Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Game crashing when rolling over to the next day  (Read 1926 times)

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Game crashing when rolling over to the next day
« on: January 12, 2017, 01:41:57 pm »

The current date in my game is 100-09-08, and it crashes when trying to go to 100-09-09. I've tried using DFhack's calendar speed hacks to see if the problem was due to the date switch coinciding with some other event that when combined caused the problem, but that's not the case. Setting it to 1/8th just gives me a little more time before the crash happens, setting it to 8x speed makes the crash happen almost instantly.

This is the error log:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It appears to be something to do with random werebeasts but I have no idea how that's causing an error on a specific day in game.
I've played a guitar with my penis.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Game crashing when rolling over to the next day
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 02:25:54 pm »

For better information.  Delete the Error Log after opening the save file, prior to unpausing before the crash.

Also uploading an actual save file for everyone to poke around at, is more beneficial... I really don't think a raw error is causing the crash.  I think those errors appeared long before the crash occurs.  The actual crash is something on the map.  Timing is around the time frame when migrants arrive on the 9th of the 8th month (migrant months are 2,5,8,11; trader months are 1,4,7,10). and could mean you will never be able to move past that point because your future migrant wave is already saved to the file ready to be generated to the map on the 9th. 

another suggestion besides speeding up and slowing down time.  have you tried to step through time (.:one-step) and keep an eye on your announcements for job suspensions, cancellations and migrant waves...investigate those and check your other list on the unit screen, that's all I can suggest at this point without a save file.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 02:33:44 pm »

When I delete the error log like you mentioned I get only this:

Code: [Select]
Unit has misaligned bp modifiers.  Adjusting.
Unit has misaligned body modifiers.  Adjusting.

I checked the announcements, and there's nothing popping up right before the crash. As for migrant waves, I've gotten two so far and started with 10 dorfs.

And here's the save: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8mxdepo2ssmjpnx/save.7z?dl=0
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 03:59:02 pm by C4lv1n »

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 03:49:19 pm »

that was just a folder, not the whole save.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 12:05:36 am »

I made it to 9-9..... killed everything but the moody dwarf and the liason.... give me a little bit and I'll reload and kill dwarfs 1 by 1...

Its not the mammoths...
its not the magma crabs...
Its not the badgerdogs...
Its not the cats... or the bat... or the cavy...
its not the alpacas...
its not the turtles...
its not the ruin...
its not the horse...
its not the underdog...
Its not the moody dwarf...
Its not the liason...
that leaves 24 other suspects....  so I divided them in half 12 and 12...

first run 3 miners, 3 kids, bowyer, carpenter, wood cutter, engraver, mason, and blacksmith...and it made it to 9-9, so its one of them...

split that group in half 6 and 6...
first run 3 miners, 3 kids... and it made it to 9-9, so its one of them...

split the group in half again 3 and 3
first run 3 miners...because I hate it to be the kids...but it crashed...
second run the 3 kids...and it crashed... so whats going on with these 6 together.... whats the connection... I killed all 6 again to see if it corrected the problem....again no crash which means its more then 1 its at least 2... 1 miner and 1 child...

Did you get attacked by multiple were beasts?  I reloaded the game and 1 child, Mivolokemran was at edge of map hanging out, playing with the blacksmith and the soapist both with no job... rather odd... that's what a werebeast transformation attack appears before it kills or attempts to infect its targets...

so i chose him and all 3 of the miners... crash... so one of the other 2 kids is possibly the problem too...so I'm at a loss.  cause I know it has to be at least 2 a kid and a miner so lets make chart:

run:1234567
Child 1:OODDDDD
Child 2:OxODDDD
Child 3:xxxODDD
Miner 1:XxxxODD
Miner 2:XxxxxOD
Miner 3:XxxxxxO
Crash:YYYYYYY
O = left alive
X = killed
D = has to be DEAD no matter what...
which means its all 6.... which makes no sense... so I tried something crazy.... I restarted and killed 6 more... outside the original 12...

and no crash....  You have a messed up embark location that for some reason on the 9 - 9 does not like you having 20+ dwarfs... and I don't know why it has that issue... there's nothing about 20+ dwarfs that should be an issue... your the only one with this issue... so I'm at a loss for words... and I wasted several hours to do this.

also everytime I kill at least 6 dwarfs it doesn't crash and it doesn't give the bp/body misalignment errors... which I have no clue what that means... 
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 10:05:26 am »

Damn, I guess I just need to gen a new world. Thanks for all the help though. There's no way I would have found that.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 02:19:16 pm »

sorry I was really hoping it was a werewolf kid....  I mean I spent 3 hours digging around in there.  I only started killing characters because of the odd BP misalign report and the fact you mentioned werewolves... I thought you might have had a messed up were kid trying to transform and kill... I checked your raws also and didn't see nothing wrong in the raw themselves for any of those... so I'm assuming the world gen F'd up those werewolf curses and transformations as it moved its hooks into the save file.  I don't know anyway of editing a save file (compressed or not).  really I play until FPS death, Boredom death, Fort Wipe, unfixable game crash, or HFS destruction.  usually have 2 to 4 of those combined... I try to retire/abandon and embark near the previous location on the map... it doesn't always let you...
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group