Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Retired adventurer animal men still need to graze?  (Read 2839 times)

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Retired adventurer animal men still need to graze?
« on: January 06, 2017, 02:48:05 pm »

Err, can someone corroborate this info for me right quick? I didn't realize animal people based off of original grazer creatures still needed to graze when retired into a fortress.

If it's true, do you think this is intended behavior?

I had two elephant man (one male, one female) retired adventurers in my fort. I used DFHack to change their sexual orientation, in the hopes that they might marry and have kids, or at the very least have children.

While experimenting with burrowing them into a honey moon sweet (something I haven't tried before, personally), I noticed they were getting hungry and not eating.

Finally tried sticking them into a place with grass, and sure enough they're...grazing, lol.

Is it possible DFhack did something weird to them when I adjusted them, or is that normal? I'm going to assume it's normal. As to whether or not it's intended...well, I donno. It seems silly to me, but based on the way the game works, I understand why it's probably the case.

Anyways, thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 02:49:45 pm by Walkaboutout »

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Re: Retired adventurer animal men still need to graze?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 02:51:13 pm »

Somehow that's.... adorable. It's a honeymoon paddock.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 11:57:47 pm »

Holding trunks, and hands.
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 03:57:10 am »

I have no idea about the actual question, but I believe the rule that the two in the future couple have to have a maximum age difference of 10 years is valid for all races (but not upheld in world gen). Thus, to make them eligible for marriage you may have to adjust the age of one of them to meet that restriction. If they're former adventurers I guess they are within the age range already.

It sounds a bit odd with grazing animal people from a practical perspective. You wouldn't get much work out of an elephant man who needs to graze for 18 hours a day...

Does anyone have any experience with accepting grazer based animal people as petitioners/citizens?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 12:16:19 am »

Did you join the fortress before retiring? Might make a difference. I had an ex-adventurer tavern keeper elephant-man for a while and never noticed him getting particularly hungry. Didn't play for very long afterwards though.

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 09:43:42 am »

Did you join the fortress before retiring? Might make a difference. I had an ex-adventurer tavern keeper elephant-man for a while and never noticed him getting particularly hungry. Didn't play for very long afterwards though.

They were citizens of the fort when I retired them, yes. They were actually generated in the fort; the civ that the fort was part of had animal men living in it, and I generated four in total at that fort. The 2 elephant men in question, one tiger man (who, being a non-grazer, had no issues of course), and one additional elephant man (who also needs to graze). So they were full members of the fort's local group, and the civ it belonged to. Full labors were available for them in fort mode, etc.

With that said, as is implied above, I have retired and unretired this fort several times, which may well have resulted in some odd behavior. One thing I already noticed is that in my storage area, I have several rooms dug out. This is maybe ten levels underground. One of those rooms I was using as a temporary meeting area. At some point in time during the retires/unretires, the floor material of that particular room got changed to a different material (from marble or phyllite I think to claystone), and it got marked as being outside, and not subterranean. There's ten-ish levels of solid rock above that area, no open space, etc. Areas above it and below it are still marked subterranean. So...something isn't entirely right with fort retire/unretire, and that may well be having some sort of odd effect on the elephant peoples.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 09:46:52 am by Walkaboutout »

LCastillo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 07:08:29 pm »

Are you sure you had vegetarian food? I'm not sure about them normally grazing but I know I've read Elephant men are strict vegetarians.

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 10:30:54 pm »

That's a good point. I have a ton of Plump Helmet they don't seem interested in, and I have a ton of prepared meals, but most of those were probably prepared from meats. I'm pretty sure there's been vegetable/fruit stuff available to them, but I'll have to gather a ton of top side herbs and fruits and see of they'll eat it, to be sure here. Worth a look for sure.

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 11:26:30 am »

It's a honeymoon paddock.
I had two elephant man (one male, one female) retired adventurers in my fort. I used DFHack to change their sexual orientation, in the hopes that they might marry and have kids,
Berries and fruits should do the trick.
Orientation? What were they attracted to beforehand?
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 12:03:52 pm »

The usual reasons for failure to marry dwarves (and other sapients) is that they're homosexual, asexual, or heterosexual but unwilling to commit to marriage. Most unmarried visitors are unmarried due to one of the two latter reasons (homosexual marriage exists in DF).

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 12:15:46 pm »

It's a honeymoon paddock.
I had two elephant man (one male, one female) retired adventurers in my fort. I used DFHack to change their sexual orientation, in the hopes that they might marry and have kids,
Berries and fruits should do the trick.
Orientation? What were they attracted to beforehand?

They were asexual. Apparently all retired adventurers are asexual. DFHack has a script that will make them hetero and interested. It can be used on any race on the map; dwarves, animals, etc.

I've been spending more time making sure they eat than I have trying to get them to breed at this point. They haven't been burrowed together in a small area for some time while I messed around with the grazing thing. I also need to check their ages to see if they're within ten years of one another, as that appears to also be a factor in whether or not a pair will get together. Like I said though, that took a bit of a back seat to my experimenting with setups that I could use to make sure that grass or cave moss is always available to animal people that might need to graze. Considering the FPS in this fort is a steady 25ish at the moment, nothing in it happens fast at all, LOL.

It's absolutely do-able, but for me, I'd just as soon stick to non grazing animal people for retired adventurer residents, haha. I was just checking out the elephant people initially to see how crazy OP the massive fellas really were. Which, btw, they are awesome. They're rather destructive as both an adventurer and as fort military, from what I've seen so far. However, they're slow. It seems like, at least in this fort that's been constantly retired/unretired, that animal people in particular have some pathing or speed issues. Maybe they're always moving around in stealth mode (since I usually have it turned on when I adventure). I don't know. They just don't move as fast as a dwarf or elf or human. They move a square or two, then pause and wait, then move a couple more, then pause and wait. It's weird. That behavior goes away if they're hauling something in their hand. They'll do the slow thing until they pick up an item they want to, say, store in a stockpile. As soon as they do, they move without pauses. As soon as they're done with the task, back to pausing.

Long story short, there's a couple bug reports here I need to make, I'd say.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 06:06:56 pm »

I believe there is a bug report concerning the speed of retired adventurers already, so check before you post.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2017, 11:53:46 am »

I believe there is a bug report concerning the speed of retired adventurers already, so check before you post.
Yes, and the fix is this: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9588#c35626
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2017, 03:05:23 pm »

Thanks for the info about the existing bug report all. Definitely what I was seeing, and great that there's a solution there. Though, it seems you'd have to gen a new world once you make the mentioned changes I think.

On a happier note, my first two elephant folks had a baby! I burrowed them in a small 3x3 space of grass with some drink stockpile and a bed. Because they graze fast I had to move them around in a couple small burrow spaces like that. It was a bit of a pain, but it worked out.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2017, 04:03:59 pm »

I would try the raw changes suggested on the files in the save and see what happens (make a backup first, just in case). It depends on whether the problematic token is stored in the creature individuals or whether they're read from the raws on loading the save (and if the tag is stored on the individuals it should be possible to edit using DFHack if the location has been mapped).
Pages: [1] 2