Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Options for Recognizing Dwarves?  (Read 1810 times)

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Options for Recognizing Dwarves?
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2017, 10:25:21 pm »

When I get a wave of migrants I look through their relationships.  I trace the genealogy back to a founder of the family and name all of the dorfs after him.

That's funny!  I often do the same thing :-)  I've been watching the anime One Piece for a while (uh... man, years and years now).  One of the things in the anime is that certain characters will have the middle initial "D" (i.e. Monkey D. Luffy).  The "D" is passed on in the family and is significant in some way (but I'm not exactly sure what way...).  Anyway, I decided to do that since it is short and easy to notice.  I then will add a number to that.  So "D1" is first generation "D".  "D2" is second generation.  When dwarfs get married, they will adopt the initial of the most important family....

I had one fortress where the "O" family had most of the noble positions in the fortress.  There was a loyalty cascade and it split between factions of the "O" family" and the "M" family.  The "M" family was practically wiped out.  So I made all the remaining "M" dwarfs become haulers.  Modelling horrible things about the real world is my hobby, it seems :-P

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2017, 12:52:57 am »

For ease of name tracking, I change their nickname to whatever their last name translates to. So Instead of Urist Uristlabom, it's Glovecut. I also keep a spreadsheet, and usually write out any notable events in a libre office doc as journal entries and letters to home from various dwarves.

Military dwarves gain rank as part of their names, so squad captains are name 'Captain Rackwaxes', with fresh recruits given 'Pvt'. Militia Commander is the only one to have 'Cmdr' for rank. Recruits that distinguish themselves can advance, until they're either transferred to new squads as Captains, or just remain as Captains in their original squad. At least theoretically; I'm just as liable to drop a tower on their heads or send them into hopeless battle with a dragon as bother keeping them alive.

Notable civilians get custom professions, and occasionally titles outside of DF norms.

Nobak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2017, 01:01:10 am »

Tilesets definitely help, though I certainly can't spot all of my dwarves at a glance.

Over time, I tend to just learn the names of dwarves I find interesting. I still remember the militia commander of my first successful fort, a bunch of years ago: Sarvesh Bisekurist, wielder of the artifact steel spear Siboshenten. I think I get as familiarized with their names by using Dwarf Therapist as via the game itself.
Pages: 1 [2]