Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Use for some crops missing?  (Read 6641 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: Use for some crops missing?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2017, 02:10:17 pm »

That does sound like a bug.  In your position, I'd upload a zip copy of the save to the DFFD (it has a section for bugged saves), and make a report on Mantis that links to it.

- Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2017, 03:04:44 pm »

The stocks screen includes items that are currently part of a building (shown in cyan on the tab-expanded stocks view). Your bitter vetch are probably sitting in a farm field awaiting harvest (you can [z]oom to them from the tab-expanded stocks view). When your dwarves harvest the plants they are automatically converted into usable leaves.

It may be possible for something that destroys the field (like a cave-in) to "release" the unharvested plants whole, but that is quite unlikely to occur naturally.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 03:11:58 pm by Loci »

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2017, 03:30:44 pm »

The stocks screen includes items that are currently part of a building (shown in cyan on the tab-expanded stocks view). Your bitter vetch are probably sitting in a farm field awaiting harvest (you can [z]oom to them from the tab-expanded stocks view). When your dwarves harvest the plants they are automatically converted into usable leaves.
I just started the fortress and there are no fields set up yet. All the bitter vetch was harvested from shrubs and are sitting in my stockpile.  ;)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2017, 05:40:20 pm »

I run 0.43.03 as well and I see the exact same kitchen screen. All other harvested plants show up, just not bitter vetch. That's why I was wondering. Maybe it has to do with the bug Loci meantioned and it is not completely fixed yet.
Did you generate the world in an earlier version? Raw changes require a new world.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2017, 06:34:02 pm »

I run 0.43.03 as well and I see the exact same kitchen screen. All other harvested plants show up, just not bitter vetch. That's why I was wondering. Maybe it has to do with the bug Loci meantioned and it is not completely fixed yet.
Did you generate the world in an earlier version? Raw changes require a new world.
It was a fresh world (v 0.43.03)
I went ahead and posted the issue on the bug tracker (Loci's link)
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys!

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2017, 11:26:44 am »

First off, I'm going to assure you that you're not crazy.  Bitter Vetch is still worthless as a plant.  When you look at the wiki for Bitter Vetch you'll see three sections in the right hand column - Plant Properties, Leaf Properties and Seed Properties.  Under Plant Properties (which is the part you're having problems with) you can see that it's neither edible nor cookable.  It doesn't specifically say it, but they're also not millable or processable.  So as is, the items you're seeing - Bitter Vetch - as opposed to Bitter Vetch Leaves - are worthless and if they're bothering you then get them to a refuse pile where they will rot away.

Now, a more complex solution to your problem is to mod the raw.  Bitter Vetch is located in the plant_crops.txt file in your fortress save file.  I don't remember the specific entry for being able to mill them or process them, but I'm sure you are plenty capable of the research to find out if you want to go that route.  If you're really into gardening then it might be worth learning how anyway, so that you can generate seeds by milling or threshing for some of the  more difficult plants.

Hope that helps clear it up.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2017, 11:42:43 am »

I meant to compare last night, but I suspect that Bitter Vetch and Quarry Bushes should behave similarly as they both produce leaves and seeds.  It sounds to me like Bitter Vetch is missing whatever tag is needed to make it Processable to (b)ags.

Actually looking at the raws on the wiki, this tag is on QB's, but not BV:

[ITEM_REACTION_PRODUCT:BAG_ITEM:PLANT_GROWTH:LEAVES:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:LEAF]
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2017, 12:45:21 pm »

Thanks for finding that, I was going to look it up anyway because I happened to have seven Bitter Vetch hanging around my fortress.  I just copied the line and added it to the Bitter Vetch raw, restarted the game and a thresher went to work on them.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2017, 10:36:36 am »

Can confirm Bitter Vetch (and Red Spinach) are being gathered as the useless whole plants, not the leaves, in 43.05 Win 64-bit.
Pages: 1 [2]