Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How do/have you played dwarf fortress

I've always played with just the original game.
- 38 (50.7%)
I started out with other textures but then later switched back to the ascii
- 17 (22.7%)
I've always played with textures changed
- 10 (13.3%)
I started out with the original ascii but later switched to other textures
- 10 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Who has always used the Original ascii pack of DF?  (Read 3328 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Who has always used the Original ascii pack of DF?
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2017, 07:42:01 pm »

I started with the vanilla curses_640x300, had a brief bout of squareness, then started using my own upscaled version of the default set before discovering the amazing rescales Dragon DePlatino did with vectorwizardry and highly recommend them to everyone.

Oh, and varied ground tiles are a must, especially with the shading I use for ground/floor/wall tiles, the quilt of greens and such are nice looking.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 07:43:50 pm by Max™ »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2017, 05:44:45 pm »

I've always used a modified ASCII tileset, Cooz_Curses square 16x16, that adds a little shading to the characters. Makes it easier to pick out the borders of tiles, little easier on the eyes.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2017, 01:17:07 am »

I played DF default everything because I enjoy discovering the game. To the point of having several decent forts and vast amounts of FUN! without spoiling the surprises by reading forums or even the Wiki.

But when I gave some tileset (Pheobus, maybe?) a go, I found it easier to get into the RP aspects of the game. Rather than just a "Ho-hum, move the cursor to that particular symbol and press a key and some memory location gets updated and maybe some character changes on a screen somewhere", I was really getting into Tobol Asttaron picking berries from something that even looked a little like a berry bush.

I had been playing "forts" completely mechanically until I got bored with them, then switch to a different game, but just that tiny change was enough to switch me out of programmer mode. One start last summer had no one that was interested in mining, even though several had the stats for it. I let each pursue his own interests, and fortunately the first immigration wave had a couple who really loved having a pick in  hand, Udib and Tekkud, and they later became an item.

For me, the tileset made it a completely different game.

Sbcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [MALFUNCTIONING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2017, 04:37:56 am »

Have used the default style since I started playing the game back in 2014. Never really liked the way Tilesets looked.
To the beer!

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2017, 11:44:06 am »

I used to play with graphics, but now I play in ascii, using my own tileset. Actually I mostly use a 2x2-upscaled version of it (so 12x16).
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 04:08:00 pm by Thief^ »
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

daagar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2017, 01:45:58 pm »

I play around with tilesets a ton, but the results of this poll have made me rethink this so my next playthrough will be in ascii of some sort (ie., Taffer, LCD, or CLA).

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2017, 10:27:18 pm »

I've tried ASCII/curses, but it's simply so cluttered and messy.  Phoebus tileset for me, with the diagonal walls.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

ChristianWeiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2017, 09:03:21 am »

I'm confused as to what I should use so I try out as many different things as possible.

I prefer to see my dwarves as sprites, so I can see that there goes Captain of the Guard, and there is my mace lord or champion etc. And like to see the goblins as sprites. But I don't like to see giant's, big creatures, forgotten monsters as sprites because even though the sprite is just a symbol it forms prejudice restriction in my metaphysical perception of that creature when i try to picture the description in my mind. And I don't mind the ASCII graphics for the normal tiles but the dwarves being smiley faces actually restricts my immersion. So I have a oxymoron whereas to use the graphics sets.

Obsidian looks beautiful but I don't like the zoomed in view, same with gemset. So I usually use Phoebus 90% of the time with my self inflected problem described above.

Been playing 43,05 version since the beginning, with the artifact release I don't think I will have a choice though if I understand it correctly, if you want to play the newest version you need to play ASCII.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2017, 09:19:40 am »

Originally i did have a pack (i forget which one, but i played DF as a bundled aesthetic pack) but switched back & adjusted my eyes to the original because I thought id get more 'context' by looking at it as it was meant to be.

For the most part it worked, though i've had people over my shoulder remark about it being unintelligible

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2017, 01:28:32 pm »

Obsidian looks beautiful but I don't like the zoomed in view, same with gemset. So I usually use Phoebus 90% of the time with my self inflected problem described above.

These are pretty much the two tilesets I use.  I find they convey information effectively.  For instance, I like being able to see particular colors and objects at a glance without thinking too much about it, such as when, for instance, someone walks by with something important like adamantine or color-coded mechanisms intended for some specific purpose.

Unlike Nethack or one of the older roguelikes where I'm just so familiar with them that it would actually seem wrong to use a tileset, I'm just not particularly attracted to the ASCII tileset and it actually distracts me.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2017, 07:24:27 am »

Been playing 43,05 version since the beginning, with the artifact release I don't think I will have a choice though if I understand it correctly, if you want to play the newest version you need to play ASCII.
Not...really?

You won't be able to use TWBT on the artifact release right when it comes out, but that shouldn't prevent you from adding a tileset.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2017, 03:52:39 pm »

Yeah, the last "compatibility break" for tilesets was the stepladder, and before that the roots/branches/leaves using the Pt and 1/4 tiles which had previously been free to ignore or use for other purposes.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2017, 04:06:00 pm »

'always'?

no.

learned howdo: ascii on df?  yes

and im never going back.

btbf, i dont play much df now
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 [2]