Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unretire Fortress = "hostile" scholars/merchants  (Read 1364 times)

Strato1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unretire Fortress = "hostile" scholars/merchants
« on: January 11, 2017, 06:36:44 pm »

I just unretired a fort.  On the units list, I can now see that there are about 110-120 human/elven merchants and human\dwarven scholars that weren't there when I left my fort.  All the merchants (and their pack animals) are listed as hostile.  About 4/5 of the scholars are listed as hostile, the rest listed as guests.  None of them are attacking my dwarves, and many aren't even moving, for that matter.  Also, there are a couple of human lady consorts, as well (also hostile).

That last detail leads me to think that (maybe) a human civ tried to claim my fort while I was gone?

EDIT: Also, every single camel on the map is tame, now...?  And carrying items to stockpiles for me?

How do I fix this mess?  None of them are supposed to be here, and they're destroying my fps.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 06:44:30 pm by Strato1 »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Unretire Fortress = "hostile" scholars/merchants
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 02:16:54 am »

You sure the camels are carrying items to stockpiles instead of just hauling them around? Camels can be merchant pack animals, I think.

You can cage trap the hostile ones. Or just load up a minecart with 5 rocks and push it into them repeatedly. Or build a box and drown them.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 04:29:14 am »

Yes.  All visitors to your fortress are randomly distributed and then marked hostile, even though they are not hostile.  You will discover if you look in lengends mode that the extra ones that weren't there visited while the fortress was retired.

There are 2 solutions that I know of.  1. Kill them all.  2. Put cage traps around and wait for them to walk into the cage traps (they do walk around a bit).  Incidentally, once they are in a cage, you can pasture them, so you can potentially use them as seige fodder (which is what I've been doing).

I *really* should submit a bug report.  Feel free to beat me to it ;-)

Strato1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 11:20:59 pm »

As for the camels, I suppose they probably are just pack animals...

I *really* should submit a bug report.  Feel free to beat me to it ;-)

I think I'll just leave you that honor.  :D

However, I actually have found several issues like this in the bug tracker.  Here's one example (although it is listed as fixed in 0.42.04, but reopened): http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9176

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 12:01:03 am »

As you said, I looked and there are a couple of bugs already that the describe the problem(s).  There is one that describes this issue exactly. Unfortunately it is marked "needs feedback", but appears to have been ignored since then (there is a *lot* of feedback in the thread).  It seems to be set as a very low priority, so I suspect it's not getting fixed soon :-(  The bug was originally reported in 2015, so it's been around for a while.

On the plus side, there seems to be no repercussions for killing everyone, so you can use it as live training.  Or you can RP it in a variety of ways.  Also, even though the excess merchants seems to involve scuttling the caravan, it does not seem to lead to the missing caravan bug.  Caravans and migrants continue to show up as normal (as least it does for me).  So basically the major downside is the elimination of some historical figures (as well as possible casualties on your side) if you decide to "clean up".  Probably this could be fixed fairly easily with a DFHack script, but I don't use DFHack, so I can't do that.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 01:46:14 pm »

As you said, I looked and there are a couple of bugs already that the describe the problem(s).  There is one that describes this issue exactly. Unfortunately it is marked "needs feedback", but appears to have been ignored since then (there is a *lot* of feedback in the thread).  It seems to be set as a very low priority, so I suspect it's not getting fixed soon :-(  The bug was originally reported in 2015, so it's been around for a while.

The bug tracker only automatically updates "needs feedback" status when the original reporter responds; otherwise the issue must be manually updated by a manager. If you want a manager to review a specific bug report you'd have much better luck if you specified which report it is.

Also, the "priority" field on the tracker is irrelevant; bugs are addressed in the order of Toady's choice.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 07:00:46 pm »

That's good to know.  The one I was looking at was http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9176 and, it seems that some people have been looking at it, so now it is acknowledged.  Thanks!