Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Specialized Clowns  (Read 501 times)

Killitwithfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Specialized Clowns
« on: January 11, 2017, 02:29:24 pm »

Basically what it says on the tin. Rather than having all the Clowns in the Circus be completely random physically and mentally more or less the same, maybe have them embody various vices (as is traditional)? For example, one kind might offer to vampirize a sufficiently powerful dwarf, and their appearance would be something that would be obviously potent (i.e. draconic and no shorter than twenty feet at the shoulder), while another might lure away dwarves with the promise of treasure and resemble a malformed Kea, that sort of thing.

Of course, as long as there's still a "tear-off-your-face-and-eat-it-in-front-of-you" subtype, this isn't going to make Circus visits any easier to deal with, but if an individual was encountered, it'd be that much more interesting.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Specialized Clowns
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 05:04:13 am »

I'd like to see more specialized generated creatures in general.  Right now they are very gamey creatures intended for simple purposes, to be an enemy for the player, but I would like to see things like

Mephistopheles type bargaining demons that let you sell your soul for power
Baba yaga-esque night creatures that you can talk to and that might grant you a boon if they like you
Titans that are explicitly protectors of nature and that will leave you alone if you don't damage the environment

A lot of this would require a more elaborate magic system to be really interesting, so maybe we'll see some of i9in the upcoming update.