Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 51

Author Topic: DIG OOC  (Read 72066 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
DIG OOC
« on: January 02, 2017, 10:49:39 am »

Gonna nip this in the bud and create an OOC now before the main thread drowns.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: DIG OOC
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 10:57:29 am »

allright, reposting and adding a question here then.

Why not have the engine heart get some kind of bonus to resisting deep sea magic, since it doesn't have a soul/whatever like everyone else does? +20 endure also sounds good. Because really, no way to get resurrected is a bit harsh, since it seems like a big deal in the game.

Don't nerf the civvie though.

Questions: What do engine hearts use to heal/repair

Is the "max 30 points in an attribute the amount of points you put in from the 100 point pool, or the total you get from point pool + archetype bonuses?

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 11:16:11 am »

Also, in addition to my question about the max 30 points from last post.

In the rules it mentions that hide is used to take cover from blast. Is that the only ability that can be used? It would seem that a character with high move might also be able to jump behind some kind of cover in time, instead of having to rely on the stealth ability just to not get hit in the face.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 11:23:46 am »

Also, in addition to my question about the max 30 points from last post.

In the rules it mentions that hide is used to take cover from blast. Is that the only ability that can be used? It would seem that a character with high move might also be able to jump behind some kind of cover in time, instead of having to rely on the stealth ability just to not get hit in the face.

Max points you can put in to begin with, not counting the bonus.

Hide is used to take cover from shots, where as move would be used to dodge them or move out of the way. You could, however,  say "Run behind that pillar!" and you'd end the move in cover.

Really, it's just the difference of if you avoid the initial attack via putting stuff between you and it, or by getting the hell out of the way.  It's a somewhat important distinction to make because taking cover could sometimes fail even with a successful roll if the weapon is highly destructive. That drywall won't protect you from a rocket launcher.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 01:49:14 pm »

If you want critiques on the system balance, I have a ton of things to say.  I'm just assuming that it isn't the time for making a laundry list of flaws rather than testing the game.

I suppose I should mention that the slow stamina regen might be a bad idea simply for gameplay; nobody wants to sit for days with their action being "rest to regain stamina".  That isn't balance so much as rule of fun.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 02:39:11 pm »

If you want critiques on the system balance, I have a ton of things to say.  I'm just assuming that it isn't the time for making a laundry list of flaws rather than testing the game.

I suppose I should mention that the slow stamina regen might be a bad idea simply for gameplay; nobody wants to sit for days with their action being "rest to regain stamina".  That isn't balance so much as rule of fun.
Yeah, I'm afraid that after a bout of combat it's either gonna be 'rest up until stamina regained' and take a while doing nothing, or the waiting will be shortened for fun, thus diminishing the value of the stat.

Really, if anything I think the Oro test (and amp experience before) showed the trouble with this kind of mechanic, even though it might sound nice on paper. But maybe we should just move on with the system as-is for now and see after an expedition or 2 how things are, we can still change then (we did it for ER, so it's possible, if a bit of a bitch to do).

All that said, the system does look interesting, hype is raising to levels not seen in a while.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 02:41:13 pm »

I feel like such a mechanic works better for games that are played in person, since if everyone needs to rest you can just do a bunch of tiny turns in a few minutes. Not so much with forum games.

But hey, it might not be so bad. We'll see.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 02:51:06 pm »

So, do tool boxes stack, and if we end up getting a better form of a tool box would we have to discard our old one?
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 03:08:41 pm »

If stamina becomes an issue, we can just cut it out of the system entirely without losing much of anything.  But as it is, for attacking and stuff,  you can do plenty of attacks in a row assuming you have literally any stamina. I mean, if you have 10 stamina, you can do 5 back to back fight attacks or 10 shots.  With 30 stamina you could literally punch someone for two weeks worth of posts, back to back. 

Really, if anything, stamina is fairly meaningless for normal attacks, its purpose is for restraining certain other actions like resurrection, Diving in the Deep Sea, and building for days on end. 

And you get stamina back automatically so long as you don't do anythign requiring a roll, so walking around exploring would let you get stamina back.

If it becomes a problem though, we'll just cut it, so don't worry about it.

I should point out that while the world here is mine, the system is actually almost entirely adapted from someone else's system that I thought fit what I wanted to do well.  His system was all future based so stamina was Energy and you could pull it from battery packs and stuff. His stuff had a lot more in depth stuff with powerful weapons requiring lots of energy to use. I think one of them required like 100 energy to shoot once.  So this is a weird hybrid of my ideas and his that may work poorly.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 03:14:02 pm by piecewise »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2017, 03:10:59 pm »

Hey pw, could you elaborate a bit on the enginehearts resistance to direct deep sea stuff? I'm having trouble deciding how important Mind is for my char.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2017, 03:21:52 pm »

So, do tool boxes stack, and if we end up getting a better form of a tool box would we have to discard our old one?
Identical tool boxes don't, and an upgraded toolbox probably wouldn't, BUT if you get some other +X build item, those could stack.

So if you had a tool box and, say, a mechanical auto-wrench (Build +5), then those would stack. The idea being that the Tool box gives you a bonus because hey, you have basic tools and that makes building easier. Having twice the number of identical tools wouldn't do shit. But having basic tools plus  special advanced tool, that would help more.

Hey pw, could you elaborate a bit on the enginehearts resistance to direct deep sea stuff? I'm having trouble deciding how important Mind is for my char.

They are immune in that they cannot be DIRECTLY affected.  Ie, someone can't go into the deep sea and find him and fuck with his mind, or tear his body apart, or hurl him across the room.  BUT they could collapse the room he's in. Or control someone else and have that person attack him.

Not immune from all effects caused or influenced by the sea, but immune from any direct action.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2017, 03:25:09 pm »

So, really, the mind=deep sea magic hp pool isn't really important to them?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2017, 03:26:25 pm »

So, really, the mind=deep sea magic hp pool isn't really important to them?

Not as important, but other mind effecting things could get him. Roll for sanity, etc.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2017, 03:27:22 pm »

There it is. Guess I'll keep a tidy supply of mind points after all.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2017, 05:08:31 pm »

For me, at least, that is the upside.
I'm not sure I follow you. The fact that it's worse than the civvie is the upside for you?

The fact that I'm not doomed to live forever at the whims of overpowered god-characters is an upside.

Anyway, my only concern is that there seems to be two layers of defence for one layer of offense for conventional attacks.  First you roll for hitting or firing, which both attacks and protects you on a successful attack.  Then you get a defense stat on top of that.  As far as I can tell, this isn't mirrored for magical attacks, which only have one layer of defense.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 51