Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 26: Very Worstestest Things (Done)  (Read 39939 times)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 26: Very Worstestest Things (in progress)
« Reply #510 on: August 01, 2017, 11:22:01 am »

I think cause it lost its eye first and then the other things happend.

It's real strong thou...

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: August 01, 2017, 11:54:36 am »

I think cause it lost its eye first and then the other things happend.

It's real strong thou...
You could do worse for a mini-thug. Just equip it with whatever junk you've accumulated over ~90 turns and turn it loose. Who knows - it might even get some kills.

Edit: I won the battle I thought I'd lose, and lost the one I thought I'd win.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 09:31:04 pm by AlStar »

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: August 02, 2017, 03:48:49 am »

Well I can save the cost of a helmet for him at least... ; )

I really could have saved the darkness cast vs your pale ones, but hey whatever.

You certainly only lost by moral damage, I assume you where low on gems since really no battlefield-spells showed up? It's easy to underestimate the skull-talisman army, as it seems small at first.

___

On that note, the thrones I control will both fall very soon (157) and (107), so someone better retake something else.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 03:56:23 am by ThtblovesDF »

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: August 02, 2017, 01:42:39 pm »

I underestimated how much chaff you'd have blocking the gate - those 60-odd weakling little ghosts of yours did a commendable job keeping me bottled up while you back-filled with skeletons.

I'd assumed that my three SCs (with backup from my mages) would be able to handle the skeletons as they came; but it turned out... not so much. My Queen of Water was killing half a dozen a turn and was making no progress; one of my demon lords was slowly overwhelmed and killed; and the other (the one I had a lot of hope for) never made it through the gate! (and, worse, the monsters from his wondrous artifact all turned tail and fled upon spawning, due to your fear spell.)

That final bit was actually the biggest problem - I assumed that I could count on quality overcoming quantity - I've seen elephants and three-headed dragons come out of that box! Which does not even a little bit of good when they never actually fight.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: August 02, 2017, 03:51:44 pm »

Yeah the last 50ish turns where just endless skeletons failing at killing even one -non-sc- titan. The same attack again would kill me, as would any minor variation of that same fight - quite intresting however : )

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: August 02, 2017, 04:48:43 pm »

Ha, serves me right for waffling about casting Ritual of Returning for T'ker.

So you're at least back to 15 points after that last turn, assuming I don't get it back immediately.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: August 05, 2017, 10:14:00 pm »

Nearly managed to take the fort, even with that BS attack that caused my mages to rain down unholy hell on that single commander of yours (killing rather a lot of themselves in the process.)

On the plus side, it looks like it might not matter. I'm not going to win next turn, but (barring any more hiccups) I should have this done in 2.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: August 06, 2017, 12:15:55 pm »

Context:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well, when you get the throne win, I can say I really tried to stop you and you can be certain you earned it.

My caster had "Earth Power, Iron Bane, Retreat"
but due to unlucky AI, AlStar's units cast Falling stones (perfect to kill my undead commanders) and nuked there own army (x2)

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: August 07, 2017, 04:45:14 pm »

I  haven't been able to get home since the weekend. So could I get an extension for a day?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: August 07, 2017, 06:27:17 pm »

Sure. Last minute (well, when I saw it), but there's still a good half-hour to spare.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: August 08, 2017, 08:07:35 pm »

While saddened that the storming of Talito didn't pan out (although the pre-battle was good fun!) I'm 99% sure that that should do it.

Prove me wrong!

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: August 08, 2017, 08:28:11 pm »

I'm personally disappointed the pre-pre-battle was not as much fun as I'd hoped, but there was only a 1/4 chance of maggoty mischief making the pre-battle significantly less lopsided. Alas.

I'm also disappointed that in the early pre-battle the ponies turned back to fight the locusts on the very turn they could have reached your 15hp pretender. And how long she managed to keep dodging near-miss Cleansing Water spouts at 1hp during the storming. Say law vee, je suppose...
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 08:35:00 pm by E. Albright »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: August 09, 2017, 03:29:51 pm »

Which throne provinces fell to Kathan, BTW? Talito did not. The Sodden Mirk did. Any others in play?

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: August 11, 2017, 07:14:32 am »

And in the end, all it took was shoving all my +Nature items into the hands of one of my mages, turning 50 astral pearls into nature gems and casting Living Castle just before one of my throne sites was overrun.

Good game all!

Shout-out goes to one of my Kings of Fire, who submitted to astral magic enhancement and wearing that stupid-looking astral beanie in order to forge the +Holy artifacts so I didn't need to rely on Bishop Fish to capture the last throne I needed.

Edit: Overall, I'd sat that Kathan won due to a combination of being ignored until it was too late and sheer averageness. Our mages weren't really exceptional in any one path, and their mix of Air/Water/Earth/Nature, while providing for an amazing diversity of support spells, lacked any really good battlefield punch (with the possible exception of Rain of Stones, which I probably should've used more than I did.) Our troops were cheap and had decent HP and okay armor. One-on-one, they were pretty much universally unable to stand against anything that the rest of you fought with, but my capital was able to build 25 of them a turn, and most of my other fortresses could build between 10-20 of them a turn.

Although we weren't a blood nation, we did have a single hero that started with 2B, and one of our cap-circle provinces had a slave market. That was enough to start slowly trickling out Demon Knights, which would serve me well, especially against the flamethrower cavalry of my subterranean neighbor. Eventually we got enough 10% blood Camazotz that we had enough slaves to start calling in bigger things, but for the first 3/4s of the game it was pretty much just that one hero (and later a blood-enhanced mage) casting Demon Knights on repeat.

I'd designed my pretender to take advantage of one of my scaling national spells, planning on having masses of Shard Wights to help my armies. Unfortunately, even with Camazotz searching far and wide, we never really had enough death gem income to take full advantage (although I had some fun getting 40 or 50 longdead horsemen per cast of the Pale Riders spell, and much, much later, playing with tartarians.)

But yeah, mostly I attribute my win to the fact that none of you overworlders seemed to notice or care that I took over the entire underground, at which point I had a massive economy and a solid defensive position to work from.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 10:59:23 am by AlStar »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: August 11, 2017, 11:41:43 am »

Enh, I knew you were getting big, but as long as I was at war with the skellispammers next door, there was nothing I could do to anyone else. That was a war neither of us were in a good position to win; if we hadn't been neighbors things would have been much more chaotic.

You definitely did benefit from me loyally securing two of your borders for most of the game, though.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36