Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Return of Curious Underground Structures [Spoilers for previous editions]  (Read 944 times)

Foamybeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KEK in all things.
    • View Profile

Hello everyone. Hello Toady (I hope you read this!). I hope I'm not the only person who missed Daemonic Fortresses. They were some of the coolest damn things to be found in the Underground - Ancient bastions of The Ultimate Evil, that were sealed up by brave, nameless, Sword-Wielding heroes in the Time Before Time, when the world itself was being forged upon Armok's blood-soaked anvil.

I really loved it when I managed to find one, and, when my fortress could be considered 'Strong Enough' - Remove the Adamantine Sword from the altar, unleashing the very Daemons of Hell. Often, my Dwarves would be overrun, and the fortress walling to ruin... And occasionally, I would be able to hold the daemons off and slowly, ever so slowly, push them back to hell, and seal off the Daemonic Fortress, or... In the single time I managed it, and my personally greatest Triumph - Defeat the daemons in their very lair, and turn the Daemonic Fortress and the slade tower that connected it to Hell into a part of my Fortress.

I think my favorite moment was, when I, as an Adventurer, managed to slay all the remaining Megabeasts, Semi-Megabeasts and Night Creatures (Save the Forgotten Beasts, of course) that had infested the world, fought my way through a Fortress of mine that had fallen into ruin when a Forgotten Beast's attack coincided with a Goblin Siege, and managed to reach the Daemonic Fortress, and remove the blade from its altar. I fought my way down the slade Spire, and then, after slaying all the daemons I could find, threw myself into a Glowing Pit, so as to meet the God of Blood, and drink blood with him from bloodstained goblets made from the skulls of my kills.

Er, anyway. Please Toady, bring back Daemonic Fortresses. I know I can't be the only person who has fond memories of them.
Dwarf Fortress Immortality: Cask of Amontillado-ing all your dwarves.
I'm trying to figure out how creeping eyes vomit despite not having a mouth.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

Toady stated that he disabled the code that spawns them and doesn't remember why.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Foamybeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KEK in all things.
    • View Profile

I'm aware of that. I'm hoping that we can convince him to Re-enable it.
Dwarf Fortress Immortality: Cask of Amontillado-ing all your dwarves.
I'm trying to figure out how creeping eyes vomit despite not having a mouth.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mmm, i wouldn't be against this idea now that the game is going to be more fleshed out about objects. (though i wouldn't want to distract them away from the current arc, so we get more efficient dev'ving)

Without meaning to be rude, adding ideas onto the structure would be more productive than outright demanding in the hopes of convincing them, given that the feature is getting quite old and might not work as smoothly in the current version or atleast be open to more features for improvement.

Some suggestions i would like to suggest personally

> The adamantine sword is a unique masterwork & but the rock pedestal with sword attached is a artifact that can't be activated unless in fortress mode and or conditions are met in adventure mode.

> The underground structure is either populated with a race of goblins *does not require to actually BE goblins, see deep goblins*/ some kind of antagonistic race as to not re-use the zombie/skeleton assets if not nessecary.

Deep Goblins
- Goblins & Trolls are noted to semi-canonnically *though generally unknown* to originate from the underworld through a vartiety of sources, given by Zach & Tarn themselves. If for some reason goblins were to be removed from the underworld and placed in the oppressive darkness of the caverns, like deep dwarves who are said to be very different from the humanoid dwarves, we could expect the goblins to change and manifest into a much more primal appearance like the harsh surroundings full of monsters & forgotten beasts.

> Deep goblins like trolls have dark skin & short length body fur, very luminous red eyes, long beastial nails & a small but proportionate set of horns upon their head, indeed the effect is that they are inherently closer to being more demonlike in appearance. They stand at the height of a elf, yet the largest are said to be as tall as humans.

> Deep goblins don't recognise other goblins and generally hostile to all intruders but very self reserved with a warrior society that highly values martial skill, unlike goblins as to keep peace in their fortress bastions they are very stoic, pragmatic & self reserved and non-argumentative instead taking their anger out via combat with opponents rather than comrades. Mercenaries are rare, and small talk is not recommended

wilsonns

• Bay Watcher
  • Golden hair?Green eyes?Spiky beard?Super Dorf Jin!
    • View Profile

I guess we'll be seeing an improved version of it in the upcoming versions.
It would be quite awesome to see a loose concept based off of the world's myth . Each world would get its own version(or versions, depending) of misterous underground structure.
In a world, you could get a slade castle infested with zombies, where theres a masterwork sword that seals the link beetween the world and hell, while in other world it could be a fortress from time before time caved in long ago populated by a random sapient race frozen in time with magic, or even a structure that binds an ancient evil from dimensions beyond, sealed with a god-material spear pierced through its chest and when removed, lets loose this entity on the world, or a primal zone where the energies from the very universe give birth to new lifeforms in a perpetual cycle.... the oportunities are endless if Toady abstract the "Underground Structure' and flesh it out with randomness unique to Dwarf fortress.

Sbcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [MALFUNCTIONING]
    • View Profile

I think they more or less got replaced by Underworld Spires, or whatever they call em now.
To the beer!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile

Those were present alongside the structures, iirc. (Though I didn't play then, so no idea what happened with overlap between the two.)