Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: From Iron to Steel: A survey of v0.43.05 combat [Long] *VERSION UPDATE*  (Read 17852 times)

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
Re: From Iron to Steel: A survey of v0.43.05 combat [Long] *VERSION UPDATE*
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2017, 11:58:55 pm »

Would love to see the silver and copper hammer results and if they're a "superior material" against inorganics, or if that's just a no-go fight for that weapon type.

The wrestler idea above come to mind as well, mostly for the removal of goblin helmets. As a question, would dogs or trained wardogs remove helmets (considering their zombie-like combat potential against armour), or is it a has-hands thing? I'm worried that a shielded wrestler will mostly shield bash, while an unshielded one is just too vulnerable. Not that dogs aren't, but they're certainly more replaceable than dwarves (and unfortunately more raisable by necros due to the ease of kills).

So removing armour, a hands thing, intelligence thing, or what?
It's a game. Have fun.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2017, 03:11:35 am »

Helmet removal is supposed to be an intelligence thing (so undead should not do it, for instance, nor should giant cave spiders), but it also ought to require hands or or other suitable appendages (elephant trunks, or octopus tentacles, for instance).

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2017, 03:52:54 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=140544.msg7073586#msg7073586
Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: Witty
What are the requirements for an opponent to remove helmets? Does the creature in question need to be intelligent, or can large predators remove helmets as well?
I guess people know better than I do how it actually worked.  It was supposed to be a free grasp + intelligent, but I've seen non-intelligent creature doing lots of wrestling through the years.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

fragfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2017, 08:36:14 am »

Please excuse the long silence, I've had other things on my mind. It's great to sea that this hasn't totally submerged by now.

Anyhow, the results for silver war hammers are in. Here is a comparison with iron and steel. I might extend that table to cover a cheaper material next, it'd be kind of interesting.

Squad Performance:

Squad/Enemy   Goblin Pikemen   Goblin Macemen   Goblin Swordmen   Goblin Lashers   Undead and Necro   Bronze Colossus   Iron Men   
Iron Hammers8.8[0.9] (20)5.3[3.6] (15)6.2[2.9] (18)4.5[3.8] (12)0 (0)0 (0)0 (0)
Steel Hammers8.5[1.3] (20)6.1[2.9] (17)8.1[1.6] (20)7.3[2.1] (19)0 (0)0 (0)0 (0)
Silver Hammers8.9[0.9] (20)6.7[2.9] (18)7.1[2.4] (20)7.8[1.5] (20)0 (0)0 (0)0 (0)

For the weapon efficiency (minor/major/severe/fatal injuries), I could give the tables, but they'd be really boring. The differences are at most 1%, usually far less, with a standard deviation of at least twice the difference.
In other words, the differences are all well within error.

The conclusion for me is that there's not a large difference between silver and steel in effectiveness - but steel is highly valuable for any other combat gear, and silver is usually plenty, so silver war hammers are much more economical.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2017, 01:30:24 am »

Not sure cheaper material has a point with so small differences. Still, thanks for running that.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2017, 11:04:29 am »

The conclusion for me is that there's not a large difference between silver and steel in effectiveness - but steel is highly valuable for any other combat gear, and silver is usually plenty, so silver war hammers are much more economical.

I'm glad to see this, because I usually start out with silver hammers.  I often have nothing but tetrahedrite and that means lots of silver.  Copper would be interesting too because that's an even trashier metal.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]