Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: {looks @ DF then @ simulation theory}  (Read 1976 times)

flameaway

• Bay Watcher
  • Skeptical Optimist
    • View Profile
{looks @ DF then @ simulation theory}
« on: December 29, 2016, 08:05:30 am »

{eyes Toady with suspicion}

God...?
1) What?  Hey! Give me a break; I'm just a complex series of chemical reactions going about my business.

2) Legalize Plump Helmets.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
Re: {looks @ DF then @ simulation theory}
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 04:26:32 pm »

Yee.

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 06:07:55 am »

There are no Feelings in DF, only Wants.

Insufficient Wants being fulfilled results in MAD.

There is no Thought in DF, only Wants.

Insufficient Wants does not result in Thought, only MAD.

There is no Waste in DF, only garbage which eats into Wants. No sickness, no death.
The only common factor is that it makes MAD.

Bring back the other gods, Slaanesh, you dirty swine.

oh_no

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 08:56:50 am »

Magma-Assured Destruction?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 10:10:26 am »

Yes.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 12:25:01 pm »

I wonder how far the simulation will go. It'd be pretty cool to have DF running entirely self sustaining coherent worlds that could go on around the player like an actual world. Currently the mechanics peter out a bit after worldgen ends. You don't see farmers tending the fields or people running workshops yet. There's not really any supply chain you can interact with. It all just stops at the moment. Parts go on, there are definitely parties moving on the map. Just the stuff that really makes a people live goes down when you start playing.

He'll get there. We just have to give him time.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 04:56:49 pm »

I wonder how far the simulation will go. It'd be pretty cool to have DF running entirely self sustaining coherent worlds that could go on around the player like an actual world. Currently the mechanics peter out a bit after worldgen ends. You don't see farmers tending the fields or people running workshops yet. There's not really any supply chain you can interact with. It all just stops at the moment.

Well, even if they were self aware, they wouldn't be aware of it all just coming to an end, unexpec

press e to embark
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 10:27:40 pm »

It's more like "I suddenly lost my appetite. And I'm no longer thirsty. When's the last time I needed to sleep? I'm not tired anymore." It's not over, just the things that drive life suddenly end for everyone except some random schlub in some backwater hamlet, fortress, pit, or tree camp. There's some things that go on, like bandits and location stuff, but the real driving forces for civilization suddenly stop mattering. It's all about family, fun, and telling random people all the rumors you've heard.

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 01:05:21 am »

"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Sbcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [MALFUNCTIONING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 04:42:10 am »

From what im reading. The world will start to become much more alive as soon as the economy is tweaked more towards supply and demand. This will create the need for stuff, and allow for cool stuff to happen. Over time, a strong enough AI in the game could create the scenario you are wanting.
To the beer!

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 09:07:20 am »

Exactly. The best way I can see to manage that is to extend the Adventurer's survival needs to everyone. It'd be the basis for everything once Toady gets the ball sufficiently rolling. Once everyone needs to eat, there'll be an impetus to get farmers and hunters out there doing their jobs. Once there's a sustainable supply of food, there'll need to be other jobs so people can pay for the food. And there'll be needs for other things besides survival so that those other jobs actually have a purpose.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 09:26:18 am »

The problem is that as the simulation gets deeper, the game will be forced to run slower.  Toady has to find balance beween a good simulation and a playable game.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 07:49:24 pm »

How about a compromise? Food appears out of nowhere, proportional to the size of the village, the wealth of the village, and the current scarcity level of food for that civ/location. If an adventurer is nearby, food-eating is simulated. If an adventurer suddenly appears nearby, being-halfway-through-food is simulated. If not, then people-dying-from-starvation-and-reducing-population-levels is simulated.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 10:18:10 pm »

The problem is that as the simulation gets deeper, the game will be forced to run slower.  Toady has to find balance beween a good simulation and a playable game.

It depends on the big advances they make in future tech. Anything I'm talking about is probably a good decade ahead of us. We already saw gains made from Toady switching to 64 bit. Not a full game changer, but gains. The game's big bottleneck is its single thread nature. If a big breakthrough is made that improves the power of a single core, within the next decade, we might see a core capable of crunching heavy duty numbers like what DF would need.

Toady has already said he wants interchangeability. He wants to be able to meld the two modes in different ways. So all this stuff I'm talking about is pretty much a necessity for Toady's future goals. A world without needs and logistics just has no place in it for adventure fortresses beyond the camps we get now, and the half step simulation wouldn't work for what I want, because I'd rather meld into a plain-clothes character, open a skill-based shop like a smithy, and see how a regular person with a player's special perspective can affect the world without necessarily going to war and doing everything for the rest of the world.

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2017, 04:45:08 pm »

The problem is that as the simulation gets deeper, the game will be forced to run slower.
Yes but if you had infinite processing power then you could just speed up the timescale so that the simulation runs faster than the host universe! (Possible to escape heat death by transferring your consciousness to the simulation?) Say, a black hole programmed as a turing machine programmed to create a black hole programmed as a turing machine programmed to create a simulation of the universe containing a simulation of your consciousness. The computational power problem becomes an energy problem rather than a time problem, so as long as you have a big enough black hole to start with, you can process an unimaginable amount of information.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 04:52:28 pm by FakerFangirl »
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username
Pages: [1] 2