Ava
Seaiga
Wynne
Quetzalxochitl
Lian
Sybil
Foreman

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 78

Author Topic: Fire Emblem on Forums: Magi Wars (12/12) Actually Alive!  (Read 59702 times)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem on Forums: Magi Wars (12/12) Welcome to Thracia Hell
« Reply #825 on: April 28, 2017, 02:21:12 pm »

By intentionally playing the pronoun game in her own thoughts, Wynne leaves the reader questioning whether she is referring to Queen Quetz, or to herself in pseudo-third person
Black lives matter.

I_Like_Pi

• Bay Watcher
  • The way of Pi
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: April 30, 2017, 11:05:53 am »

What the heck is Brady saying Shoruke? Is he blaming Sybil for a lack of military presence?
My Fire Emblem on Forums: Magi Wars OOC | IC
Magi Wars sidestory: Rotting Empire OOC | IC

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: April 30, 2017, 12:42:37 pm »

No, more like...

ATTENTION PEASANTS! I WILL BE PAYING LARGE AMOUNTS OF MONEY TO TRANSPORT GOODS TO AND FROM MY HOUSE, WHICH IS AT THIS LOCATION!
the Military: You have fun with that, we're just gonna... inconspicuously dibs out. Nothing personal, we're just, uh, busy.
Don't worry guys, we won't find any bandits in Banditland after putting an ad out that we'll be transporting valuables through this area.
KILL 'EM ALL AND TAKE THEIR STUFF BOYS
Gosh golly gee that sure is a surprise amirite? I mean I knew this was Banditland, but I sure didn't expect bandits here
You understand how this situation smells a bit off.

Dammit, if only we'd had some information about what we're transporting, or at the very least who would want it.
Did you mean to say, "if only we had any information at all"?
See, I have that information, I'm just not telling you.
But we almost died, I just want some infor-
No, he's serious.
You understand this sounds slightly suspicious.

Haha hey guys, remember that time we almost died trying to just get to Sybil's house for a public job application because she conveniently forgot to not try and kill us?
Yeah, the benefits package with this job is amazing. I really like how our employer shows she really cares about our health and well-being.
You understand how this situation would come off as mildly off-putting?

You understand how this whole thing might come off as slightly suspicious!?
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: April 30, 2017, 12:51:13 pm »

I mean if you aren't up for getting scammed that's your business
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: April 30, 2017, 12:52:13 pm »

I mean its a risk that Eric, a man who values money very highly, is prepared to take.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: April 30, 2017, 12:52:24 pm »

To be fair, you should keep in mind you do actually have to be hired to participate in the game :P

Also: If you're being paid that much than some kind of danger is just implied.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: April 30, 2017, 12:53:41 pm »

To be fair, you should keep in mind you do actually have to be hired to participate in the game :P

Yeah this is pretty much the most important part.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: April 30, 2017, 12:55:21 pm »

>Caius
>Not complaining about almost getting killed because your employer forgot to turn off her murderbots first
>Dale says that instead

0/10

Jk, that's actually... very good. I appreciate the effort you put into it.

[fake edit] You assume Shoruke doesn't intend for Brady to get hired and subsequently permanently join the party. This is probably false.
Black lives matter.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: April 30, 2017, 12:59:19 pm »

Yeah this is pretty much the most important part.
Yeah, but I'm trying to RP on the way to getting hired.

Brady, as a professional deliveryman, has almost certainly run into scams and bullshit contracts before, and would like some indication that Sybil is good on her word and acting in good faith.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: April 30, 2017, 01:04:59 pm »

Well no, I don't assume that Shoruke doesn't intend to get hired, I just don't... Get this approach personally?

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: April 30, 2017, 01:06:39 pm »

Iunno. Given that I'm not intelligent creative enough to do it myself, I think it's pretty cool.
Black lives matter.

I_Like_Pi

• Bay Watcher
  • The way of Pi
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: April 30, 2017, 01:11:24 pm »

No, more like...

ATTENTION PEASANTS! I WILL BE PAYING LARGE AMOUNTS OF MONEY TO TRANSPORT GOODS TO AND FROM MY HOUSE, WHICH IS AT THIS LOCATION!
Except the ad says nothing about that. It's literally just "come to this location and get employed to move my stuff if the magic ban gets reinstated". The jobs they perform once hired are confidential.
the Military: You have fun with that, we're just gonna... inconspicuously dibs out. Nothing personal, we're just, uh, busy.
Don't worry guys, we won't find any bandits in Banditland after putting an ad out that we'll be transporting valuables through this area.
KILL 'EM ALL AND TAKE THEIR STUFF BOYS
Gosh golly gee that sure is a surprise amirite? I mean I knew this was Banditland, but I sure didn't expect bandits here
You understand how this situation smells a bit off.

I feel like you're really trying to find something that's not there if you're going so far as to imply that Zephyr set the ambush up/is in on it. Especially since Seaiga is with this particular group. Also, once again, that ad said nothing about transporting anything to Sybil's mansion.

Dammit, if only we'd had some information about what we're transporting, or at the very least who would want it.
Did you mean to say, "if only we had any information at all"?
See, I have that information, I'm just not telling you.
But we almost died, I just want some infor-
No, he's serious.
You understand this sounds slightly suspicious.

I'll give you this because it's true :v Except I'm not really sure what you mean by "who wants it". It's been plenty explained in the thread who'd want this to happen.

Haha hey guys, remember that time we almost died trying to just get to Sybil's house for a public job application because she conveniently forgot to not try and kill us?
Yeah, the benefits package with this job is amazing. I really like how our employer shows she really cares about our health and well-being.
You understand how this situation would come off as mildly off-putting?

Except... that literally was the job application?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 01:50:24 pm by I_Like_Pi »
My Fire Emblem on Forums: Magi Wars OOC | IC
Magi Wars sidestory: Rotting Empire OOC | IC

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: April 30, 2017, 01:15:46 pm »

Are they talking about the mud-monsters? Because the mud-monsters would totally work with what they're saying here.
Black lives matter.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: April 30, 2017, 02:11:34 pm »

Well no, I don't assume that Shoruke doesn't intend to get hired, I just don't... Get this approach personally?
Okay, imagine you're at a job interview for a position as an overnight security guard at a restaurant.

During the interview, the interviewer mentions that nobody lasts very long at that position. Since it's a security position, some danger is implied, so you try to clarify whether he means that people get fired or injured / killed by asking what happens to them. The interviewer's expression hardens, and he tells you that if you want to get paid, you need to just knuckle under and deal with it. Sounds legit, right?

Now consider: have you ever beaten a Five Nights at Freddy's game on the first try without a guide?
Some assurance that my employer is trustworthy and I'm not being walked into a death trap with a carrot-and-stick routine, basically for the lols, would be nice.

Except the ad says nothing about that. It's literally just "come to this location and get employed to move my stuff if the magic ban gets reinstated". The jobs they perform once hired are confidential.

I feel like you're really trying to find something that's not there if you're going so far as to imply that Zephyr set the ambush up/is in on it. Especially since Seaiga is with this particular group. Also, once again, that ad said nothing about transporting anything to Sybil's mansion.

Except... that literally was the job application?
"Move my stuff if the magic ban gets implemented" would imply "move my stuff in the area around my house when the magic ban gets implemented". The flavour text at the start of the chapter even mentioned that Sybil's ad was common knowledge and that there was increased bandit activity in the area for that exact reason. And then, holy cow dood, we actually found bandits. In an area known for bandits. After personally increasing local bandit activity. And by going out of our way to take the fast route, at the risk of more bandits. I mean, there's jobs with some inherent risk, and then there's going out of one's way to find unnecessary trouble, you know? Not heartening to see a potential employer do the latter.

I'm not trying to imply that the ambush was set up by Sybil's NPC team, just that y'all really should have seen it coming when you found bandits in bandit country. And maybe taken some precautions like sticking to the main road or detouring around bandit country? Or hiring enough guards ahead of time instead of relying on two separate groups of travelers to a) be nearby at the time, b) be badass enough to actually help, and c) actually decide to help for free instead of just leaving? "I mean yeah we're knowingly putting our people in unnecessary danger, but we're doing it out of carelessness rather than malice so it's okay right"? Tell it to the thick carpet of nearly-slain PCs.

And no, the job application actually did not specify that Sybil herself would be attempting to murder us. Danger and fighting are implied, fighting Sybil's golems was not implied. You'd expect a responsible employer to turn off the murderbots when they have a job application posted, or at the very least be explicit that a test of combat will be mandatory.

So, the employer waffles between "failing to not kill you" and "marching you blind into fights", and then gives you the "you don't get paid if you don't shut up and deal with it". Brady's likely heard smugglers give him this line. He's probably almost been arrested for it.
You combine this level of dishonesty with this level of disregard for safety, and... you see where Brady's coming from, wanting some assurance that this job isn't as rotten as it sounds?
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 78