Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Arch Linux text print mode help  (Read 1478 times)

hoodedfiber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Arch Linux text print mode help
« on: January 12, 2017, 02:30:58 am »

About a day or two ago, I set out to run df in Arch Linux without any gui (xorg, cinnamon, etc). I have gotten the game to run, but many of the characters are missing ie, when the intro runs and the little wagon travels across the screen, there is no smiley dwarf pulling it. After spending the large portion of today trying to figure out how to fix this, I'm at my wits end. I've already tried switching the console fonts to many different options, but it just ends up making it even more of a garbled mess when actually playing the game. Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 02:36:44 am by hoodedfiber »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Arch Linux text print mode help
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 04:38:59 am »

Try setting up locales.

Your user account might not have a default locale properly set up, so it is not calling the correct unicode code pages.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/locale

hoodedfiber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 11:04:35 am »

Try setting up locales.

Your user account might not have a default locale properly set up, so it is not calling the correct unicode code pages.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/locale
I already have en_us.UTF-8 set up, Is there another one that works better with df?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 04:26:45 pm »

Hmmm, I only messed with text mode briefly, maybe the window/tiling manager you're using doesn't have the same ones KDE does?

hoodedfiber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 05:20:01 pm »

Hmmm, I only messed with text mode briefly, maybe the window/tiling manager you're using doesn't have the same ones KDE does?
No gui, no manager.

hoodedfiber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 08:37:20 pm »

if you dont know of a fix, but know whats causing it, please tell me because i cant figure it out.

P.S: I got df working in the ubuntu console just fine, so I know that playing the game in tact in the console is possible.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 08:48:12 pm »

Just tested in in tty5 and konsole, worked fine both times, sounds like you're missing a locale or something?

hoodedfiber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 12:23:16 pm »

Just tested in in tty5 and konsole, worked fine both times, sounds like you're missing a locale or something?

According to the character tables, neither the utf-8 or iso-8859-1 have the necessary characters, what locale are you using?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 06:50:07 pm »

Hmmm.

hoodedfiber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 07:46:14 pm »

alright, so, apparently writing LANG=en_US.UTF-8 in /etc/locale.conf doesn't set the locale, but running localectl set-locale LANG=en_US.UTF-8 does...

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Locale is it just me or does it say that adding LANG=en_US.UTF-8 would set the locale?

I feel like an idiot, thanks for the help.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 09:24:44 pm »

Hell, that's a pretty understandable problem, if I wasn't used to using the somethingctl set-something commands I'd never think of trying them right off.

The link does look like it needs the locale-gen command run though.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2017, 10:31:46 pm »

If the locale files for supporting a selected locale are not present, then locales cannot function correctly. Just setting the locale in the conf file just tells it which set of files to look for, it does not generate the needed support.

That is why you need to run the generation command as well.

Really, it SHOULD have been run when the system was installed-- but I have seen it more than once where it was not, for mysterious and probably unknowable reasons.

Re-running it wont hurt anything, and will ensure that the needed files for locales are present.

hoodedfiber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2017, 11:01:45 pm »

well, I've got it finally working, thanks for the help!