Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Imperial Campaigns - Pen and Paper 4x (Play-testers needed)  (Read 1019 times)

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Imperial Campaigns - Pen and Paper 4x (Play-testers needed)
« on: January 05, 2017, 01:45:32 am »

I've attempted numerous times to make a form of nation RPG in the other games forum.  I've found that it is a lot of work doing the GM work for 8+ players who each have their nonsensical plans on how to dominate the world.  As such, I decided to write down a strict set of rules of play that will make things less nonsensical, and allow for an easier time GMing the games. 

Manual will be in second post, including variants that make the game simpler and easier to manage.  Feel free to create your own variants given that I may attempt to add them in a monetized computer game latter. 

Currently, I have a playable combat demo with some crude economic rules that I half-like. Anyways, I ended up with a system that is pretty much Sim City + Kriegspiel with a abstracted version of those armament designing games that used to pop up in forum games. 

The game now no longer requires a GM at all, diplomacy works by written agreement. 

The game is not finished at all.  I'd like to have a system for rebellion, new player formation, and exploration that generates  but that will come latter.  AI is not a priority until I get all of that in. 

The main downfalls of the system is twofold:

1. The players must conduct dice rolls for every combat with every unit encompassing a front that gets exponentially larger as you play. 

2.  There are a lot of numbers to go through for unit design.  I have variants that reduce the amount of numbers, but I've posted the complete version.  Things can be taken out as needed.

The solution I came up with was to create a program to automate certain parts of the game, but I don't know code, and my friend who knows code does not know it well enough to help me. I am learning, however. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 07:00:04 pm by alamoes »

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Imperial Campaigns - Pen and Paper 4x/Wargame
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 01:46:50 am »

This is the post reserved for the Manual. Manual is still a work in progress. 

The game is turn based, played on a grid map, like in DF.  Each player takes his turn in a predetermined order. 

Spoiler: Dice (click to show/hide)

Notes

*The economy is not complete.  I'd like to make for research to matter in the economic side of things, where you could research improvements to buildings and then spend resources to upgrade them, but I'm not there yet. 

**All prices for things are placeholder.  Certain unit stats are likely very OP.  This is to be discussed in this forum.

Now onto the mechanics. 

Spoiler: Unit Stats (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Combat (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Repairing of Units (click to show/hide)

Link to appendix (includes building list):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1irgC6Njv9vRCgx2rh7UPqGywnFESV6D9RBFc5BZsdZ8/edit?usp=sharing

Note: The manual supersedes the spreadsheet at this point in time.  I have not proofread the spreadsheet other than the buildings section. 
I'm not posting the building list on the forum because that would be tedious and redundant. 

Don't be afraid to ask for clarification on how a rule works or point out that I screwed up somewhere. 

Edit: I've updated the manual a bunch. 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 06:41:04 pm by alamoes »

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Imperial Campaigns - Pen and Paper 4x (Play-testers needed)
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 07:02:55 pm »

Reserved for links to all of the games played on this forum. 

Recruitment for game 1 is here

EDIT:  I still need people to play with or to write an AI that can play the game.  I will be in the game now, because I have more free time now. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 06:54:55 pm by alamoes »