Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Instant Domestication - Artifact level training  (Read 917 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Instant Domestication - Artifact level training
« on: December 31, 2016, 03:06:57 pm »

My core suggestion is that animal trainers can moodibly train creatures to domestic training level once & earn a healthy amount of creature experience at the same time based off the current formula in the game of (creature value = training experience)

I believe this would be useful because currently player investment in animals is largely superficial to the means of end, and impractical creatures like egg layers (crundles particularly) are difficult to manage. A mood (with all the other conflicting moodable skills) would be rare enough to suffice that you could build a valued creature bloodline & build upon your civilization knowledge in a practical way that carries on between fortresses.

From the current cap limit of 'Expert' animal knowledge usually attained by many, MANY cheap worth animal training exercises as well as a select few rarer creatures, a mood will surpass this to domesticate a already trained non domestic creature in your care. If the trainer is not already assigned, they will randomly choose a trainable animal in a training zone.

• A long lived animal might have many trainers assigned but no moods, and even so without close supervision it could go to something worthless like a crundle or a creature you've already invested in. You might want to pasture creatures with their trainers more closely so that they are burrowed together & have a stockpile of food if needed

• Existing creature tags apply to civilisations (so no elf roleplayer's being one with nature) so typically for dwarves, creatures that exist within the first cavern layer will become available to embark with later, for example draltha's & giant cave spiders etc. (1 female embark cave spider for being a very valuable creature costs 1000 points, better to catch & train)

> Generally all aspects of DF would benefit from this, as it covers additional things & adds to your dwarven empire, creatures such as Rocs, dragons & hydras become more accessible when they are domestic & tame after being groomed and trained by specially selected trainers, in addition to a natural population being available of gremlins that don't require to be consistently trained. Goods from your player fortresses where the creatures are tamed will enter your civilization markets.

> Such events of taming creatures in fortress mode via a mood is comparable to the expeditions to go tame creatures that historical creatures embark on, so the instance to naturally domesticate animals happens to the outside world at a slower pace & based off proximity.

Thanks for reading

n4m3l3ss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Instant Domestication - Artifact level training
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 02:13:05 pm »

Animal trainers getting a strange mood and domesticating a (trained) creature for the first time - good idea!
Otherwise, they'll probably waste their mood on some useless masterwork earring thing.

Won't strange moods happen throughout history at some point? Then there is only the issue of calibrating this properly. I mean, if strange moods happen throughout history, then a 700 year old world (medium-sized) will always have dwarven civs that have already domesticated everything worth domesticating, from cave crocodiles to dragons.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 02:24:32 pm »

Animal trainers getting a strange mood and domesticating a (trained) creature for the first time - good idea!
Otherwise, they'll probably waste their mood on some useless masterwork earring thing.

Won't strange moods happen throughout history at some point? Then there is only the issue of calibrating this properly. I mean, if strange moods happen throughout history, then a 700 year old world (medium-sized) will always have dwarven civs that have already domesticated everything worth domesticating, from cave crocodiles to dragons.

Thanks for the input. I insured against over-active domestication already by defining moodable taming to only happen on player sites, i apologise if i confused you with poor wording on my part.

> Such events of taming creatures in fortress mode via a mood is comparable to the expeditions to go tame creatures that historical creatures embark on, so the instance to naturally domesticate animals happens to the outside world at a slower pace & based off proximity.

Going off on 'a journey to the depths of the world' or a journey to a particular region would be the world gen equivalent of this action which as we know happens at a slow & gradual pace. Eventually domesticating every (within taming capacity) cave creature would be a end-goal and could be achieved anyway over a 500 or so year natural game timespan by the dwarves.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 01:40:27 am »

Journeys to the depths of world also depend on having someone do them. Sometimes, I see demon master take up that adventurer every century or more often for a thousand years, other times they in particular do nothing. A limit of having only the one who tamed the beast capable of taming them would effectively quell the concern.

Domesticating every cave creature over 500 years in player forts...Well, it probably wouldn't take that long, I think ^^;;

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 02:37:25 am »

Journeys to the depths of world also depend on having someone do them. Sometimes, I see demon master take up that adventurer every century or more often for a thousand years, other times they in particular do nothing. A limit of having only the one who tamed the beast capable of taming them would effectively quell the concern.

Domesticating every cave creature over 500 years in player forts...Well, it probably wouldn't take that long, I think ^^;;

That's because the demon master is busy, when you mod in a proper noble structure (military and militia included) then more people go out into the world, mainly it seems to be the [military_strategy] which can be placed on local militia's that are the people who take actions like journey's. You don't even have to define a general because a goblin or the demonic overlord will squabble & take the position for you between themselves.

Long story short, i don't have that problem in my modded game because i lighten the work responsibility of my demon master with underlings.