Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Temple instrument question  (Read 8343 times)

Apostolos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Temple instrument question
« on: January 08, 2017, 12:25:01 am »

It has been a while since I decided to fire up DF.  Now apparently temples in your fort are a thing.  Cool.  OK I figured out how to assign a 5x5 meeting area and designate it as a temple.  My question is:

Now What?

In the wiki it says they require musical instruments.... ok.. where do you see the demand for one of those?   aka what screen and how do you get there to see that?

Also.. it says something about needing containers to put the musical instruments in.  Again.. what specific type of containers do you need? I made a chest but apparently chests can only be placed in someone's room.. hah ok fine I'll give it someone else :/   Now what?

OH and btw.. one of my embark dwarfs had a liking for war hammers.  I was like.. hmm this could be interesting.  So gave him 5 points in weapon smithing.  About 3 seasons in and about 3 craftsdwarf fey moods, he got a fey mood.  I immediately locked him in the smithy as I dug around and found some platinum, put a bar in a room beside him and sure enough he picked it up. I thought he was about to die from thirst, but lo and behold: Fashbatok Nirurosram

This is a platinum war hammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with goose leather and encircled with bands of square cut light yellow diamonds and platinum. This object menaces with spikes of aquamarine.  On the item is an image of Urdim Pricehcannels the dwarf in light yellow diamond.

Value: 188400

I was giggling like a school girl

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: Temple instrument question
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 01:10:25 am »

It should be under |l|ocations, where artifacts used to be, just scroll down the list of whatever taverns, temples, and libraries and you can see the contents of each one. Though they don't really "demand" more stuff for the locations to function as stress relief; you fill them out as you like and they'll use whatever's available to host organized dance sessions and such.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 04:45:29 am »

I have never had anyone do anything an a temple other than pray or meditate.  I often have instruments in chests and large ones installed.  I have large dance areas, but nothing.  Am I missing something?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 05:02:06 am »

Chests can be built in temples (and taverns and hospitals) with 'b'uild-c'h'est. Note that building a chest cuts away a row of the dance floor (provided you built it at the edge).

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 07:26:38 am »

I have never had anyone do anything an a temple other than pray or meditate.  I often have instruments in chests and large ones installed.  I have large dance areas, but nothing.  Am I missing something?
I've also had never come to my fortress for a pilgrimage; Taverns and libraries both yes on visitors, but never for a temple.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 07:55:24 am »

I once made the mistake of creating a temple for every deity known. Some visitors then stated they'd come to perform and to visit one of the temples, and the buggers stayed in the temple for half a year or more to take care of a lifetime's worth of praying before going to petition (or perform). 75% or so of all visitors were crammed into the most popular temple most of the time. It became even more annoying when I disabled the dedicated temples for visitors, and new visitors would STILL come to do something almost useful and to visit a forbidden temple. I never saw anyone come only for a temple, though.

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 10:06:22 am »

I've never seen a performance in a temple either.  In all my forts now I set the instruments in temples to zero so they all go to the inn.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 11:47:57 am »

I would think you'd get the same effect if you just don't build any containers in temple area.

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 12:56:30 pm »

I would think you'd get the same effect if you just don't build any containers in temple area.

Yes.  And the ridiculous part is even though I set instruments to zero, and have for a long time, I still build a container in the temple out of habit.  Now excuse me while I shuffle off, head hung in shame, to deconstruct the single, sad, empty container in my dwarves lonely, unsmoothed, 7x7 temple with its 6x7 unused dancefloor.

smithist

• Bay Watcher
  • ~freakish wriggling~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 02:18:08 pm »

190k is not bad! Fwiw I've found it handy to selectively forbid materials during a mood. Makes it pretty easy to guarantee a solid gold/steel/platinum artifact with the most valuable decorations.

You shouldn't have a problem building a chest literally anywhere, btw.

Once you have one in any of the locations dwarves will stock them according to the preferences you set in 'l'ocations. I'm surprised nobody gets dances in their temples, people love to get down in my current fort. Maybe it needs a bigger dance floor? Granted, big dances aren't super common and they do happen more often in my tavern.

Maybe you need a critical mass of dwarves worshipping the same thing? Total speculation

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 09:52:00 pm »

Well,you can put statues in temples! Dwarves will get happy thoughts, and maybe become vampires/werebeasts when toppling them!

If you want them to keep praying instead of leaving the temple (if an idle dwarf is in a location area, they'll default to location job even if they have other needs), could also include things like booze stockpiles.

@smithist: Hm, can you show your temple setup? Are you sure it is not overlapping with the tavern?

I also get plenty of dances in taverns - I think the biggest I've seen was with 21 members (one singer and others arranged in a circle, like so:

(As for moods, I'm partial to restricted burrows, as that doesn't disturb the rest of fortress - just assign the dwarf to the burrow at start and remove at end.)

smithist

• Bay Watcher
  • ~freakish wriggling~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 01:41:02 am »

I'll see if I can get a shot of it happening. There's no overlapping. I'm starting to doubt my memory tbh

I agree burrows are more elegant. I've always just been lazy with them and stocks screen is easy

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 10:53:20 am »

But aren't the knowledge to use instruments is needed first? 

I've seen Urist in taverns simulating x instruments. 
But that does not mean my Civ knows how to make x instruments. 

I've not gone the extra mile to check if I have x instrument available, and temple for deity that Urists worships yet. 
Worth a !science! check.
I do wonder if furniture built instruments are needed instead of hand held item instruments.

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 02:16:22 pm »

But aren't the knowledge to use instruments is needed first? 

I've seen Urist in taverns simulating x instruments. 
But that does not mean my Civ knows how to make x instruments. 

I've not gone the extra mile to check if I have x instrument available, and temple for deity that Urists worships yet. 
Worth a !science! check.
I do wonder if furniture built instruments are needed instead of hand held item instruments.

I tracked music skills in several forts until I got the gist of it and grew bored with the record keeping.  Dwarves don't need skill to simulate, play or dance, but someone needs to have skill in a piece (music or dance) to get things started.  Hence arts spread like virus'.  If you look at a job while a dwarf is simulating, playing, dancing, or singing, you can learn where the piece originates and all of the instruments required.  If the piece originates from your civ, all of the instruments will be from your civ and you'll be able to build them.

I'm about 90% on the above speculation.  I recorded about two dozen pieces over about a half-dozen forts.  In all cases either the above was true or the piece originated in a different civ and I was unable to build any of the instruments.  In the example below the form is The Satin of Sweetness, from The Chestnut Kingdoms and requires a singer and a Shato.  In this fort there were several different songs in the form of the Satin of Sweetness, but all required a singer and Shato.  Once I crafted a Shato, they stopped "simulating Shato" and started "playing Shato".  More Shatos did nothing.

Whether the instrument is built or hand held is a property of the instrument only, and so shouldn't make any difference if dwarves are preforming in a temple.  Though there may be a connection to temple music forms and built instruments, dwarves would still be able to Simulate the instrument even if it weren't there.  But since all of my recordings came from Inn performances, I don't honestly know what differences there are.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 10:06:26 pm »

That matches my experience exactly.  The most unfortunate thing is that usually visitors to my fortresses are from other civs and since travelling bards are usually the ones that start a song, the popular songs in my taverns are almost always foreign.  That makes getting the instrument quite difficult at times.  This is why I've speculated that it might be best to have a civ-only tavern to promote local culture, but I haven't tried it.
Pages: [1] 2