Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: more divine everything  (Read 1470 times)

KuudereChef

• Bay Watcher
  • forgot to feed themself
    • View Profile
more divine everything
« on: December 30, 2016, 05:32:04 pm »

first off deities
  There isn't much that deities really do other than have people pray to them, create angels, and curse people who defile their shrines. what if gods could go to a town where a demon is posing as them and have some sort of epic battle. or maybe gods can appear before dedicated worshipers and tell them sort sort of prophecy, such as another deity collaborating with a demon, or some other event. they could maybe then give the listener magic abilities.

Also the whole system of religion is kind of boring. it would be more interesting if either replacing or being in addition to praying, dwarves would do some sort of action relating to their gods sphere. for example if they serve a god of lust they will try to court a nearby individual, or if they serve a god of war, and they're a diplomat, they may try to incite fighting with a visiting civilizations trade group. or for a god of gambling, the worshiper gambles at a nearby inn, for a god of labor they work extra hard, etc.

-------------------------------------------
now, divine metals

this first part is pretty much just me ranting
  ...There aren't that many and those that do exist are of spheres that aren't especially interesting (my favorite sphere lust has no metal which is why i'm complaining to be honest). plus they also don't have any uniqueness to them, like any special effects relating to that metal, which makes them kind of a waste compared to adamantine, as adamantine is more useful in a lot of situations, and simply needs to be mined, rather than having to go through one of, if not THE hardest areas of the game. plus there aren't any special effects, such as flickering metal casting itself on fire when used, or singing metal items being usable as instruments, regardless of the item. or bright metal being more powerful in the day, pockmarked metal causing deformity, bright metal being used to shine light in a foes face, etc.

so, what would make divine metals more worth it? items exclusive to divine metals. for example I have an idea for an item, Bells. Bells ring at certain times you set by a dwarf with the temple occupation Bell-Ringer. the sound of a bells is loud and can be heard throughout the fortress. some dwarfs like the sound of bells, possibly bells made of certain materials, while others may dislike the sound and possibly go insane if the hear it very often at close proximity. Anyway, what if when a bell retrieved from a vault (made from divine metal), it may ring on its own. the bell ringing on its own may signify some sort of divine event, and may even change a dwarfs religion due to the sheer awe of the event. or some sort of idols that can be made of divine metals that shields the holder from the wrath of a god with the same spheres. or some sort of other interesting item that plays with what can happen in the worlds story involving mortals and their gods, basicly.
raw death! praise the miners!

pkrums

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: more divine everything
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 08:49:02 pm »

A new strange mood: divine inspiration.

KuudereChef

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 01:03:18 am »

A new strange mood: divine inspiration.
are you a saint?

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 10:41:26 am »

I don't think I'd wanna know about the divine metal or cloth for lust...

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 07:18:26 am »

Sock of Lust.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

KuudereChef

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 05:41:54 pm »

wet metal ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 07:58:45 pm »

Isn't there already "vibrating metal"?

KuudereChef

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 02:46:38 pm »

seriously though, is anyone going to actually give any critiques on the suggestions i put?

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 03:15:26 pm »

Sock of Lust.

I believe this did exist in earlier versions.

Well, lust for socks at least.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2017, 04:08:03 pm »

Sock of Lust.
I believe this did exist in earlier versions.

Well, lust for socks at least.
Wars would be waged for this one. The sock that launched a thousand rocs/rocks.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 10:24:31 am »

Also the whole system of religion is kind of boring. it would be more interesting if either replacing or being in addition to praying, dwarves would do some sort of action relating to their gods sphere. for example if they serve a god of lust they will try to court a nearby individual, or if they serve a god of war, and they're a diplomat, they may try to incite fighting with a visiting civilizations trade group. or for a god of gambling, the worshipper gambles at a nearby inn, for a god of labor they work extra hard, etc.

The activities of the individual worshippers may already be in-line with their preferred deities through their traits, and intended to do more in the future. Greedy dwarves that worship the god of Jewels or Wealth may well be intended to get involved with *theft*, *murder*, or *trade* if another has something they desire. Have you compared a large enough set of dwarfs for their traits compared to their chosen deities, to see if they match up well? The social interactions of theft/murder/trade are likely planned and may have bits for religion or diety influences. I still don't know why the miller punched his wife in the dining hall and then got kicked to death by a mob, but it could have been a philosophical argument since that dining room was also a temple.

...There aren't that many and those that do exist are of spheres that aren't especially interesting (my favorite sphere lust has no metal which is why i'm complaining to be honest). plus they also don't have any uniqueness to them, like any special effects relating to that metal, which makes them kind of a waste compared to adamantine, as adamantine is more useful in a lot of situations, and simply needs to be mined, rather than having to go through one of, if not THE hardest areas of the game. plus there aren't any special effects, such as flickering metal casting itself on fire when used, or singing metal items being usable as instruments, regardless of the item. or bright metal being more powerful in the day, pockmarked metal causing deformity, bright metal being used to shine light in a foes face, etc.
Most religions and philosophies are founded in the real-life means of survival for the group. Social/work ethics, and recognition of how something in nature provides the means for the group's survival. An individual metal might be important as a means for survival, but why would a metal be associated with the "sphere of lust"? The clerics and verse would preach loudly that, "the bodies are the tools that must be worked!"

so, what would make divine metals more worth it? items exclusive to divine metals. for example I have an idea for an item, Bells. Bells ring at certain times you set by a dwarf with the temple occupation Bell-Ringer. the sound of a bells is loud and can be heard throughout the fortress. some dwarfs like the sound of bells, possibly bells made of certain materials, while others may dislike the sound and possibly go insane if the hear it very often at close proximity. Anyway, what if when a bell retrieved from a vault (made from divine metal), it may ring on its own. the bell ringing on its own may signify some sort of divine event, and may even change a dwarfs religion due to the sheer awe of the event. or some sort of idols that can be made of divine metals that shields the holder from the wrath of a god with the same spheres. or some sort of other interesting item that plays with what can happen in the worlds story involving mortals and their gods, basicly.
Large bells would be a cool addition to temples and to fortresses. They should not need to be made of some special material but if they are, better.
seriously though, is anyone going to actually give any critiques on the suggestions i put?
You picked out the example of your favorite sphere missing a chosen metal... in that context, there is gonna be laughing.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?