Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: zubb's ingenious stories  (Read 1146 times)

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
zubb's ingenious stories
« on: January 03, 2017, 10:49:47 am »

Hello forum goers, I sometimes write stories and would like to write more, but more importantly I want people to read my stuff and maybe even enjoy it.
This here post is for the purpose of showing off whatever I happen to write.
Criticism and opinions welcome.

Belay and Cornchip in: Smoked Surprise
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pirate bunker fight for steampunk island.

"White Room" Or "An idea I once had while reading a book."
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 07:12:29 pm by zubb2 »
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: zubb's ingenious stories
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 10:50:05 am »

(Reserved)
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 01:35:17 am »

Well, given that you asked for criticism, I'll give you just that:

The writing's pretty stilted, especially dialog (which is just... strange - although that may be intentional), there are multiple misspelled words, the action's hard to follow, and there's a noticeable discrepancy in detail when you're describing the character's weapons versus when you're talking about anything else which is quite distracting. Also, I don't think that the swap over to the pig's point of view really works.

Now, to put some 'constructive' into that criticism, I actually decided to do a full re-write of the story: (note - this is all just my opinion, take it as you will. Someone else may very well come along and say my version's worse than yours.)

I decided to leave as much of the dialog alone as possible, although I heavily modified the ending.

Belay and Cornchip - A Revised Adventure

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 06:37:09 pm »

Thanks for the effort put into rewriting the story and the criticism. The dialog was supposed to be raggedy beast race talk, but I think it just didn't work.
I'm not even sure how the pig's point of view happened, it just sort of did and believe it or not I edited this twice. Aww well. The next one will be better.
As for your rendition of my story I'd say it's put together a lot better than mine. I don't like a detail or two that you changed, but that's just because you don't have my thoughts in your head is all. I'll just have to try more until I get my thoughts across in a way that's readable. I like that bit where the pig gigs himself, I hadn't thought of that.

I'm outright embarrassed to have written this story. Can't get much worse though. :D

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 12:15:42 pm »

I have another story to share, and this one is readable.
Criticism and advice welcome.

Pirate bunker fight for steampunk island.

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 07:14:54 pm »

This is something I wrote a couple of weeks ago. Maybe you'll like it, I sort of do.