Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How do/have you played dwarf fortress

I've always played with just the original game.
- 38 (50.7%)
I started out with other textures but then later switched back to the ascii
- 17 (22.7%)
I've always played with textures changed
- 10 (13.3%)
I started out with the original ascii but later switched to other textures
- 10 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Who has always used the Original ascii pack of DF?  (Read 3359 times)

Orangefriedegg

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Shookith
    • View Profile
Who has always used the Original ascii pack of DF?
« on: December 26, 2016, 05:10:50 pm »

Just wondering who else uses the original ascii textures
Yes.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Who has always used the Original ascii pack of DF?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 06:54:15 pm »

When you say "original ascii" you mean the Curses tileset, right? There is a pure text mode, but I doubt many play it regularly and it's not default.

Does swapping the curses tileset for the larger one included with the vanilla game count? Or swapping for any other non-graphical tileset?

I find the default set too small so used to use the bigger one, then (after some experimentation with graphics and such) I found Taffer's set was more pleasing to the eye, so use that now.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 07:07:27 pm »

I've always used the default ASCII tiles, graphcs sets always looked too cluttered to me. On top of that, when a lot of objects share a tile with other objects, I'd rather have more abstract tiles than more detailed ones.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 07:34:27 pm »

When LNP is not available I use ascii but I prefer 8x8 tiles, not the original 8x12 version.
I do not prefer ascii graphics, but I think I'm OK without graphics because I've been playing this game since 2008.

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 08:15:57 pm »

I used to think that tilesets looked nice, but my opinion has changed and curses is a clear winner. It just looks clean, and it's just beautiful, in it's own way.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 07:13:20 pm »

Never switched the default tileset.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 06:09:03 pm »

I like the default tileset, it's easier to understand. The custom tiles are confusing, and I can't always tell what's going on. Why learn a new tileset from scratch, when this one works so well?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 05:32:12 pm »

I started with the original ASCII since I'm used to games like Nethack, but unlike other roguelikes, where I'm just so used to the terminal graphics that it feels weird to use a tileset, I never really got attached to the curses tiles and generally find the tilesets bring some clarity to the interface.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 05:36:25 am »

ASCII forever, basically.

No external tools.

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2017, 11:58:57 pm »

<waves>
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2017, 08:17:24 pm »

I started ASCII, went into graphics, and came back to ASCII
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2017, 01:05:56 am »

DF was my first text based roguelike. I played with a graphic set at first, but quickly moved to ASCII and love how bold and abstract it is. Prefer to use different tilesets from the default, but only ones which are basically just fonts.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2017, 05:57:12 am »

Started on default Curses until I learned how to add new tilesets, and have been experimenting ever since. IMO the appeal of ascii is the inherent modability (also appealing is the readability, but I wouldn't necessarily call that inherent), and there are any number of personal tastes that can be catered to. Things like diagonal wall corners can change the entire feel of a fortress. Same with the tileset's depiction of your dwarves - are they smiling or do they look like little gnomes or. . .? Little changes can make huge differences, and I think it's particularly refreshing to use a new tileset ever few worlds I gen.

So, no, I no longer use the default tileset.

I'm interested, however, as to whether people play with the 'varied ground tiles' setting enabled. When you're learning it's a bit much, since it results in 4 different symbols depicting the same terrain, but when I passed that stage I turned it on and never looked back. Especially in the newer versions with their insane grass and plant variety, I think that the multi-symbol depiction of a default terrain tile gives a wilderness sort of feeling. It serves to represent the messy underbrush that is normal for so many kinds of forest, as well as representing the 'a dwarf just carved this tunnel with a pickaxe, so things aren't exactly flat' feeling you would get after walking into a fledging outpost.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2017, 08:22:56 am »

i usually can't be bothered to change from ASCII

i use graphics for mods where i want special tiles but i still play with all ASCII and no creature graphics, just UI graphics that i hacked in

(not like buttons but just indicators of stuff for mod things)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2017, 11:57:20 am »

Started with Phoebus & LNP, then switched to ASCII to test v0.40 right as it came out.

I tried and enjoyed Obsidian with TwbT, but I mainly use ASCII because I mostly play on the latest DF version.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: [1] 2