Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Manager job cancellation spam  (Read 1576 times)

Ansgar111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Manager job cancellation spam
« on: January 13, 2017, 02:01:42 pm »

Lately I've been playing around with the new manager tools, but especially with the melt item command I get lots and lots of job cancellation spam.
My job is :
melt item (2) max 1 Workshop
restart if completed, check daily
melt-designated items at least 2

i even set the max workshop to 1, but it always starts the order again even if there are no melt designated items. Where is my fault?
I checked the stocks screen already a couple times to see if there are any forbidden melt-designated items but I didn't find any. Is there a method to search specifically for that?

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Manager job cancellation spam
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 03:01:04 pm »

Melting and automation can be tricky until you reach a higher volume and steady supply of melt stuff.  I handle it by hand until I get it to that point.  You didn't mention this but I never mix melting and bins, headaches lie that way.

Without seeing the exact problem in front of me, I'm going to guess that you're cancelling the job (at the smelter or the job screen) without cancelling the order in the manager screen.  As long as the order is standing it will continue to spawn a job at some legitimate workshop.  The condition for the order only checks once, and doesn't consider that some of the materials may have been used before the order is complete.  I get this pretty frequently with cooking and brewing when some jerk dwarf eats the item after the condition checked but before the job initiated.  Dwarves carrying or moving an item also messes with this, but that shouldn't be relevant to melt designation.

In any case, you're most likely going to need to cancel the order (and remake it) or designate some new things to melt to let it complete.  If it starts again after that and you're sure there's nothing else designated then that's a much bigger problem, possibly even a real bug.

Ansgar111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 06:46:27 pm »

So I did remake it a couple times and then just waited and watched. Turns out that the order already starts with one melt designated item and not the 2 I set it to. I even checked with dfhack for other melt designated items, but there are none. So I guess that is a bug.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 07:34:46 pm »

Good one.  I've noticed that bug too, but never got around to figuring out what it was.  I suppose that means if you always have a job size of 1, that it will work without cancellation.  I'll have to give it a try.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 05:08:28 pm »

I've found it works best if the number of iterations of the job is "n" and  materials available to melted is "n-1".... If there are three meltable items, and and two melting jobs, there is less cancellation spam.

Also, check that one of your military isn't carrying around an aluminium mace designated for melt, or something equally annoying. He might not be willing to let it be taken away, causing cancellation spam.... I had this happen with a copper helm once (we needed the copper for a different project, and there were plenty of nice steel and iron helms for him to choose from, one of which was specifically designated to be used by him). Although the soldier was not in any way designated to keep wearing the damn thing, he refused to let anyone take away from him. Must have been really comfy or something.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!