Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vampire lairs or castles or etc...  (Read 2484 times)

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
Vampire lairs or castles or etc...
« on: January 06, 2017, 04:36:42 pm »

After thinking of Castlevania for a bit, it got an idea in my head.

Why not let vampires build castles or such in a far off area?

It would be cool to tackle a place like that.

Now, what do you all have to say about this

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire lairs or castles or etc...
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 05:39:53 pm »

Shouldn't they just take over pre-existing castles?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 06:02:12 pm »

That could also work.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 09:52:22 pm »

Isn't that what they do right now when they take over the government of a site?

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 09:54:30 pm »

Pretty much, but I was thinking out in pretty much the middle of nowhere, you could find an elaborate castle belonging to a vampire.

I had a bit of Castlevania on the brain when I made this...

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 01:50:14 am »

Pretty much, but I was thinking out in pretty much the middle of nowhere, you could find an elaborate castle belonging to a vampire.
Shouldn't they just take over pre-existing castles?

Adding improvements/changes on the existing 'Tower' types could help this, as to say that a vampire finds a abandoned necromancer tower & builds a castle into/around it. Or that local people set out to destroy/convert towers owned by wizards and might find uses for them, like prisons or keep them for a fortified defensive fixture.

They change hands and have things built on them/removed as nessecary.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 08:38:48 am »

Hmmm...

That could work very well, FantasticDorf.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 02:59:24 pm »

How about a wealthy lord having an estate near a town/hamlet? Someplace less busy than the castle inside a bustling town.

A vampire could murder the lord, steal their identity, infect a close servant, then claim to be chronically ill and refuse to see anyone else in person. Or the lord himself could become infected.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 03:01:34 pm »

Lots of good ideas so far!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 10:26:50 am »

Vampires would want to stay near their food source and they would consider those that prey on their food source as competitors that need to be taken out.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 01:34:24 pm »

Vampires would want to stay near their food source and they would consider those that prey on their food source as competitors that need to be taken out.

It would be safer for a vampire than mingling with the population, probably here we could make the distinction that the castle/tower vampires have the resources to not have to mill around with the 'peasants'

Sbcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [MALFUNCTIONING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 06:04:56 pm »

Well Vampires could be large mansions on the outside of a town, or in the fielded area outside it. You could have other rich folk do the same thing so vampires don't have a sign saying, "Hey come kill me so you can become one of me" or maybe we could do that.
To the beer!

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 05:44:40 am »

I expect this will become a thing once more secrets and goals are added.

You'd expect that a multi-century old vampire would gather knowledge of various magics over the years, but right now the only vanilla secret is necromancy, the only reason people seek it out is to gain immortality with the zombies being apparently a minor side effect, and that means immortal vampires will not become necromancers and will not build towers.

I expect that once secrets are more closely linked to logical goals, vampires (especially older ones) will regularly be necromancers and probably have a whole bunch of powers accumulated over their long lives.

n4m3l3ss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2017, 10:12:47 am »

Yeah, it would be cool to raid a creepy vampire castle.

But this needs just a bit of realism. There has to be a way the vampire can feasibly live like this, without making everyone in town suspicious and kill him in less than 100 years.
For example, the castle could be way off the beaten track. Like an abandoned-looking castle in the middle of the forest, where no one goes very much. The vampire could keep some humans as cattle in the dungeon.

Living closer to mortals and/or taking over an existing castle needs some ideas, too. I guess claiming "the lord is ill and will not see anyone today" is doable.

Come to think of it, if there are enough vampires in town, maybe they don't really need to hide so much. Like if 10% of the population becomes vampires somehow, they could form an all-vampire military, rule the town/hamlet from their castle and feed on the mortals as they please. Until someone conquers or overthrows them.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2017, 10:53:40 am »

Yeah, it would be cool to raid a creepy vampire castle.

But this needs just a bit of realism. There has to be a way the vampire can feasibly live like this, without making everyone in town suspicious and kill him in less than 100 years.
For example, the castle could be way off the beaten track. Like an abandoned-looking castle in the middle of the forest, where no one goes very much. The vampire could keep some humans as cattle in the dungeon.

Living closer to mortals and/or taking over an existing castle needs some ideas, too. I guess claiming "the lord is ill and will not see anyone today" is doable.

Seems fine, but then that'd be a little odd because dwarves usually aren't excused from seeing anybody (because no illness represented in the game and no polite refusals to meet people), that and a few servants employed from the local villages as a occupational thing for washing floors etc sounds fine.

• In the dev log, we don't know about the mansion property devgoal, so a castle/tower might just be a end-game personal piece of property for rich nobles living in the countryside so a vampire might yet be able to blend in with the ruling class if they acquired (killed the owner?) or personally built it.

There's also the matter of diplomacy, the vampire might have any number of amicable/exortionate agreements with the local town such as doing magical odd-jobs or defending it from monsters/bandits in exchange for a regular sacrifice or being part/owner of the site.

• You find a castle, slay the vampire and suddenly the local town is up in arms aggressive against you because now nobody can provide the magic to heal the ill and they are defenceless against their neighbours etc given all the agreements that favoured the townspeople (from a unusually altruistic vampire despite often being sadists) are now gone.
Come to think of it, if there are enough vampires in town, maybe they don't really need to hide so much. Like if 10% of the population becomes vampires somehow, they could form an all-vampire military, rule the town/hamlet from their castle and feed on the mortals as they please. Until someone conquers or overthrows them.

If it was openly ruled by vampires (there's probably going to be a sect mechanic around that given that vampires are referenced to have 'cabals' and not ruled for very long because of worldgen 'purges') then i could imagine that being the case, and the smallfolk being too terrified to really fight against what is going on.

• Whether it would be inside the original civ with just a growing vampire majority in the nobles or become its own little entity type (hamlet/town ruled by vampire 'masters') is debatable, a hamlet doesn't posess a "market" (that differentiates major from minor sites) for hosting important civ nobles, but a castle nearby might fufill that function if the hamlet is disconnected from its market town.

It might definitely attract the attention of the authorities (the kind of people to contact adventuring folk like the player for 'quests') to investigate & clean out the city of werewolves/vampires/nightbeasts etc even if you aren't sure who you are meant to be looking for, instead listening to the rumours, aggressively questioning people and occasionally stabbing the wrong person.

Clearing out these infested cities with your cavalier way of stabbing anybody with pointy teeth or hairy palms could aid a growing reputation for being a night creature hunter.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 10:55:37 am by FantasticDorf »
Pages: [1] 2