Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 70

Author Topic: DIG: VOTE  (Read 131319 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: DIG
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2017, 01:13:04 am »

I honestly don't know enough to say whether things are balanced or not. I think some of the other players (those who are planning to dive the Deep Sea, or construct artifacts) are undervaluing knowledge a bit, though. If I cold, I'd max out int and knowledge, but one needs at least one in body to live, and some stamina to act, so I need those too.
Ozzy, knowledge is a currency not a stat. It gets used up.  Putting points into it should be impossible but is at the very least ill advised.

We still got some mutterings and questions and not quite finished sheets but lets at least start  showing some stuff off here.

You and the rest of the interviewees have been hastily herded from the offices on 8th and Granite down a narrow stone stairway into circular metal airlock. Waiting for you with her back against the opposite door is a woman. She’s extremely thin and tall, with pale skin, close cropped black hair and blue eyes. She seems to be dressed in fine clothing, but it is oddly plain. Next to her is a hulking specimen of a mole: easily seven feet tall with with a half dozen engines poking out of shaggy black hair.  He takes a step forward as you enter the room and clacks his claws together to get your attention.

“Hello assorted rabble. It pleases me greatly to say that you have been chosen as the crew for the 7th Underground Expeditionary Stone Bore. Congratulations! I assume that the selection committee has the details about your next of kin?”

He waits a moment, nose twitching, before continuing.

“Good. Well then, no reason to dawdle! HOLIDAY!” He turns and stomps towards the door as the woman walks to one wall and twists a valve.  “My name Suo, that's Head Mechanic Holiday.  We’re the ones in charge for this little pleasure fuse.”

“Cruise.” Holiday says, joining up with Suo.

“Pleasure Crews?  I think that would send the wrong message about what we do here.”

The airlock doors cycle open and beyond them is a wide stone cavern. The cavern is lit by dozens of spotlights and crisscrossed by catwalks and metal support beams. Men in gray uniforms hurry about, carrying metal crates and lengths of cable, shouting to one another about things you don’t understand. And in the center of the room is the Bore itself. It has an oddly diamond shape; small at both ends and fat in the middle. 4 huge, multi-jointed metal legs hold it up, balanced on the point of a massive conical drill. Six stories up, barely visible from this angle, is the glass dome of the bridge. You can see the shadows of men moving around inside it.  One side of the machine sports a pair of sliding metal blast doors, and a metal ramp leads up from the ground to those doors.

“Beaut ain’t she? Decades ahead of the other cities. Stone and sulphur, I bet those bastards in Roa are still digging holes with corpses.” Sou and Holiday lead the way up the ramp and into the Bore. The ramp leads to a hanger, and in the hanger squats an eight legged metal vehicle of some kind. It resembles a beetle, with somewhat shorter legs, each of which ends in a piledriver.
“That’s the Crawler. It crawls floors, walls and ceilings. Insulated, air tight, slow as hell. This is the hanger. Got room for a few vehicles, some Electric Heads, carcasses of any big neat thing you kill, whatever.”

They move on, through the door on the left and into a wide room filled with all manner of metal crates.

“Cargo hold, full of food and water, repair supplies, raw materials, and so on. We got no kitchen in this thing so I hope you like eating rehydrated worm meat. Hey Holiday, why do we have to go through the Cargo bay to get out of the hanger?”

“Material considerations.”

“You mean it would weaken the frame?”

“No. One of the apprentices ordered too many wall sections and not enough doors. Same reason there’s no bathroom.”

“Oh. We fire that one?”

“In a manner of speaking.”

“Whaddya mean?”

“He was the one that miscalculated the drill’s weight and got crushed when the mooring strap broke during installation.”

“Water finds its level.”

They lead the way out of the cargo hold and into passages beyond. Sou stops and points down the halls.

“That over there is the main generator, it gets fuel from the fuel tanks down below. Below the tanks is the main engine, and under that is the drill itself. This ladder here is how you access the lower levels. Over in that direction is the air scrubber. It is what lets this thing be airtight and not kill you all. Oh and there’s a brig over connected to the hanger bay. Air lock too.  And right here in the center is the main lift. This takes you up through the rest of the levels.”

It takes two trips to get everyone up to the next level on the elevator, during which time Holiday explains that there’s a ladder running along the inside of the elevator shaft, should it ever stop working.

“This here is the main living area” Sou says, gesturing around expansively in the small area right outside the elevator. “ You got your beds over to the left, your medbay to the right, workshop back there next to the archives. Even got a sanctuary for us diving types. Oh, important thing. Over there is the coms arm. It’s a mechanical arm that lays a hard coms line in as you descend. Radio won’t work except at short range so thats your lifeline. Try not to let it get cut.  You can tour that all on your own time, I don’t care.”

He shoves everyone back into the elevator and up past the next floor and up to the final floor on top.  “That's the cannon floor below us and up here is the bridge. This is the control center of all this high tech wizardry. These apprentices are just installing the last bits and bobs. Testing the nixies, you know the drill.”

He stops for a moment and then laughs to himself. “Ha! They know the drill! Ya get it Holiday?”

“Regretfully, yes.”

“Ah….anyways, this thing here, this is important. This is the automap. Its gonna track your progress and print out the data about it on these here metal punch plates. Once you have a full one, you put  in a blank and bring the finished one to the archives. That way you know where you’re going and when we find the wreckage of this thing, we’ll know where you’ve been.”

He hits a button and a black board on one wall lights up with glowing grid lines. Each tiny box enclosed by the glowing lines is a bulb with a strange double wire internal structure, so as to show both explored land and the location and orientation of the Bore.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

“Alright, questions?”

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2017, 02:29:51 am »

Joe Dire performed a bow while extending one hand towards the air, practiced and smooth but with little emotion in it.
"As per law 2684 I extend official salutations to you and express thanks for receiving me in your vessel."
He returned to standing at attention.
"I am requesting information about whether we should concern ourselves with the length of time our non-renewable supplies are expected to last as well as if, when and how we can expect to be resupplied."

Conduct Inquiry

((What kind of clothing would you say a manhunter would wear? Could I say he's wearing some sort of fancy uniform (perhaps with a tri-point hat)?

Would you mind if I ask such questions as I get the feel for the character and the world?))

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2017, 02:50:53 am »

Nameless remains silent and heads to the sanctuary when released to do so.

I honestly don't know enough to say whether things are balanced or not. I think some of the other players (those who are planning to dive the Deep Sea, or construct artifacts) are undervaluing knowledge a bit, though. If I cold, I'd max out int and knowledge, but one needs at least one in body to live, and some stamina to act, so I need those too.
Ozzy, knowledge is a currency not a stat. It gets used up.  Putting points into it should be impossible but is at the very least ill advised.
Hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
 alright, edited. Oops. Kowledge's location in the "Attributes" section of the rules threw me. I wondered why I was the only one spending points on it.

Edcit: ah shit. can't enter the deep sea without an eyedisk. welp, think I'll modify my sheet before it's too late.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 03:15:30 am by Ozarck »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2017, 02:52:59 am »

((Knowledge not being a stat is fucked, because it's listed as a stat and doesn't say that it's not a stat anywhere in the doc, but whatever. Moved those ten points to stamina.))

"Tell me more about this thing's cannons. How are they aimed? What do they fire? How do we load them? Do they have a fancy magazine to fire really quickly? How much do they penetrate ten feet of steel?"

heya
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2017, 04:24:32 am »

Joshua takes a small bow before addressing the moleperson and his aide.

"Greetings and salutations to both of you! Allow me to introduce myself, I am Joshua Abraham Darvaza, Emperor of the Deep.

Now, I must say I do have some questions for you, if I may.
Firstly, what exactly is it that we are drilling for? Are we simply exploring and adventuring, or should we be on the lookout for mineral wealth, artifacts and prime real estate?

Secondly, where does this fine drill of yours deposit the dirt it digs up? Does it get rid of them as it goes, or will we be burying ourselves in gravel as we go down?

Thirdly, do we get some radios for ourselves for when we're down there, or will it be shout-o-phone only?

And finally, this whole machine of yours. Very nice, impressive even. Does it come in red as well? Oh, and does this beauty have a name? It'll need a grandiose name if it is to become our new home for the foreseeable future!"

((Also, a few more questions, if you don't mind:
1)Could you talk a little bit more about how we'll get new gear? Are we supposed to build everything ourselves that isn't simple enough to be stored on the drill, with a pure player-driven economy? Or will we get the chance to buy/trade with npc's from time to time?
2)For that matter, will we ever be visiting/are we allow to visit things like towns or one of the big cities, by drilling our way there if need be?
3)How do you see this go in terms of main gameplay? Since only 10 are going out at once, will they be going with certain mission objectives, or just run around outside until they get bored or die?
4)And for the people not getting themselves killed outside, will they get to do anything on-ship on-drill in the meantime, besides talking to other players?

Hope that didn't overload you already!))
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 05:24:26 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2017, 04:30:46 am »

((I nominate that we name our drill the Dreadful Bore.))

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2017, 04:58:02 am »

Verne gets straight to it.

"Okay people. Which way do we want to go first? Am I hearing down?"
One wheel short of a wagon

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2017, 05:05:31 am »

Verne gets straight to it.

"Okay people. Which way do we want to go first? Am I hearing down?"

"My good man, please, restrain yourself! These people haven't finished the last of their work yet, and we hardly want to start drilling prematurely, not when there's a lady present." He said, winking stupidly at the head mechanic.

"I do admire a proactive attitude though. Personally, I think we should first cruise around a bit on the more shallow levels, get a feel for the drill and how things work around here before we dive deeper into the real adventure."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2017, 05:09:21 am »

"Does this thing even go sideways? Wouldn't that put the deck at an unwalkable angle?
Ohh! Can it go up?! I bet the surface is exciting this time of year! Might want some extra armor if we go that route, but we could figure something out."

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2017, 05:41:17 am »

"I'm here to kill meatbags, and well, things that aren't meatbags.  Down."

Sialia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2017, 06:26:27 am »

Deira pokes round the place, her nose sticking forward as she slinks around the place. Looking down over her rather crooked nose appears to be a habit no one has told her looks strange. She quite privately makes her way around the bridge the moment she gets the chance to familiarise herself with the controls. She believes there is nothing the strange woman says can be worth listening to until she has had the chance to do just that.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 06:30:42 am by Sialia »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2017, 06:46:28 am »

"Does this thing even go sideways? Wouldn't that put the deck at an unwalkable angle?
Ohh! Can it go up?! I bet the surface is exciting this time of year! Might want some extra armor if we go that route, but we could figure something out."

"As per article 25 of the Betterment of Unit Effectiveness Act I am obliged to state obvious facts and repeat information recently provided by our instructors when possible. Therefore I will proceed to inform you that the possession of legs enhanced with pile drivers makes vehicles such as this Underground Expeditionary Stone Bore and its Crawler capable of moving across most solid surfaces."

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2017, 07:59:20 am »

Spoiler: Engie (click to show/hide)

Engie puts his hand up.

"How much maintenance is the drill going to need, and in what capacity?"
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 08:01:17 am by Gentlefish »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2017, 08:12:34 am »

"As per article 25 of the Betterment of Unit Effectiveness Act I am obliged to state obvious facts and repeat information recently provided by our instructors when possible. Therefore I will proceed to inform you that the possession of legs enhanced with pile drivers makes vehicles such as this Underground Expeditionary Stone Bore and its Crawler capable of moving across most solid surfaces."

"Officer, I think he was referring more to the fact that the ceiling might suddenly become the wall or the floor, making the living accommodations for us slightly, ah, less convenient."

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2017, 08:18:53 am »

"I want a firearm. No, wait"
Waffel's ocular sensors zoom in an out a few times, before he continues.
"That wasn't a question. Could I get a firearm?"

((I'm imagining as a slightly better armoured K2S0, because I just really liked his design.))
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 70