Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Starting a war with the elves  (Read 1712 times)

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starting a war with the elves
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2017, 01:20:07 pm »

Kill their diplomats.
Do they even send diplomats? I only ever get their traders.

Anyway, I don't know many techniques to strain your relation to the elves, but I know that killing their traders and letting one escape makes them hate you more than killing them all.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2017, 06:49:51 pm »

Kill their diplomats.
Do they even send diplomats? I only ever get their traders.

When I cut down all the trees, I usually get a diplomat who starts complaining, then I murder him for coming to my fort and talking that hippie BS at me.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2017, 06:24:21 pm »

Now hear me out here. Your goal in going to war is to fight elves. Your goal in fighting elves is to kill them, thereby winning the war. It sounds like you're just cutting out the middle man here by killing them without war.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2017, 11:02:31 pm »

I thought the goal was to be entertained by violence and the awesome fireworks of body parts flying every which way; or the grim satisfaction of seeing the fools who were sent to their doom be disposed of by dwarven ingenuity.

Otherwise, could just always gen worlds where elves cannot settle (by, say, having all the forests be terrifying) or mod them out entirely, if the goal was to just get rid of them.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2017, 01:25:31 pm »

I thought the goal was to be entertained by violence and the awesome fireworks of body parts flying every which way; or the grim satisfaction of seeing the fools who were sent to their doom be disposed of by dwarven ingenuity.

This accurately describes the state of the elvish traders as it is, though.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2017, 01:31:53 pm »

The main reason I don't always just kill them is they don't even have enough for it to be worth the hassle.  I can usually just buy the entire caravan with prepared meals or something.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2017, 07:33:31 pm »

Well, traders may try to run away in terror, and you don't get the satisfaction of them seeing their state of the art wooden sticks go plink on new 12-year-old's steel armor like stick on advanced metallurgy. There's nothing like "all of your best can't harm a single hair on the head of our worst".

(Yeah, I know, not actually quite true, what's with ears and tongues and joint locks, and now also removing gear from exhausted warriors. But still.)
Pages: 1 [2]