Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Use for some crops missing?  (Read 6735 times)

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Use for some crops missing?
« on: January 08, 2017, 09:54:45 pm »

Hi there,

I recently harvested some bitter vetch and cannot find a use for it. The wiki states that the leaves are edible and can be cooked but my herbalist also brought the actual plant "bitter vetch" and it's just lying in my stockpile without showing up in the kitchen screen. Is that the case for all crops with leaves? Any idea what it can be used for?

Bauta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
Re: Use for some crops missing?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 06:13:56 am »

I have never seen bitter vetch, but maybe you can use it with your still or a screwpress to make vial out of it ?
_________
>Blacki loses his right arm, Blacki loses his left arm
>Blacki: I am badly injured, this phases me not
>Blacki bites the Goblin lasher in the throat and the injured part is cloven asunder

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 09:47:12 am »

Hi!

You can use bitter vetch (and other "non-use" plants and plant harvestables) to cook with.  They get stored as "spices".  Some of the leaves can also be eaten raw, though I don't remember if bitter vetch is one of those.

- Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 09:53:24 am »

You can use bitter vetch (and other "non-use" plants and plant harvestables) to cook with.  They get stored as "spices".
How can I get my cook to use them then? When I try to cook a lavish meal and leave 3 ingredients open in the kitchen screen (since bitter vetch doesn't show up), I get the cancellation message that unrotten cookable items are needed...

Btw...brewing does not work either. Still have to try the screw press.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 10:13:44 am by Afghani84 »

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 10:38:12 am »

You have to enable it in the cooking menu; plants aren't cooked by default.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 11:30:09 am »

You have to enable it in the cooking menu; plants aren't cooked by default.
What do you mean by "cooking menu"? If you mean Z-Kitchen, then Bitter Vetch is not even on that list, so I cannot toogle it for cook and/or brew. If you're talking about something else, please elaborate...

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 11:45:13 am »

What version are you running? There were many plant harvesting problems early in the v0.40 branch that were resolved years ago.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 11:50:41 am »

What do you mean by "cooking menu"? If you mean Z-Kitchen, then Bitter Vetch is not even on that list, so I cannot toogle it for cook and/or brew. If you're talking about something else, please elaborate...

On recent versions, when you go to 'z' -> kitchen, this is what most players see:

Note, this image is from version 0.43.03.  As Loci referenced, the early 0.40 versions had a lot of plant harvestables that couldn't be used which have been fixed in the newer versions.

- Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 12:09:30 pm »

On recent versions, when you go to 'z' -> kitchen, this is what most players see:

Note, this image is from version 0.43.03.  As Loci referenced, the early 0.40 versions had a lot of plant harvestables that couldn't be used which have been fixed in the newer versions.
I run 0.43.03 as well and I see the exact same kitchen screen. All other harvested plants show up, just not bitter vetch. That's why I was wondering. Maybe it has to do with the bug Loci meantioned and it is not completely fixed yet.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 12:14:17 pm »

Bitter vetch leaves show up (the fifth one down), are you talking about bitter vetch plants?  Because I don't have any bitter vetch plants in my stocks screen, and I thought the bug where dwarves would pull up the entire plant rather than just grabbing the harvestables was fixed a few versions ago.

- Dame de la Licorne

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 01:11:26 pm »

It doesn't say plant, it's just titled "bitter vetch". The leaves also show up in my kitchen as you can see.
But "bitter vetch" does not show up under Vegetables/fruit/leaves or any other category.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 01:12:59 pm »

So where, exactly, are you seeing "bitter vetch"?  Did you get there from the stocks screen?  Because that might be part of that bug I was referring to a couple of posts ago.

- Dame de la Licorne

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 01:26:35 pm »

He may need to process the bitter vetch to (b)ag at the Farmer's shop to turn it into leaves and seeds, the same way Quarry bushes need to be turned into leaves?
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 01:39:17 pm »

I get bitter vetch leaves directly from harvesting the plants.  I don't think it needs to milled, but it's definitely something to try.

- Dame de la Licorne

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 02:02:40 pm »

So where, exactly, are you seeing "bitter vetch"?  Did you get there from the stocks screen?  Because that might be part of that bug I was referring to a couple of posts ago.
What I posted above is the item screen (just selecting it in my stockpile). In the stocks screen it shows up under "plants" (see image).
Interesting side note: after forbidding all other plants, my food stores are apparently empty, so it does not count as a plant under Z-Food Stores. Sounds like a bug to me...

He may need to process the bitter vetch to (b)ag at the Farmer's shop to turn it into leaves and seeds, the same way Quarry bushes need to be turned into leaves?
Just tried it. I cannot process it (p) nor can I process it to a bag (b).
Pages: [1] 2