Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Adventure mode has broken for 2 years. Here's why.  (Read 6046 times)

dillonsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adventure mode has broken for 2 years. Here's why.
« on: January 08, 2017, 12:05:33 am »

I have noticed many topics explaining the Big Problem of adventure mode, That problem being almost everything is passive (meaning they will not attack you until you attack them). For the most part, The only things that will attack you on sight are Beasts and aggressive Wildlife.
Also almost everyone is a big wussy, Almost everything that you attack (with exception to Bandits, Beats and Aggressive Wildlife) Immediately runs away.
The Danger of Adventure mode has somewhat been lost

Another problem, Can be seen when your playing as murdering psychopath. When you Attack random civilians in a town, Almost always the other civilians do absolutely nothing, Rarley do the other dwarfs attempt to attack you, Even when you have already murdered like 50 people from that civ. They don't even run away, They just stand there and watch, as you murder their friends and family.
Dwarfs rarley respond to the violent members of their society

DF 2014
http://imgur.com/a/zbdAF
0.34.11 (DF 2012)
http://imgur.com/a/ZZVnC

As you can see attacking 15 members of a civilization isn't enough to make you an enemy to them in DF 2014,
However in 0.34.11 you will be Instantly kicked out of the Civilization and named an enemy to the STATE

This is also the same reason why tantrum spirals no longer happen.

Such a Shame, Cause 43.05 has a lot going for it, Being able to directly dodge or block an attack is brilliant. I like the fact that trees are more then 1 tile. Caravans and all the cool new buildings are cool, The Quests you get from a lord are great and The fact that bandits roam out in the wild could cause alot of !FUN! in encounters.

Is there mod that fixes these problems?
If not can someone make that mod.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure mode has broken for 2 years. Here's why.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 01:32:16 am »

hmm so here the thing 2014 and 2012 introduced randomly generated peasants who had no family ties as they were spawn into the map(which meant peasants having familes was taken out).
which made it really really creepy talking to them as they all just blanks made to fill out the town.
There the a case of vision cones coming to play with not noticing or caring about your killing where you could be murdering folks and everyone not looking.
also ethics comes into play
here's the raw list for Civs ethics on killing folks
Code: [Select]
Dwarves
[ETHIC:KILL_ENTITY_MEMBER:PUNISH_CAPITAL]
[ETHIC:KILL_NEUTRAL:ONLY_IF_SANCTIONED]
[ETHIC:KILL_ENEMY:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:KILL_ANIMAL:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:KILL_PLANT:ACCEPTABLE]
Elves
[ETHIC:KILL_ENTITY_MEMBER:JUSTIFIED_IF_EXTREME_REASON]
[ETHIC:KILL_NEUTRAL:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:KILL_ANIMAL:JUSTIFIED_IF_SELF_DEFENSE]
[ETHIC:KILL_PLANT:UNTHINKABLE]
Human
[ETHIC:KILL_ENTITY_MEMBER:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]
[ETHIC:KILL_NEUTRAL:JUSTIFIED_IF_NO_REPERCUSSIONS]
goblins
[ETHIC:KILL_ENTITY_MEMBER:PERSONAL_MATTER]
[ETHIC:KILL_NEUTRAL:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:KILL_ENEMY:REQUIRED]
as I just now notice humans don't care about murders if there a good reason to kill them... which probably falls under if some lord sent you on a kill quest. which then marks you as a soldier than a murderer.
considering DF adventure mode human towns are insurrectionville 2015 (was when this was big) where lords all are battling it out for the same site one person going on a rampage would look like a normal insurrection in play.
but oh man if they find a good reason to kill you they keep at it. as being a goblin is basically a death sentence as they are required to fight... everyone not of their Civ.
so you see peasants who don't have the ethics to fight you until provoke will gladly mow down a goblin bard who panic and declared themselves an enemy of the state.

which now thinking on it goblin bards are their own civ which makes their parent civ ethics spark them in a killing frenzy.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 04:09:05 am »

[NATURAL_SKILL:DISCIPLINE:3] or higher solves everything.

I did remove the kill neutral:required because it got annoying, hilarious though it was.

dillonsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 04:44:06 am »

-Snip-
They do react to my killings, by spitting at me, but they rarley ever try to attack me. It's like they have delayed reaction, almost everytime i have to Goat them into trying to kill me.

I understand why it was changed, (if you get in a brawl you would still become an enemy of the state) but Toady could have easily changed it so thatm, if you get like 2 noticed kills (kills people know you did) then you become an enemy.

What's odd to me is that goblins have [ETHIC:KILL_ENEMY:REQUIRED], however when going to bandit sites with goblins, they decide have a nice chat with me instead of spilling my guts all over the ground.

dillonsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 05:15:44 am »

[NATURAL_SKILL:DISCIPLINE:3] or higher solves everything.

I did remove the kill neutral:required because it got annoying, hilarious though it was.

How do Mod the game so that happens, (does it solve the problem with town members not attacking you when you attacked members of there group?)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 05:58:18 am »

-Snip-
They do react to my killings, by spitting at me, but they rarley ever try to attack me. It's like they have delayed reaction, almost everytime i have to Goat them into trying to kill me.

I understand why it was changed, (if you get in a brawl you would still become an enemy of the state) but Toady could have easily changed it so thatm, if you get like 2 noticed kills (kills people know you did) then you become an enemy.

What's odd to me is that goblins have [ETHIC:KILL_ENEMY:REQUIRED], however when going to bandit sites with goblins, they decide have a nice chat with me instead of spilling my guts all over the ground.
Bandits aren't the goblin civ, and you just add that line to the civilized races, and it makes people a lot bitchier when you're a murderer, but the random folks won't just autoaggro you on demand because it was a rather insane sort of response.

"Hey, that guy just lopped the head off my neighbor effortlessly!"
'Fuck him, let's jump him with our dinky knives!'

dillonsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 06:27:41 am »

-Snip-

The Problem I have is that you can kill 50 people from your civ, And you won't be there enemy. in 0.34.11 the moment you attack person, you become a enemy, I much prefer that way, And I'm wondering if there is way to make the game work like that?

I think the Aggressive response is reasonable
"Hey, that guy just killed my neighbor effortlessly for no reason"
"what a monster"
"There is like 6 of us in this cramped room, We can totally fuck him up if we tag team on him"
*you dodge the Farmers attack*
*The Shearer stabs you in head with the silver knife*
*you are knocked unconscious
*500 messages*
*you are deceased*
"oh shit that guy just killed my brother, sister and my neighbour"
"I should probably just stand here and do nothing about it"
"hell I'm not even gonna run I doubt he'll kill me"
*You stab the farmer in the head*
*The farmer has been killed*

If you were demigod and decent skills, you could probably end up killing everyone in the town, but if you weren't careful and got corner you would be killed pretty easily. It's not perfect, i cannot deny that, Some of them shouldn't attack, But it's much better then having them do nothing.

Also how do you these tags

Do you go raw/objects/creature_standard and then just paste in under, cause that's what i did and it seems nothing has changed everyone is still wussies

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 10:19:50 am »

Is there mod that fixes these problems?

Not the issue you have with townsfolk, no. The other issues, yes (in part).

Also almost everyone is a big wussy, Almost everything that you attack (with exception to Bandits, Beats and Aggressive Wildlife) Immediately runs away.

DF Wanderer and my own mod Revised partially solve this portion of the problem by adding natural DISCIPLINE skill to many animals and humanoids. Many predators are also now fearless.

I have noticed many topics explaining the Big Problem of adventure mode, That problem being almost everything is passive (meaning they will not attack you until you attack them). For the most part, The only things that will attack you on sight are Beasts and aggressive Wildlife.

The Modest Mod or Revised should help solve this problem (in part) by making many giant animal variations hunt humanoids. This will only help in savage areas, however.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 11:02:35 am by Taffer »

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 10:20:29 am »

Crossing rivers though... And megabeasts. Omg megabeasts :'(

which now thinking on it goblin bards are their own civ which makes their parent civ ethics spark them in a killing frenzy.
lol

I do find it rather annoying that my companions will always attack enemies who have yielded, even if I order my companion to yield, or they are both of the same race.

Edit: Installed Masterwork 43.03 so that I could play as naga and hordes of naga wrestlers keep following me around in Year 2 and attacking my companions. It always says 'ambush' and fast-travel won't outrun them. Then my companions start killing the wrestlers and if I help either side then my companions attack me afterward. This is with no world/character history of violence. Killed my immersion. Is this because of the Civ Skills setting?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 10:54:45 pm by FakerFangirl »
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 12:18:02 pm »

>.> I use my tweaked gm-editor to hop across rivers in travel mode. Added in a line so it detects travel mode and pulls up the x/y/z pos of my army.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 06:11:00 pm »

The easy response to this (and the other "Is adventure mode broken" thread) is simply to quote Toady's latest dev message:

It's difficult to get it right, and it's not going to be quite up to the level where it'll need to be for the justice/crime features later on, but we're trying to keep everything pointed in the right direction.

Basically, the feature you want (justice/crime) hasn't been started yet.  I really doubt it will be done in the next 2.5 years, because the next thing is myth/magic.  Hopefully there will be some improvement with the latest changes since it addresses information flow, but I would heed his warning: it's not going to be quite up to the level that will be needed.

Let me back up a bit, though.  Consider what Toady has always said about what inspired adventure mode: the idea that there are "bones" files in rogue-likes that let you explore the actions that you previously took.  Indeed, this is one of the most compelling aspects of DF overall.  There is a history that you can take part in and explore.

There is one feature (turned off by default) that I have never heard anyone use: Legends mode can be configured to hide details that you have not yet discovered in adventure mode.  The idea is that the history only becomes accessible once you visit places, talk to people and learn about it.  With that in mind, you might be able to imagine a very different kind of adventure mode than you might have thought about before.

Instead of viewing adventure mode as a typical rogue-like where you wander around killing things indiscriminately in order to level up and become more powerful, imagine a game where combat is self defence and your goal is to discover things about the world.  With this way of thinking, the prioritisation of features in the game makes a little bit more sense (to my thinking, anyway).

But, let me riff off your original theme, because while I wouldn't say adventure mode is "broken" it's only because I've never been under the impression that it ever "worked" at all.  You start the game and you have absolutely no context at all.  The map is unfamiliar and the recent events are difficult to discover unless you know where to look.  The "quest" system is clearly a placeholder with your lord telling you that some menace has been plaguing your civilisation for years, never mind that the menace in question is on another continent and has never had any interaction with your civilisation *ever*.  You hear about armies on the march, with no indication of who is involved or why they are fighting (even though that's all nicely accessible in legends mode).

You meet people and learn about them, but the only way to discover those facts is to tell stories about them.  And when you do, you have access to almost everything ever known about them.  You can ask about their family, but then you can't ask them about the person they just mentioned.  You can look at your events page, but you can't ask anyone about the events.  You can even spread rumours about these events even though you have no way of following up what's going on.  You can hear about buildings in a city, but you can't ask anyone to give you directions to the building.

Basically, unless you are very, very skillful at the game, there is virtually no way to get any context about the world and any reason to do anything.  So people just wander around on killing sprees, thinking that this is the point of the game.  And it's strange because you meet a bandit travelling on a "mission" and you know they are a bandit.  So you kill them, but you companions think you are unhinged and tell everyone they see what a maniac you are.  So now, you are labelled a killer.  Or you visit a bandit camp and they don't attack you, so you attack them first -- but really, what is your justification?  "I know they are bandits!"  And when the bandit leader screams for mercy, if you grant it -- he just goes back to being a bandit leader.  In fact, if you don't freaking kill every single one of those bastards, the bandit camp just keeps operating (how strange...)  And your companions think you are nuts.

But the thing is, if you go to a village and witness the bandits attacking, and if you rescue the victims and then go to the bandit camp, kill everyone and then return to the village to report your success -- you will be a hero.  And if you go to the next town, who has never heard of the bandits, you will be a murderous nutcase.

I think this is the subtlety that escapes most players.  The game is not about killing, it is about exploring the world and discovering the context.  It's just that the tools are *so* poor that this is really, really difficult to do.  The fact that you can murder a whole town and the rest of the civilisation does not willingly rush to fall on your sword is inconvenient, but when taken in the whole of missing features it seems like a drop in the bucket to me.

Which is not to say that adventure mode is not fun.  It is tremendous fun.  But there are just huge swaths of ground where you are going to have to look the other way and imagine that it works the way you want it to.  It's just not even close to finished yet.

dillonsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 06:28:19 pm »

-snip-

I know Adventure isn't just about killing, exploration is big, Getting to know the world is great and all, but if i can't fit in the world properly it's quite weird.
The thing is, Were are missing a feature that worked in previous verisons. This feature being, the ability to turn on your civ, by attacking other citizens, They didn't get some kind of "law enforcement" after you, They took matters in there own hands, they attacked you, because you were named an enemy.

If i want to be evil asshole, Then the game should be able react to me being an asshole. If I wanna serve the town's people and help them out, The game should let me. It shouldn't punish me for killing vampire who has revealed himself as a killer of 1000 of innocents, because of stupid morale system. I shouldn't be punished by town members for attacking goblins bandits, who have "harassing them" and killing their towns people.

I'm not looking for a full on justice system, I just want to be able to be able to become an enemy of things, cause sometimes it's fun to bad guy.

The reason i say it's broken.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2017, 09:04:01 pm »

[SEMIMEGABEAST] or [MEGABEAST] will do that just fine, and people across the world will thank you for killing bandits they've never even heard of.

Literally only people who were directly related to a bandit will ever get mad, and even they will point out that you are a hero as they spit and call you a murderer for killing their asshole criminal child or whatnot.

SkeleBret

• Bay Watcher
  • shudders and begins to move!
    • View Profile
    • I make YouTube videos
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2017, 11:09:21 pm »

I don't have anything useful to say, I just wanted to say the title of this thread looks like a Buzzfeed article and it made me chuckle

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 12:25:36 am »

Totally thought the same thing.

"You won't believe the 15 code violations abducted children say they say in dark fortresses!"
"The top 10 things YOU are doing wrong when performing."
"The Land of Griffons is more dangerous than ever before, here's 5 reasons why."
Pages: [1] 2 3