roll to Become a Hero: See, bees are trained to fly haphazardly  (Read 25928 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Become a Hero the Rebecoming
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2016, 11:01:59 pm »

Yay, nice comfy cloak. Totally worth killing that one dude and taking all his money to try to Become a Hero.

Get a shortsword, light crossbow, 5 heavy bolts, 2 throwing axes, kite shield, leather armor.

90+100+(24*5)+(30*2)+85+60=515
660-515=145

Leaving 145 gold.

Having acquired sufficient armament, go find some books to read about common monsters.

Beirus, I'll offer to loan you 100 gold with 10 interest per mission, if you like.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2016, 03:17:39 am »

((I'll consider it because damn it I want to know about that pendant IC. I need to get the large ruby I have appraised first, though, and I might take a loan for the rest.

Adwarf, where's the other pale sword I took from the loot pile and never sold? It was never put into my inventory, but I never said I returned it to the loot pile. And what happened with the XP scaling? Is XP going to be more abundant? I have other stuff I want to ask you too involving the apparent hard times that cost me and Derm all our money but somehow didn't manage to give us any useful experience or knowledge, but I'll wait until if I see you in IRC.

Egan, if Jase has the sword he'd probably give it to you for that loan without the interest. If you purify it you would have an anti-evil/undead weapon. I dunno how much that would cost, though. You could try to do it yourself like Jase did, but that might have very bad consequences if you fail.))

Spend more time training to see if I make a breakthrough. Whether or not I do, go get that large ruby appraised afterwards. Introduce myself to the shopkeeper. If I can get at least 100 gold for it, take it and go get the pendant looked at. If not, go see if the clerics will look at my pendant in exchange for the Ruby. If so, let them. If not, go cash in the ruby for the previously appraised amount and see about borrowing the missing amount I need from Elizabeth. Don't trade the Ruby if the merchant tries to rip me off after I come back. If at any point it would help my case and not harm it, bring up how our party was the one to clear this fort of bandits. If that would hurt my relationship with any of the vendors or trainers here, don't bring it up.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 04:23:07 am by Beirus »
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2016, 04:35:24 am »

((I could except a shiny magic sword for that loan, sure.))

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2016, 07:59:03 am »

"Allathat fo' som goats? Hellifa gonna find mo' expensive stuff o' ther." Stevi eloquently complained, peppering his charmingly-accented language with colorful hand flourishing, gesturing, and the occasional pelvic-thrusting. Of course he still wanted to acquire some goats, but the price seemed irresponsible if he wanted to purchase a small herd plus keep some pocket money for basic necessities. "Lessay I wanna buy a coupla goats. There a bulk discount?"

Goat-haggle like a true goat herder.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2016, 03:19:05 pm »

Thank you kindly sir, and do you know if there is any place where I could study up on smithing?

For now just buy a set of fine iron plate mail leaving me with 350 gold. Then see if there's a book or trainer that I would be able to learn some more basic smithing from.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 03:10:59 am by MidnightJaguar »
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2016, 08:21:44 am »

IN!

*Sees Waitlist*

FeelsBadMan

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 08:25:12 am by ATHATH »
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2016, 09:49:39 pm »

Forgot to place this in the OP, will help explain some of the random words smacked all over the weapons.

Spoiler: Attack Categories (click to show/hide)

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2016, 12:10:21 pm »

Forgot to place this in the OP, will help explain some of the random words smacked all over the weapons.

Spoiler: Attack Categories (click to show/hide)
Can you edit that into the OP?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2016, 12:23:46 pm »

Can you edit that into the OP?

Man I wish bay12 had threadmarks.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Roll to Become a Hero the Rebecoming - Rats, actually hard to catch
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2017, 03:25:55 am »

Asa's purchases are as follows;

Fine Iron Platemail (-400 G, 350 G remaining)
Short Spear (-100 G, 250 G remaining)
Sturdy Iron Kiteshield (-85 G, 165 G remaining)

He then peruses around town for someone magically inclined, and whom might be willing to teach for a fee.
After purchasing some new gear you spend your time exploring the fort in search of someone with an understanding of magic who may be able to teach you the mystical arts, but sadly your search turns up nothing. Perhaps there are none here?

Well then! Time for the harvest! Butcher ten or so rats and harvest their skulls. Kill two more and use Raise Corpse on them. Make sure they are as outwardly unharmed as possible. Lifelike is neccessary! Put the rest of my mana into the skulls.
Drawing an axe you set about harvesting your puny prey with great ease, each blow slicing two or three rats in hal- who are you kidding? You spent almost ten minutes flailing uselessly trying to slay a group of rats you are almost certain have evolved into some kind of ninja creatures. Frustrated, you stand tired and sweating at the entrance after having failed abysmally.

Yay, nice comfy cloak. Totally worth killing that one dude and taking all his money to try to Become a Hero.

Get a shortsword, light crossbow, 5 heavy bolts, 2 throwing axes, kite shield, leather armor.

90+100+(24*5)+(30*2)+85+60=515
660-515=145

Leaving 145 gold.

Having acquired sufficient armament, go find some books to read about common monsters.

Within moments you've filled your arms with new goodies to accompany you on your journey and hastily pay the smith before dashing off to find some books on the local dangers. It doesn't take long to find one such book being sold at the general store, where the somewhat creepy shopkeeper stares at you with a grin on his face and two fingers rubbing together incessantly as if expecting payment.

Spend more time training to see if I make a breakthrough. Whether or not I do, go get that large ruby appraised afterwards. Introduce myself to the shopkeeper. If I can get at least 100 gold for it, take it and go get the pendant looked at. If not, go see if the clerics will look at my pendant in exchange for the Ruby. If so, let them. If not, go cash in the ruby for the previously appraised amount and see about borrowing the missing amount I need from Elizabeth. Don't trade the Ruby if the merchant tries to rip me off after I come back. If at any point it would help my case and not harm it, bring up how our party was the one to clear this fort of bandits. If that would hurt my relationship with any of the vendors or trainers here, don't bring it up.
You would like to strive for a breakthrough in your combat skills, but your training partner promptly retires leaving you to handle your other tasks in place of yet more practice. Shortly after you enter the general store and before you can even introduce yourself to the shopkeeper he scowls at you, recoiling slightly away from you for a moment.

"State your business and let us complete any transactions quickly, I wish not to tire myself with your kind."

When you ask him to appraise the ruby you bring out the man looks at you in disdain, but reluctantly takes the ruby to inspect with a set of magnifying glasses followed by an odd clear crystal stick that he taps against it twice. Strangely enough the crystal seems to hum after the two taps and the shopkeep nods his head before replying,

"I'll give you one hundred and seventy five gold for the ruby, not a coin more. Here, if you want the money then take it, and begone."

A purse seems to appear in his palm out of thin air which he promptly tosses onto the table, and in an even weirder twist of events the man grins broadly after you take the coins, though only for a second as the ruby swiftly disappears. Off-put by the exchange you make your way to the shrine and pay the priest to appraise your pendant.

As the priest grasps the pendant in his hand a pale blue light shrouds his entire arm before beginning to twine itself around the crystal necklace slowly, threads of light twisting into complex shapes that you can't describe. Mere moments after the pendant is covered in these light structures they shatter into motes of light and disappear while, to your amazement, blood begins to ooze out of the priest's ears, mouth, and even eyes. Shaken for some reason, the priest returns your pendant.

"That artifact is one of particularly powerful divine origin, with my strength I am afraid I cannot understand its origins without a high risk of death from exposure to such a pure source of Divine strength. You have found quite the treasure, now I must rest. Excuse me."

Without further word the man disappears into a room on the far side of the shrine.

"Allathat fo' som goats? Hellifa gonna find mo' expensive stuff o' ther." Stevi eloquently complained, peppering his charmingly-accented language with colorful hand flourishing, gesturing, and the occasional pelvic-thrusting. Of course he still wanted to acquire some goats, but the price seemed irresponsible if he wanted to purchase a small herd plus keep some pocket money for basic necessities. "Lessay I wanna buy a coupla goats. There a bulk discount?"

Goat-haggle like a true goat herder.
Something about your words rings true with this strangely dressed man, perhaps it was your graceful way with words or maybe even the masterful way you emphasized certain words with just the right amount of pelvic thrusts, but the shopkeep seems to give way somewhat.

"For a fellow lover of the arts such as yourself I am willing to drop the price for farm goats to a mere one-hundred gold, and for the finest mountain goat breeds I can bare to spare with a measly two-hundred and fifty. How many are you looking to buy my friend?"

Earn a Friend, General Store Shopkeep

Thank you kindly sir, and do you know if there is any place where I could study up on smithing?

For now just buy a set of fine iron plate mail leaving me with 350 gold. Then see if there's a book or trainer that I would be able to learn some more basic smithing from.
After purchasing a suit of armor for yourself you confer with the smith on the best way to study smithing to which the dwarf grunts and replies,

"I can teach you personally for about a hundred gold a session, but I can't guarantee you'll learn it in one. Chances are you'll need a few to pick up the trade. If that's too pricey for you then try asking that General Store shopkeep, strange fellow, but he has a knack for obtaining things."

Spoiler: Chronus, Dermonster (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Stevi, Caellath (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Asa Giles, Coolrune206 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Elizabeth, Egan_BW (click to show/hide)

((Adwarf, where's the other pale sword I took from the loot pile and never sold? It was never put into my inventory, but I never said I returned it to the loot pile. And what happened with the XP scaling? Is XP going to be more abundant? I have other stuff I want to ask you too involving the apparent hard times that cost me and Derm all our money but somehow didn't manage to give us any useful experience or knowledge, but I'll wait until if I see you in IRC.))
1.) I added the pale sword back to your inventory. My mistake there, apologies.

2.) XP to level has been quadrupled, but so has all XP gains. I did this to fix how exceptional potential works, makes it work effectively and removes the dumb way I was handling it in the previous iteration of RtBaH.

3.) In setting Kringle placed you on the far side of the country, so you and Derm spent all your cash getting back here. You used safe methods of travel, because you guys aren't high enough level or well enough equipped to deal with dangers in the south. Also, its for balancing allowing you guys to take your old characters :v I wanted to make it at least somewhat fair.

If you still have more questions, feel free to drop them to me via PM or IRC or here. Your choice!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2017, 03:28:17 am »

God damnit! CORPSES FOR THE CORPSE LORD, SKULLS FOR THE MANA THRONE!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2017, 09:29:04 am »

Asa locates a tavern and investigates how the puny liquor of this place measures up to his constitution.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 10:53:14 am by Coolrune206 »
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2017, 01:11:41 am »

You just asked me for gold, and didn't say how much! Toss the guy one gold and take the book.

"If you want more than that, you should try using your words."

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2017, 01:29:14 am »

((Ooh, this should be interesting.))

So it's connected to some divine, then? Head into the shrine and pray to the gods to try and figure out which one made the amulet. If that doesn't work, try one more time while grasping the amulet. If I make contact, see if that God would be willing to accept me as a follower.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2017, 07:18:32 am »

"Yah, grate. Imma get three norms an' one mount'n." Stevi replied, holding up a number of fingers that didn't match his stated number. He was glad his new friend was as appreciative of the majesty of goats as he was despite how weird he looked. "Now, there sum healin' booze an' other ad-veen-turin' stuff in ther?" he inquired.

He knew heroes had booze that could heal their wounds, and ever since he'd heard of it, he wondered about the taste. Would it taste as good as fine goat-farm moonshine?

Purchase 1 mountain goat and 3 normal goats for a total of 550 gold. Ask about other general store goods, such as healing items.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18