Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 51

Author Topic: DIG OOC  (Read 73008 times)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Re: DIG OOC
« Reply #255 on: January 17, 2017, 11:50:42 pm »

Well fuck. AT&T has finally pissed me off enough to say screw it and move on to another carrier. God I hate that fucking company. Sadly, unless I go pay as you go, no one is cheaper. And none are loyal to the customer, They don't give a fuck at all. Hell, you need a phone for work and so forth, so they got you over a barrel. I Really hate phone companies. I have for 20 years now. They're worse than pharmaceutical companies.

Then move over to Finland. Unlimited, full rate connection for phone: 14€/month, no extra costs. Unlimited, 300/10 cable connection for PC: 60 €/month (25€ for me), no extra costs.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 18, 2017, 03:38:18 am »

We could do a small timeskip, let the builders finish whatever they're doing and get butts in seats to start exploring.
We're gonna be waiting for the builder/drivers every frikken mission. PW is already manipulating time so builders can work faster while we are on missions.
if we need to rely on a player to cart us around, it's gonna be problematic. build is gonna become super unbalanced, and we're all gonna be dependent on drivers for everything. they decide where the machine goes, they decide when the crawler goes out, they decide which locations to explore.

Once builders run into knowledge limitations of what they can build, that should help alleviate that. But yes, in a game that's strictly player-driven, you're gonna run into the cat herding problem*. If you don't like the decisions the drivers are making, there's plenty of options in-game, from persuasion to bribing to threats. Finally, you could still put some points into the control ability yourself if you want to be more self-reliant.

In general, since pw said it'll be up to us to self-organize, we're gonna have this problem anyway. It sometimes took ages to get a mission ready to go in ER cause a bunch of people were ready, other weren't, some of the ready ones stopped waiting around 'cause they got bored, etc. You could always ask the pilot to drive the bore itself up to where we can disembark so that those who want to leave can leave (and get first dibs on the goodies!) while the others keep mucking about.

(*Once I can reanimate some corpses, one of the first things I was planning on making was a control-focused npc (assuming stat points can be shoved around somewhat) to make us a little less dependent there.)

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 18, 2017, 02:03:30 pm »

I vote for a time skip until the builders finish the armor
Yeah, and then a timeskip while we armour everyone else in the Bore, then one while we make them a rifle, pistol, and sword, then one while my character just finishes the cannon that shoots guns he's building.

I get where you're coming from, and I want to actually start playing too, but as time is a resource in this game timeskips like that are not going to be okay.

We're going to have to be brutally firm with people who delay us, or actually grow up and go out taking some risks, leaving projects that make us awesome/OP unfinished so we can play Piecewise's game (not that playing the game will be the eventual goal of every character, if ER is anything to go by.) Or maybe PW could help us by introducing a time factor in which we get killed off individually/lose rations or heat priviliges/something if we aren't fast, useful to the company, and helpful enough. Or some other incentive to actually play as well as craft and spar.

Though the two games are appreciably different, unless there will be a host of living engines to use in the future, I suspect control will be equally drab and equally vital to the group on occasion as AUX was in ER. As such, one wonders if its better off not being a stat, or at least not the same kind of stat as build/blast/etc.

/rant
One wheel short of a wagon

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 18, 2017, 02:20:09 pm »

We're going to have to be brutally firm with people who delay us, or actually grow up and go out taking some risks, leaving projects that make us awesome/OP unfinished so we can play Piecewise's game (not that playing the game will be the eventual goal of every character, if ER is anything to go by.)

I get where you're coming from, but we've really got no incentive to head out immediatly right now instead of finishing off our standard equipment. PW stated that most of our gear would come from player crafted stuff, so loot will probably be fairly scarce.

I also feel like we've got a bit of a silly thing going where build projects will often take both a large amount of knowledge gathering, which can be done somewhat passively, but also a lot of turns spend going "Yep, continue building". Maybe instead of having it take a lot of time to build, we should get some non-time based cap/resource for building. That way we could put the limit on the quantity of stuff we could make in one go, rather than limit it by the time spend on it.

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 18, 2017, 03:01:26 pm »

I get where you're coming from, but we've really got no incentive to head out immediatly right now instead of finishing off our standard equipment. PW stated that most of our gear would come from player crafted stuff, so loot will probably be fairly scarce.

I also feel like we've got a bit of a silly thing going where build projects will often take both a large amount of knowledge gathering, which can be done somewhat passively, but also a lot of turns spend going "Yep, continue building". Maybe instead of having it take a lot of time to build, we should get some non-time based cap/resource for building. That way we could put the limit on the quantity of stuff we could make in one go, rather than limit it by the time spend on it.
Exactly, instead of spending dozens of turns just restating that we're building, we could just skip it, then PW could just say "get out there or you're fired" if we take too long. Maybe there could be a one timeskip per mission policy or something.
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 18, 2017, 03:11:53 pm »

Even though this might be a lot of work, we could assign an amount of build-points or however you want to call them to each build project. Then assign each person an amount of build points per mission cycle, with the option to maybe acquire extra build points on mission by collecting monster chunks or what have you. Can be either abstract points or actual materials that you collect, I don't know. I feel like that will cut down on the faffing around a lot instead of the time based thing we've got going on.

Or we could just go with a standard equipment list à la ER that you can buy for currency and get special equimpent on missions, and just shove the entire not-tinker thing out of the dig equivalent of an airlock. 

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 18, 2017, 03:18:03 pm »

I think we'll probably find equipment on the mission, which is one reason why Id prefer to.not get too hung up on building things
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 18, 2017, 07:59:44 pm »

I like the idea of limited build points, which must be earned via mission. it gives the builders an incentive to get out and explore, or at least to send us out to explore. No need for the build points to be individually earned, after all.

Maybe some kind of deep sea mechanic for drivers (or at least worm drivers) where they go slowly insane if they are inactive at driving while some driving needs done. Or at least where the y slowly lose the ability to do anything else , and start taking penalties to every other action. Now, this penalty should only acrrue if there is a current need or percieved need for transportation: drill, crawler, or other.

I know that's kind of a stretch though. I COULD restat and make a pure driver, if it becomes an issue. But that would be the end of Nameless, I think, and i'd have to make a new character. I mean, I can totally do that. hmm

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 19, 2017, 04:21:42 am »

I like the idea of limited build points, which must be earned via mission. it gives the builders an incentive to get out and explore, or at least to send us out to explore. No need for the build points to be individually earned, after all.

Maybe some kind of deep sea mechanic for drivers (or at least worm drivers) where they go slowly insane if they are inactive at driving while some driving needs done. Or at least where the y slowly lose the ability to do anything else , and start taking penalties to every other action. Now, this penalty should only acrrue if there is a current need or percieved need for transportation: drill, crawler, or other.

I know that's kind of a stretch though. I COULD restat and make a pure driver, if it becomes an issue. But that would be the end of Nameless, I think, and i'd have to make a new character. I mean, I can totally do that. hmm

The whole 'go insane if you don't drive/dive when needed' seems a little draconian to me, your current technique of grabbing them by the collar and dragging them (kicking and screaming optional) to where they need to be looks much more natural.

As for the new charsheet, looks good to me, though know that with Aigre now also playing a pilot we'll have three drivers to cart people around, so you could probably safely stick with Nameless. Or just shove like 60-75 points into control for Nameless as a backup and then maybe later on upgrade it a bit.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 19, 2017, 06:43:38 pm »

Well, I already used my stats in that sparring match, so I feel as if Nameless is locked in. Besides, he has a personality already.
What? "Brick Wall" is a personality, isn't it?

I doubt that stuffing a driver into place will really help much, but Nameless is a direct kind of guy, so I'll roll with it. Edit:  Iguess it worked after all. I read this thread before that one, so, yay!

And yeah, "going insane" was more of a conversation starter than a serious proposal. I'll hang onto a driver character though for a while.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #265 on: January 20, 2017, 09:06:13 pm »

May this slapstick event serve as a warning.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 20, 2017, 09:19:21 pm »

Still worth it.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 20, 2017, 09:22:52 pm »

Still worth it.
I have been waiting for this turn of events for so long. Dev survives with 11 points to spare.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 20, 2017, 09:27:10 pm »

Still worth it.
I have been waiting for this turn of events for so long. Dev survives with 11 points to spare.

Post sheet, fall anyway when it gets to the 0 build point painting attempt.  ;-)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 20, 2017, 09:43:02 pm »

Just wait til Nameless gets frustrated and starts navigating aggressively. You might gets some company at the bottom of that waterfall.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 51