Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Opening moves  (Read 7430 times)

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Opening moves
« on: January 06, 2017, 09:52:28 pm »

(Partially to formalize my open.)

What are the first few actions on a new map?

Mine are:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Think that's it for my starts. What is your "standard" open?

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: Opening moves
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 10:10:05 pm »

Greatly depends on the site.  Unless I am in a haunted glacier or similarly hostile terrain, I don't rush straight down, opting instead to find a nice horizontal chunk of land to dig in.  My start, on average;

Find where I want the 'front' of my Fortress to be
Create an all-purpose stockpile in front of the entrance (also a pasture nearby for my wagon animals)
Set miners digging a ~8-15 tunnel, then down until I hit bedrock
Once I hit bedrock, make a 10x10 room, move the surface stockpile here
Also in this first room, immediately order up a Mason's Workshop, build a few doors and rock pots
Dig out a farming area somewhere in the soil level.  Dig an adjacent room (above or aside) for storing seeds
Set my farm plots, then build Craftdwarf, Mechanic, and Carpenter Workshops in the first room

From there, it's free form; expanding work areas and initial bedrooms towards whatever goal I have for this Fortress.

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 10:24:01 pm »

Greatly depends on the site.  Unless I am in a haunted glacier or similarly hostile terrain, I don't rush straight down, opting instead to find a nice horizontal chunk of land to dig in.  My start, on average;

Find where I want the 'front' of my Fortress to be
Create an all-purpose stockpile in front of the entrance (also a pasture nearby for my wagon animals)
Set miners digging a ~8-15 tunnel, then down until I hit bedrock
Once I hit bedrock, make a 10x10 room, move the surface stockpile here
Also in this first room, immediately order up a Mason's Workshop, build a few doors and rock pots
Dig out a farming area somewhere in the soil level.  Dig an adjacent room (above or aside) for storing seeds
Set my farm plots, then build Craftdwarf, Mechanic, and Carpenter Workshops in the first room

From there, it's free form; expanding work areas and initial bedrooms towards whatever goal I have for this Fortress.
How often do you find that it's worth it to bother hauling stuff across the map to take advantage of a better above-ground fort?

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 11:51:00 pm »

If your goal is a surface Fortress, then establishing a supply chain is quite valuable.  Spend a few months building a dormitory and stockpiles for blocks/food/booze near your construction site.  Doesn't have to be pretty, just compact.  You can always move your industries and storage into the completed project later, but having a staging area will take years off your build time.  Lastly, when I am moving supplies from underground to surface (or really to any major project across a great distance), I take the time to link my stockpiles to the output workshops, and use ~10-15 wheelbarrows.

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 11:53:19 pm »

I look for a spot to have as my enertence. Then I tend to explore to earths for metals and such. I also have herbalists gather plants to see what I have. But I start up kinda slow because of time it takes to dig out a base, particularly if the soil is thin.
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 12:08:16 am »

If your goal is a surface Fortress, then establishing a supply chain is quite valuable.  Spend a few months building a dormitory and stockpiles for blocks/food/booze near your construction site.  Doesn't have to be pretty, just compact.  You can always move your industries and storage into the completed project later, but having a staging area will take years off your build time.  Lastly, when I am moving supplies from underground to surface (or really to any major project across a great distance), I take the time to link my stockpiles to the output workshops, and use ~10-15 wheelbarrows.

I... don't... follow... you.

Surface fort is last choice, but, because I usually run into aquifers anymore, happens more often than not if I want to do more than turtle.

I don't spend months building my first dorm and dining room -- more like a couple weeks, maybe a little more if I have to build a second woodworker rather than build a stonemason.

Wheelbarrows? When I can afford to build one...

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 12:41:51 am »

Cut trees.
Build the following:
crutches, splints, buckets (I don't bring any they are worth too many points), a kitchen, a still, 30 easy meals, 30 brewed from plant drinks, barrels, bins, beds.

In the meantime:
Dig down 3 levels, leave space for a depot, dig down 1 more, leave space for kitchen, dormitory, farm plots.
Dig. Down. Deep. Hopefully find some water, and find a way to make it a feature not an annoyance.

Start making rock nest boxes and rock pots.
Start making rock blocks.
Move crap inside (including the pigs and turkeys).

Things will start happening that get in the way from about now.

Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 12:54:22 am »

I normally embark with raw materials, an anvil, food, drink, seed, and ore + coal. Add animals and skills and you have my embark.

It goes like:

• Build Masonry (optional)
  • Designate zones to pasture animals so they don't block buildings
  • (Maybe) Designate Trees for chopping and downward staircase
  • Unpause
  • Turn gabbro into blocks
  • (Maybe) have herbalist harvest plants from embark
  • Build Smelter/Furnace with blocks
  • Set up jobs to turn Bit. Coal/Lignite into coke, and cassiterite+(Copper Ore) into bronze bars
  • Once that is done, make jobs to make pick/picks and axe

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 09:17:53 am »

I... don't... follow... you.

Surface fort is last choice, but, because I usually run into aquifers anymore, happens more often than not if I want to do more than turtle.

I don't spend months building my first dorm and dining room -- more like a couple weeks, maybe a little more if I have to build a second woodworker rather than build a stonemason.

Wheelbarrows? When I can afford to build one...
If you are having difficulty with Aquifers, either disable them, or run a few throw away forts to practice piercing them before committing to a real fort.  As for for wheelbarrows... it requires a single log.  Not what I consider resource-intensive :P

Luriant

• Bay Watcher
  • Mediocre english, sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2017, 09:21:12 am »

See the Fortress Checklist thread, have 5 pges of information.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=161243.msg7234818#msg7234818
╔══╦══╗██▓▓
☺♠┼╥╤┼▲▼▓
Θ÷║πΩ║      ▓
+═╬══╣ò    ▓
≈≈▒‼^☻²
╚══╩══╝
  Σ Spkd Grn Glss Blls 252☼ 2.6Γ

Nilbert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2017, 09:55:55 am »

First, pause.  Then look over surface and find best place for entrance (I like it close to the wagon but sometimes there is a better spot).  Designate mining of entrance tunnel to fort where depot will be located and defensive path to rest of fort.  Then dig two big rooms in level below depot or on depot level.  These in the long run will be storage rooms for trading with the depot (transfer all junk to these rooms so easy to find when trading as they are closest).  Then designate a tunnel going to the center of the earth to find the magma layers and water from the caves.

Then I designate a pasture, a huge wood stockpile, a stone stockpile, and designate all the trees near the entrance to be cut down.  Unpause.

Once stone is found and trees cut, I build a mechanics shop, mason, and carpenter on the surface.  Carpenter makes 6 wheelbarrows and some beds.  Mason makes a few tables, chairs, and blocks of the color I want for the depot and floors of the entrance.  Mechanic makes 3 mechanisms.  Then I build a wooden wall around the entrance with a gate and put the pasture for animals on the outside of the gate (I don't like werebeast visits in the first few years and don't start an army for three or four years, so I give them some bait and a way to keep them out).  I also move all the stuff except for the vast amount of coal I bring on each embark from the wagon into the two storage rooms.  I am very careful in doing this so to keep everything separated (all types of food in each of their own pile, cloth in cloth pile, etc.; its a pain to separate bins or barrels later on).  I then build a dorm in a corner of one of the rooms and a little meeting hall in the other.  I also immediately wall off any breaches to the caves.  Early troll means no more fort.  I set up a stonecrafter and rock stockpile in one of the store rooms and build the depot (I don't pack enough food to make it without the first caravan; the first migrant I get becomes the stonecrafter and that's all they do until the rock situation is taken care of, silly dwarf crafts = food).

By early summer, I usually have a little wooden castle with a gate for protection, a depot, simple storage, manufacturing, sleeping areas and a meeting/eating area.  Best of all, I typically have a good idea if and where is water (if no water, no luck!), what colors of rocks there are (important for decoration and castle building), and what types of ores there are and if there is coal.  At that point I pause and layout all the digging I will do and have the miner(s) start with the farming rooms, then production, then storage, then meeting rooms, then bedrooms, and after that, doesn't really matter the order.  After all that digging, smoothing, decorating, etc. is done (I do run the farm as soon as possible though, as boos are necessary), I empty out the storage rooms, tear down the wooden castle and above ground shops, finally take apart the wagon, and build a cool castle around the entrance.

Works pretty well unless some troll gets in when bypassing the caves...

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2017, 10:48:04 am »

In the first couple of months, I always make a simple pillbox around the wagon, including a roof over it. This way I do not need to move everything out of the wagon and keas/monkeys cannot steal stuff. And if something like a pack of ogres wanders through, everyone can huddle in the dirt below and wall themselves in.

How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2017, 03:20:17 pm »

Before you push the Space Bar to un-pause go to Kitchen and make sure they are not cooking Plump Helmets.  FIRST THING!  You want them to eat it raw or you can't get the Plump Helmet Spawn to grow more.  This is the most important FIRST thing to do.  EVER!
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2017, 03:22:20 pm »

Central Hub
Secure Entrance w/ drawbridge
Farms
Food Storage and Dining
Dormitory
Industry (Masonry, craftsdwarf shop)
Hospital + Water
Metalworking
Military

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 11:27:48 am »

I like above ground fortresses.   

Spoiler: 7x7 Farmhouse (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 7x7 Butcher House (click to show/hide)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4