Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some guy appointed himself to be king.  (Read 1697 times)

DurianGrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Some guy appointed himself to be king.
« on: January 05, 2017, 02:26:53 pm »

So, I was just minding my own business, when this message appeared:

This is the first time this has happened to me. I don't even have a Baron in this fortress, and now I have to take care of a king. I am curious; what caused this? Does this mean that the old monarch died without having an legitimate heir?
Is there any word more meaningless than "hope"? Besides "blarfurgsnarg", of course.

YetAnotherLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Some guy appointed himself to be king.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 02:27:54 pm »

Either that, or you embarked from a dead civilization.

DurianGrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 02:30:10 pm »

Well, that was quick. My civilization should be doing fine (I hope).
Thanks.
Is there any word more meaningless than "hope"? Besides "blarfurgsnarg", of course.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 05:30:35 pm »

You either embarked with a struggling civ, and may have started without a monarch, or you have a fine civ and just happen to have the bad luck of getting saddled with a monarch as the old one croaked. Dead civs never get any monarch, as opposed to what YetAnotherLurker said (at least not with a single fortress: it might, possibly, happen if you embark enough times to revive the civ).

DurianGrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 05:57:30 am »

Might have something to do with setting the history to "Very Short" (I thought it might be fun for some reason)
Oh well, time to give that jerk what he wants. Seems to have a thing for quivers, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Bauta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 11:46:31 am »

You could try to make a legends file and read it in the legends viewer to see what hapened to the old king
If you want to know how to do that easily without making a second safefile let me know
_________
>Blacki loses his right arm, Blacki loses his left arm
>Blacki: I am badly injured, this phases me not
>Blacki bites the Goblin lasher in the throat and the injured part is cloven asunder

DurianGrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 01:08:35 pm »

Well, apparently the old queen (and 13 other guys) got killed by a goblin, their home, Glazecloisters, got taken over by the goblin's faction, and a giant stole 1 dwarven beer.
Fascinating stuff.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 07:56:47 pm »

Well, apparently the old queen (and 13 other guys) got killed by a goblin, their home, Glazecloisters, got taken over by the goblin's faction, and a giant stole 1 dwarven beer.
Fascinating stuff.

It's so typical of this game that an entire civilization would be wiped out over a single beer.  Jeez, dude, you could have just asked, we have thousands of them.

Marr965

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 05:19:58 pm »

I have once managed to become the mountainhome without going through the intermediate stages. A volcano and a lot of gold was involved.