Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is adventure mode broken?  (Read 3579 times)

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
Is adventure mode broken?
« on: January 05, 2017, 03:12:42 am »

So I stopped playing dwarf fortress for a while about, maybe, a year ago. I had set up an adventure character or two and I was eager to try things out. I was excited to get my first ambush! Kobolds...that just stood around and cried. That was freaky.

Fast forward to the last couple of days. I thought DF was unusuable on mac but apparently the July 5 version will run without any need for me to set it up. But...

When I go to bandit camps, I have to goad the bandits into fighting me. If I kill some of them, they might not even fight back, just express their resentment of me.

I'll admit there are some interesting things going on, like being able to write poems, but it seems like adventure mode is just shorn of the appeal and fun it used to have. What do people do for fun in adventure mode any more?

edit: I checked my post history and apparently I last played in like 2014, which was when I massacred the nonviolent crying kobolds. What is the deal? I think this used to be an interesting part of the game, but I guess I just don't know how to get the good bits out of it anymore.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 03:16:15 am by Nasikabatrachus »
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
Re: Is adventure mode broken?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 04:48:55 am »

That hasn't been happening for me since the latest version. Killing one man in a camp results in everyone attacking me, if they see.

I agree with you, though. Adventure mode has lost a lot of its danger and well, adventure, due to the new, less aggressive AI and de-gameification of it all.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 05:52:10 am »

sorry but the introduction of discipline skill allow for a range of folks willing to throw their lives away at you or  what not if set to a high level.
adv mode is mostly building huge wooden taverns in a volcano and filling them with autobiographies of the time you saw a rad bear getting rip in half by an eagle.
getting a demon wife to settle down and or retiring the adventurer to a fort so you get an exotic elephantman who can punch folks across the map.
Advmode changed alot. usually for the can you spare folks crowd. being a massive murderer isn't the only way to get fame.
oh goblins still have that aggro on sight, just kobolds crying seem like a thing they do probably have something to do with site raws ethics kicking in.
like the caverns probably haven't changed much and you could just venture down there to murder some critters who terrorize dwarves.
if you want aggressive you should try rescuing kids.

other than that i'm knee deep in pacifism to truely know your pain.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 10:27:17 am »

I wouldn't recommend caverns without marking the way out. I got lost down there and my tracks leading to the exit got erased and my companion teleported out. Couldn't drink the muddy water nor harvest the plump helmets. No monsters spawned either despite being a kobold site.
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 11:50:25 am »

Well, that's what mods are for.

Add some natural discipline, make personalities more courageous and violent, and people will fight you just fine.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 12:03:58 pm »

I wouldn't recommend caverns without marking the way out. I got lost down there and my tracks leading to the exit got erased and my companion teleported out. Couldn't drink the muddy water nor harvest the plump helmets. No monsters spawned either despite being a kobold site.
make 2 camp sites with a main keep on the surface and one in the caverns and use them as retire spots to move you between the layers of dirt.
spent most of playing this mode in just discovering what can you do or manipulate the world. oh and here a doodle of kobolds crying.

Well, that's what mods are for.

Add some natural discipline, make personalities more courageous and violent, and people will fight you just fine.
you also end up with high number of weaponlords and dealing with 4000 thousand men armies who could crash the game if 20 of them land a single attack on you at the same time. also any crime you do will lock you out of fast traveling until you run out of the town instead of crimes being a lil hidden until discovered.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 02:32:01 pm »

4000?

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 04:36:09 pm »

Well dang. I hope things don't stay this way for another two and a half years. I was hoping the world being alive would make adventure mode really interesting but the things that came with it just made it weird.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 05:30:21 pm »

It is more interesting, people CARE ABOUT BANDITS PROPERLY!

When you find a robbery and help out, if you disarm a bandit and hand the weapon to their attempted victim, they "thank you for all you do" and join in on the fight, if they beat up bandits too, then you thank them for all they do.

If you slay the giant alligator that was eating someone in town people call you a great or even legendary hunter.

If you write a poem afterwards but it's just decent they'll note that you're a legendary hunter, and something of a poet.

Taverns are amazing infodumps now, tavern keepers are always informed or will point to a guy there who knows everything, when they aren't busy killing people by boozing them to death, that is.

libraries are full of all sorts of books, it's fun just going and seeing what shit dorfs write about, writing your own shit, gathering up scattered books after a library got sacked, building your own library, and loading it up.

Bandits and soldiers also wear armor now, not just a helm and breastplate, but gauntlets and greaves and boots and shit, so it's actually more fun to take them on, AND THEN people are grateful when you tell them about it laterr.

Strato1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 07:53:01 pm »

I, for one, love Adventure Mode (note that I use 0.43.05).  Of course, there are some ridiculous things that can happen... and it's possible to get lost/stuck and have to restart as a new character.  However, I view both those things as being part of the fun.  When something ridiculous happens, I like applying a bit of imagination to explain how it happened.  And, the danger of getting lost (especially in the caverns) only adds to the realism.

Of course, there are some things that I think should still be added (I want to be able to dig in Adventure mode, and maybe even work metal/craft my own weapons and armor), and TONS of bugs that need to be fixed...

I do agree that bandits can be kind of boring (I eventually stopped trying to fight bandits, since I felt bad about starting a fight with seemingly harmless NPCs).

What do people do for fun in adventure mode any more?

I tend to enjoy fighting hordes of undead when fighting necromancer towers, becoming a necromancer (and writing a book about the secrets of life and death), seeking out vampires and werebeasts to kill (while saving some vampire blood for later use), and I especially enjoy carving bone figurines/trophies out of the butchered remains of megabeasts I manage to slay.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 09:25:55 pm »

The version I started with was DF2012 (34.11) and that version had a certain type of hard-edged flavor that the following iterations (DF2014-2016) just don't have. I remember asking a soldier for service and getting the famous reply: "Death will find you soon enough." Of course that was before I realized that soldier was actually incompetent being AI governed and whatnot.

DF2012 was a more gross motor skills version of DF2014-2016 and it showed in a greater brokenness. Ambusher was excessively powerful back then. You could hack an NPC to death and they'd never respond. They'd just crumple to the ground and die. Movement speed and combat speed were one and the same, and that too was overpowered. If you played your character long enough, or for those who powerleveled, the level of speed reached would allow you to attack an NPC multiple times before they'd get a chance to react. The combat speed/movement speed split of DF2014 bridged that gulf and made combat much more interesting.

Sure, the level of NPC hostility was always on, ranged weapons were railguns, and there was the much loved auto-counter strike (that I liked building my guys around), but all the nuance from DF2014-2016 (particularly after the tavern arc) makes the gameplay experience richer and deeper.

My 2 cents, at any rate.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 10:15:30 am »

Bandits are harmless/passive?

I've been judo tossing a group of weaponlord bandits I interrupted mid-robbery, I disarmed them so they're busy throwing punches and such, but since they're all masters they won't run away as easily as some wussy groups do.

Bumping into hordes of over a dozen to several dozen bandit weaponlords in hamlets is common enough that I can't just point to specific times I've seen it, but it would be a whole hell of a lot more worrying if I wasn't usually finding them after already capping out everything.

Bumping into them really early on tends to be a rather frantic scrabble to run away ending in death, or wussing out and giving them my shit.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2017, 02:43:52 pm »

What do people do for fun in adventure mode any more?
do the new passive stuff like reading a book, join a dance, figure out new adventure megaprojects. mostly the megaproject goal is what I do the most,
"body swapping and YOU!"

dillonsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2017, 06:32:24 am »

Yes, I personally think it's stupid that i can murder my whole town, and not become an enemy (doesn't show enemy in legends mode)
When that used to happen in the old verison (0.34.11)

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2017, 09:05:58 am »

That's actually opposite of stupid. If you murder an entire town, who's left to tell anyone about it?

I hated the telepathic crime-detection in older versions.
Pages: [1] 2