Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Collapse: An RTD with Blades, Bows, Bandits, and Beasts!  (Read 16978 times)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: Collapse: An RTD with Blades, Bows, Bandits, and Beasts!
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2017, 09:30:49 am »

"I appreciate what you're doing here, but I think we'll do better work outside of these walls. Still, it's good to know that there a place like this in the city. We'll make sure not to tell just anyone though."

Thank Elzukir for his hospitality, accept supplies if he offers any. Then set out with Lance into the city again.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2017, 07:24:21 pm »

((I put an [E] next to everything equipped))

"I know how you feel, Nate. We don't have much farther to go. We just need to hold out for a little longer."

Rest until morning, using the previously mentioned schedule for keeping watch. In the morning, start heading AROUND the large group of monsters nearby. As far around as feasible.
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2017, 08:37:05 pm »

"Well. Osric is it? I've made up my mind. I came here as a caravan guard, to a city that has fallen. I'll make my fortune with you raiders now."

Join the Raiders.

((I'm going to assume my inventory was emptied.))

Osric nods, and heads up and through the door. Minutes later, he returns, with two more guards. He cuts the tethers that bind you and Wynnter, and one of the guards unlocks your chains.

"Welcome aboard." says Osric, letting you stretch your stiff limbs. "When you're done, I'll show you the ropes. Don't try any funny business - you're in the heart of our fort."

Osric leads you and Wynnter out of the dungeon. Instantly, you recognize the place that the Raiders have claimed as their own - it's the Kanthaa Asylum, a thickly walled prison where people who were deemed insane were locked away. It was eventually closed down when it was deemed inhumane, but its thick walls were so tough that the government never got around to tearing it down. Indeed, it made for a formidable hold.

"You two are both on the bottom of the chain of command right now. Rise up to the top by helping out as much as you can. We take what we need from whoever has it - not because we can, but because we must. Don't take any more than you need, and try to avoid conflict at any cost. Now, if you're really willing to help us out, we'll get you your weapons back."

You solemnly swear to aid the Raiders, and you get your weapons and armor back.

"Now." says Osric, his one eye glinting, "You're one of us."

You follow Osric as he gathers up a few more Raiders, and beckons for all of them to follow him along with you. He then leads you all into a large, dark room. You expect something sinister...

Osric claps his hands, and cheering erupts from behind a huge counter. Candles and lamps are lit, and a handful of musicians start playing a jolly tune. Kegs of wine are rolled out of an adjoining room, and tankards are issued all around. You indulge in the drink, and soon you're telling your tales to a group of other Raiders, who seem on the point of complete drunkenness.

"Welcome to the Golden Fist, boys and girls! Let's give our new recruits three cheers!" shouts Osric over the din.

A cacophony ensues when the now drunk crowd roars a series of slurred hurrahs. You soon find yourself dancing with a particularly beautiful young woman, who grabbed you out of your seat. You spin around faster and faster as you dance, your drunken stupor making you giddy yet clumsy. It suffices to say that the combination of dancing and wine makes you quite nauseous, and it isn't long until you find yourself on the verge of throwing up. You stagger out into the causeway that runs through the Asylum and throw up, sputtering from the foul taste. Two merrymakers step out of the makeshift tavern and help you to your feet.

"Uuuugh..." you groan, your mouth bitter and acidic.

"Bad taste in yer mouth, eh? *hic*" asks one of the revelers, grinning lopsidedly.

You nod, afraid that talking will make you puke again.

"I knoow the peeeeerfect *hic* cuuure!" says the Raider, stumbling.

"More wine!"

You're beginning to grow fond of this place. The rest of the night is a blur.

"I appreciate what you're doing here, but I think we'll do better work outside of these walls. Still, it's good to know that there a place like this in the city. We'll make sure not to tell just anyone though."

Thank Elzukir for his hospitality, accept supplies if he offers any. Then set out with Lance into the city again.

Elzukir leaves the room, and returns carrying a number of small pouches and vials.
You get

Black powder x 3
Flash powder x 3
Recuperation potion x 1

"These will help you in your journey. The black powder burns easily, the flash powder creates a bright spark upon contact with fire, and the potion will help you recover from any wounds you may have. Best of luck, adventurers."

You set off after bidding farewell to Elzukir and Gret. You head North until you find a suitable shelter, and set up camp for the night.

((I put an [E] next to everything equipped))

"I know how you feel, Nate. We don't have much farther to go. We just need to hold out for a little longer."

Rest until morning, using the previously mentioned schedule for keeping watch. In the morning, start heading AROUND the large group of monsters nearby. As far around as feasible.

You set up camp, and sleep.

This will give you a bonus on tomorrow's roll.

Night comes and goes.
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2017, 08:43:13 pm »

In the morning, start heading AROUND the large group of monsters nearby. As far around as feasible.
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Rautherdir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2017, 09:03:41 pm »

"That was a night I'm going to remember for a long time. Hey Wynnter, if we're going to be helping the raiders effectively we're going to need to be able to defend others and not just ourselves. And after last night I need to make sure my skills are still sharp."

Vothaeth spars with Wynnter. If any of the other Raiders requests a bout, spar with them as well.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2017, 02:14:51 pm »

"Well, let's keep looking for other survivors. Or just a way out, whatever we find first."

In the morning, start heading deeper North. Keep an eye out for survivors. Use our combined knowledge of the city to take paths that will hide our movements and start heading towards large religious buildings, since those are prime gathering spots for survivors.

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2017, 10:11:47 pm »

In the morning, start heading AROUND the large group of monsters nearby. As far around as feasible.

You skirt the breeding grounds, and pass through completely unmolested. You even find the dessicated corpse of a militiaman! While this wouldn't exactly be fun for most people, it feels like the holidays for you as you gaffle the dead man's items. Some inexpert thief seemed to have already taken the obvious bits from him, but you're no amateur, and you take everything that remains.
You get

Tin gauntlets - +0.5 defense
Arrow x 7
Copper drachma x 12

When you finish traveling, you find yourself at the Northernmost point of the Arsenic District. You gaze up at the huge wall that looms above you. It's... massive.

"That was a night I'm going to remember for a long time. Hey Wynnter, if we're going to be helping the raiders effectively we're going to need to be able to defend others and not just ourselves. And after last night I need to make sure my skills are still sharp."

Vothaeth spars with Wynnter. If any of the other Raiders requests a bout, spar with them as well.

You spar with Wynnter for a while. The Raiders seem to have a large training facility, so your bout is with wooden swords. You grow a bit frustrated as Wynnter bests you time after time. However, you steadily improve, and each time you can tell that Wynnter struggles a bit more to get the jump on you. You feel yourself improving. Maybe if you do this some more, you'll be better in combat... *hint hint*

"Well, let's keep looking for other survivors. Or just a way out, whatever we find first."

In the morning, start heading deeper North. Keep an eye out for survivors. Use our combined knowledge of the city to take paths that will hide our movements and start heading towards large religious buildings, since those are prime gathering spots for survivors.

You head further North, and make it to the border of the Electrum and Silver Districts. You're taken by surprise when an underling jumps at you, screeching. It's small, and brown fur coats its muscular form. You have barely any time to react when it attacks you.

Combat log

The underling pup slashes you with its claws! -2 hp (Sarge)
You fire your crossbow at the underling. The projectile embeds itself in the creature's skull, instantly killing it! (critical hit)

You retrieve your bolt from the dead fiend's skull, and press on. You end up in the middle of the Silver District, and just about every temple you enter is filled only with the dead. The dead city serves as a sad reminder to the frailty of civilization.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2017, 10:27:37 pm »

"The wall. . . It's massive. . . "

Start skirting the wall, heading East. Unless there's a known exit nearby, in which case head there.

Glory to United Forenia!

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
Forum Runner Challenge Character.
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2017, 02:57:02 am »

There. I know, inventive backgrounds and descriptions, but i'm 1/4 awake right now, I only just got up.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 06:13:22 am by TankKit »
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2017, 09:31:10 am »

"All right, we'll go check out one of those temples. I've got a hunch, but it might be nothing. If nothing else, the dead can do their final duty to the living and help us with some supplies."

Enter one of the temples from a god known for either helping the helpless or something to do with the dead. Enter by checking our corners, me with my crossbow ready to shoot underlings, and Lance behind me to poke nasties with his lance if they get close.

Once inside and nasties free, have Lance check for supplies/equipments while I search for underground rooms/tombs or otherwise hidden rooms where priests might have hidden themselves and other civilians. Introduce ourselves if we find anyone alive as members of the kathaan constabulary.

Rautherdir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2017, 10:08:16 am »

"Just a bit more for today, then I think we should go find work to do."

Vothaeth continues sparring with Wynnter. If any of the other Raiders requests a bout, spar with them as well.

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2017, 12:34:15 pm »

"The wall. . . It's massive. . . "

Start skirting the wall, heading East. Unless there's a known exit nearby, in which case head there.

You head East, looking in vain for an exit. You eventually reach the Bronze District, and stop. Any further and you run the risk of...

an underling attack!

Combat log

The underling drone hurls itself at Nate! The two of them go flying in a tangle of limbs.
You slash at the underling with your pike, but it dodges!
Nate swings his sword at the underling drone, striking it in the left leg!
The underling drone bites Nate in the hand, but his gauntlets take the brunt of the blow!
You stab the underling drone with your pike, killing it!

You retreat Westward a little before setting up camp.

There. I know, inventive backgrounds and descriptions, but i'm 1/4 awake right now, I only just got up.

Erm... you may want to change "whip" to either longsword, pike, or dagger...

"All right, we'll go check out one of those temples. I've got a hunch, but it might be nothing. If nothing else, the dead can do their final duty to the living and help us with some supplies."

Enter one of the temples from a god known for either helping the helpless or something to do with the dead. Enter by checking our corners, me with my crossbow ready to shoot underlings, and Lance behind me to poke nasties with his lance if they get close.

Once inside and nasties free, have Lance check for supplies/equipments while I search for underground rooms/tombs or otherwise hidden rooms where priests might have hidden themselves and other civilians. Introduce ourselves if we find anyone alive as members of the kathaan constabulary.

You and Lance sweep through a number of temples finding nothing. You make it to the Brass District, and find the temple of Luxus, the god of light. You enter, and immediately see a revolting scene - corpses lie everywhere. You gag at the smell of death, but press on. You make it to a set of doors at the back of the temple, and push them open. A huge system of catacombs lie before you. The bodies of those long dead lie next to the corpses of the victims of whatever slaughter happened here. You find a few useful things on one of the corpses, who you presume was a Silverblade.
You get

Silver half-mask - 0.5 defense, deals damage to attacking werecreatures, vampires, and underlings
Silver powder

You ready your crossbow as the doors to the catacombs slam shut. Lance runs up to them, but the huge stone doors refuse to budge. You run up to the doors and try kicking them down, but they don't shift even an inch.

"Holy shit... Sarge!"

You turn around, and see the reason for Lance's expletive. Three skeletons, a ghostly white light burning in their eye sockets, stagger towards you, bones held together by invisible joints. You give one of them a quick kick, and it falls to pieces. The other two skeletons stagger backwards a bit, but otherwise don't react. You growl as more skeletons tumble out of their graves, white eyes glowing. Soon, a ring of the undead surround you, numbering at least twenty strong. They make no move to attack, simply staring at you with their burning white eyes. You're a bit uneasy, but Lance doesn't seem that worried. He walks right up to the skeletons and pushes them aside, making a path for himself. You follow him deeper into the catacombs. The skeletons tramp behind you, but show no sign of hostility. Lance searches in the offering pan for an embalmed body and pulls out a stone dagger.

"Stone weapons, eh? This place is old."

An ethereal voice, coming from nowhere in particular, responds.

"Ah, yes. These catacombs are almost one thousand years old. It's littered with quite a few dead bodies - really gives me quite a bit of material to practice with.

Instantly, you know that it's a necromancer speaking to you. You look around for the source of the voice, but see nothing except the horde of skeletons, staring at you.

I'm not anywhere near you, I'm simply projecting my voice towards you. I'm much deeper in the catacombs. Don't hesitate to speak, though, since I can hear everything my minions can. They won't bite.

Before you can even get a word in, Lance is shouting at the unseen necromancer.

"Why did ya lock us up in this hole? This place is home to none but the dead, and the fools who try to control 'em!"

The necromancer laughs.

It gets quite lonely here. I realize now that my actions were quite brash, and I sincerely apologize. My name is Melecrus. I'm quite pleased to meet you.

The skeleton horde bows, knocking into each other. A few of them fall into a jumble of bones, but quickly reform.

"Just a bit more for today, then I think we should go find work to do."

Vothaeth continues sparring with Wynnter. If any of the other Raiders requests a bout, spar with them as well.

You spar with Wynnter some more, and you even win one match. One of the Raiders, a young dark-skinned girl with green eyes, grabs a pair of wooden training swords, and taps you on the back.

"Care for a match?" she asks.

You reply in the affirmative, and soon the two of you start sparring. You learned how to best Wynnter's fighting style, with precise attacks and defensive positions, but your new opponent fights in a completely different way. She spins around you, constantly attacking. You barely manage to get a handful of strikes in, which she easily parries. The match grinds to a standstill, with you completely on the defensive and her constantly striking, giving you plenty of opportunities to practice your blocking. Finally, she swings, overcompensates, and staggers off balance. You take the opportunity and try to close in, when you feel a jab in your stomach. The girl, anticipating your move, faked the stumble. Her wooden sword hit you right in the chest. You stagger back, panting from your exertion. The girl bows.

"That was a good match. The name is Cassandra, in case you ever want to train again."

Your sword proficiency has increased by 1!

Rautherdir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2017, 01:36:27 pm »

"A good match indeed, Cassandra. My name is Vothaeth, and my elven friend's name is Wynnter. What sort of jobs would you suggest for two new recruits?"

Find a job for Vothaeth and Wynnter to do that helps the Raiders.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Runner Challenge Character.
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2017, 01:51:49 pm »

Changed weapon.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 04:12:58 pm by TankKit »
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2017, 02:16:04 pm »

((damn it, i meant to go west))

Rest, then double back and go West. I'm trying to get the the blue spot in the Pewter district

Glory to United Forenia!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10