Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 36

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 26: Very Worstestest Things (Done)  (Read 39955 times)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 26: Very Worstestest Things (sub needed)
« Reply #405 on: May 08, 2017, 06:46:03 am »

Do I get some sort of price for being really annoying to kill? I work hard to be "really not worth it" this game.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: May 08, 2017, 10:06:08 am »

Speaking for myself, a lot of why I can't kill you comes down to magic paths. As you've seen time and again, I have a spectacularly bad set of spells available to me to deal with the particular obnoxiousness that you're pursuing, and there's no way to deal with it except spells, so...

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: May 08, 2017, 06:11:45 pm »

I don't think "Banishment" is a very exclusive spell, seeing how all I (can) use are undead chaff and up-keep free undead kings.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 26: Very Worstestest Things (in progress)
« Reply #408 on: May 08, 2017, 07:03:18 pm »

Banishment doesn't scale up fast enough nor with sufficient range to deal with your "back row spitting out 15-25 longdead every turn for 50 turns (plus 20-40 vinemen at the start)" tactics. It works well when you make the mistake of only deploying 5 or 8 skellispammers, but 2-3x that many pushes into critical mass - and Banishment will perforce target masses of HP rather than the sources of the problem. Same (but worse) with Cleansing Water or Wither Bones. I need something like Firestorm, Acid Storm, Earthquake, RoS, or Wrathful Skies, and of those the last is the only I come near being able to deploy (but only near). Perhaps Devouring Swarm or Howl, but that's another path I lack. And ofc Soul Slay or mindblasters would shred you, but those are yet more options outside my grasp.

It's frustrating, because there's a lot of ways in which what I've been beating my head into for the last 30 turns or so is a disproportionately vulnerable and expensive setup - but at the same time, most every soft counter I have available is easily mitigated, and the hard counters are path-locked to my nation.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: May 11, 2017, 11:47:24 am »

I'm setting myself to AI. Don't think I'll be able to do much anymore plus I had two stales in a row. Still was my longest Dominions round ever without being eliminated, so that's a win!
Thanks for the game guys and sorry for the amount of stales

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: May 11, 2017, 08:16:44 pm »

I'm setting myself to AI. Don't think I'll be able to do much anymore plus I had two stales in a row. Still was my longest Dominions round ever without being eliminated, so that's a win!
Curious - where were all of your mages? All I ever saw were drake knights and captains.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: May 12, 2017, 03:48:36 am »

Aha Tzicapan joins the party, at least I have the honor of being assaulted by half the players in the game (If Thespinth breaks its contract again, I can even add " at the same time "). I'm gonna fold and give everything to our new green overlords without resistance.

PS: Your standing on a disease site.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: May 12, 2017, 10:29:38 am »

Curious - where were all of your mages? All I ever saw were drake knights and captains.

I noticed during some AI games that my mages were pretty expensive and weak, so I decided to try a non-magic nation with some research going to construction. Works well until someone starts using magic :P

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: May 12, 2017, 11:07:59 pm »

Hmm, interesting choice... although I'm not sure I'd agree with your conclusions. Your Masters of the Starfire Truth have great communion possibilities with both astral and blood, in addition to good paths for blood summoning.

I'd say the only major problem is that if you decide to really pursue blood you don't have any really good blood hunters - you've either got to use Masters (at a staggering 280 gold each), or you're counting on the 25% + 2.5% chance of a Blood Consort (who are also expensive at 175 gold.)

I really love reanimate archers, which you can cast with the 27.5% of your Vampiric Consorts or Masters who happen to get additional Death paths.

You also have easy access to Magma Bolts and Magma Eruption, which are strong evocations.

I mean, don't get me wrong, your drake knights are pretty awesome units... right up until someone decides to bring something with fire resistance against them - it's just not sustainable into the mid-late game. I would've started with them, since they'd certainly take care of any indies without a second thought, but would've looked towards blood and/or communions.

Edit: Hey - it looks like everyone who's left hasn't had a stale in the last 5 turns - we might actually have some turns that take less than the max turn time!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 07:18:22 pm by AlStar »

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: May 16, 2017, 08:56:21 am »

Eh, we try.

So how is the rest of the world doing? Any nations even bigger then E. Albright around?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: May 16, 2017, 09:07:54 am »

All of them. Seriously, I'm tiny. You and I are about the same size, and about the same global significance. I.e., none. We've spent the game fighting a petty, meaningless war over a ruined wasteland while everyone else fights over the actual world.

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #416 on: May 16, 2017, 11:32:50 am »

Fucking frogs man. I forget who you are to my east but my money is on them for conquering the surface world

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: May 16, 2017, 08:31:09 pm »

Empty's blob of 400 shamblers my scouts saw a turn or two ago did look pretty unpleasant, even if I account for potential scout report inflation.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: May 19, 2017, 02:37:38 am »

I don't get why you guys keep marching at me when there are perfectly empty thrones with 50 indi-militia defending it in your own territory, I do nothing but spam earthquake at any army bigger then 50 guys and undead at any smaller then 50.

Someone tried to capture a castle with nothing but 200 Archers and 0 melee guys. It didn't work.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: May 19, 2017, 07:21:35 am »

(re: earthquakes) That'll work... at least till someone brings along an army that flies (or floats, although I think only a handful of units do that.)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 07:23:29 am by AlStar »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 36