Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can you domesticate animals that are adults at birth?  (Read 724 times)

Kars

• Bay Watcher
  • registered flex offender
    • View Profile
Can you domesticate animals that are adults at birth?
« on: January 13, 2017, 03:34:38 pm »

I'm trying to breed a huge number of assorted snakes (namely Pit Vipers and Asps) to pen near the gates to my fort so they can bite and poison invaders before engaging my force proper, but I've noticed that the snakes are adults at birth. Considering the fact that snakes seem to breed quickly, they quickly get too out of hand for my one animal trainer to reliably keep under control. So I'm wondering if they can be domesticated, because they skip being babies and just jump right to adult.
🇮🇹 dall'italia con amore🇮🇹

Kars

• Bay Watcher
  • registered flex offender
    • View Profile
Re: Can you domesticate animals that are adults at birth?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 03:47:22 pm »

And while I'm at it may as well ask if there's any benefit to domesticating mossrovas
🇮🇹 dall'italia con amore🇮🇹

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can you domesticate animals that are adults at birth?
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 04:50:29 pm »

Egg-layers lacking [CHILD] tag will be impossible to tame.Bug:7983 You can work around this by adding [CHILD:X][GENERAL_CHILD_NAME:Y:Z] to the raws for that animal. Replace X with years creature is a child, Y with creature child name and Z with the plural version of the name. Example(chicken): [CHILD:1][GENERAL_CHILD_NAME:chick:chicks]

That would have to be done before world gen.

Mossrova raw from creature_zm5_monster.txt by ZM5:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

maybe for vampire fodder... drinking their blood will make you seriously ill....
maybe kidneys for no breathing effect..... I don't think that will help much as the second part is you black out after 10000 ticks... if your adventuring that's one thing.... but if your fortress mode trying to dig a drain for the ocean.... no.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal