Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tileset Errors  (Read 2999 times)

imperator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tileset Errors
« on: January 08, 2017, 08:20:13 pm »

Newly selected tilesets often dont load properly, and get mixed together with previously loaded tileset types.

imperator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tileset Errors
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 08:47:03 pm »

I should probably be more specific.  I attempted to switch to ASCII standard tileset and it's not working.  It's still loading the default graphical tiles from MEPH.  Then, one time I tried to switch from ASCII to Meph and it loaded all ASCII (but in a different color setting).

imperator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 09:23:37 pm »

It gets worse, I switched back and forth a few times between the two and now I'm getting missing .png file errors when I try to load any graphics set.

imperator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 10:03:00 pm »

OK I figured it out for anyone who is having the same issue.  For proper use of the Meph it appears you need the settings to be 2d, Meph color, Masterwork Font, Meph Tileset, Truetype Font ON, and Creature Sprites ON. 

For Proper use of ASCII you need to have "text will be text", Vanilla Color, Default Font, ASCII Tileset, Truetype Font OFF, Creature Sprites OFF.  Text will be text font should be ASCII font or perhaps Gemset.

With these combos I haven't gotten any errors.  I'm not sure why these proper configurations are not suggested in the instructions, it makes it seem like any combo should work for any set, which apparently is not the case.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 10:04:49 pm by imperator »

Benjamin the Rogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 01:36:13 am »

Thanks for logging that, I'm still learning my way around the tilesets, Truetype Font, and the Printmode, so you probably saved me a few hours of tinkering.

imperator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 12:36:45 pm »

Yep it took me a few hours of tinkering to get it right.  At first I thought it was a memory error that caused it to crash, good thing it wasn't.

Benjamin the Rogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 01:41:25 pm »

I'm pretty sure I've got a memory error going on right now, I can't launch any new games with Masterwork or LNP. I've got a brand new PC build (pretty top of the line) and I can run world gen to a point, then it crashes. I've been documenting them, so hopefully I can figure out what is going on, or get help from someone who does.

imperator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 03:02:10 pm »

Make sure those graphical settings match exactly.  I had the exact same issues constantly until I set them to what I specified.  Make sure you click yes to resetting the graphics when it prompts you after changing the tileset.  If the slightest graphics setting is wrong you get errors because there are unavailable .png files.

Also, make sure you use the LAA utility to maximize the exe file's memory use to beyond 2MB.  Under "Utilities", then "LAA", then select the dwarf fortress.exe file, check the box, and save.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 03:10:27 pm by imperator »

Benjamin the Rogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 06:08:13 am »

I've utilized LAA already, that and compatibility mode where the two first things I thought I was having issues with.

I got to the point where I set the graphic settings back to vanilla with TWBT settings and everything, still got these consistent crashes during world gen. I checked out my registry and cleaned that up, so now LNP works sometimes (but not always, some worlds I still can't embark without immediate crashes), but Masterwork is still a no go for embarking or world gen.

My buddy was telling me today he had issues with his Nvidia graphics card crashing programs all of the time, and he recommended clearing out the old drivers and make sure there's nothing left of them when I update to new ones, so I'm going to try that and see what happens. But tomorrow, I'm exhausted tonight.

Noodz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 09:53:52 am »

OK I figured it out for anyone who is having the same issue.  For proper use of the Meph it appears you need the settings to be 2d, Meph color, Masterwork Font, Meph Tileset, Truetype Font ON, and Creature Sprites ON. 

For Proper use of ASCII you need to have "text will be text", Vanilla Color, Default Font, ASCII Tileset, Truetype Font OFF, Creature Sprites OFF.  Text will be text font should be ASCII font or perhaps Gemset.

With these combos I haven't gotten any errors.  I'm not sure why these proper configurations are not suggested in the instructions, it makes it seem like any combo should work for any set, which apparently is not the case.

Thank you for your solution. I have always played DF as it came, so having tilesets/sprites or anything that deviates too much from the original curses tilesets is simply unplayable for me.

However, i cannot stand the ASCII TWBT font that comes with Masterwork :( I have tried overwriting the Ascii.png file; both on DF\data\art; and also on \Masterwork V1.18 (43.03)\MasterworkDwarfFortress\Settings\TwbtFonts ; to no avail. I'm still subject to the terrible ascii tileset.

Therefore, i ask how can i change the ascii.png TWBT font that delivers with Masterwork for something else. Or at the very least some way i can play with original ascii/curses.

(I have tried to post this issue on an older topic, i said it worked but it did not :( the topic is probably lost now)