Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Playing as a Black Mamba man...  (Read 2556 times)

Sit_Rom.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Playing as a Black Mamba man...
« on: January 14, 2017, 10:20:05 am »

Why do the bite/injection attacks of snake-people seem so ludicrously underpowered?

The DF wiki (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Syndrome) says that all variants of black mamba venom cause complete paralysis and unconsciousness, along with a bunch of other fun symptoms, with a quick onset, yet somehow this turkey that I've been stalking can take 20+ bites worth of Black Mamba man venom without even slowing down...

Do you guys know why this is happening?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 10:22:38 am by Sit_Rom.exe »
"After a while I got fed up and threw my coins at him. The silver coins hit him in the body and shattered his upper spine. I sat there watching him slowly suffocate."

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
Re: Playing as a Black Mamba man...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 11:17:58 am »

It is a turkey king, and as royalty, as been gradually fed increasing doses of black mamba venom ever since childhood in order to raise its immunity to possible assassination attempts?
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 03:41:30 am »

Adventure mode syndromes work 72 times slower than in fortress mode.  This can have some odd effects, the most relevant being that even though that turkey will die from the venom eventually you will have to stalk it for a very long time before it does.

To make combat-relevant syndromes work properly in both modes you can mod their timing for adventure mode (by dividing all their timers by 72) and then add DWF_STRETCH:72 after them to slow down the effect in fort mode so they don't take effect instantly.  However vanilla mode does not do this, so all poisons are broken for adventurers.

Sit_Rom.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 04:52:42 am »

Adventure mode syndromes work 72 times slower than in fortress mode.  This can have some odd effects, the most relevant being that even though that turkey will die from the venom eventually you will have to stalk it for a very long time before it does.

To make combat-relevant syndromes work properly in both modes you can mod their timing for adventure mode (by dividing all their timers by 72) and then add DWF_STRETCH:72 after them to slow down the effect in fort mode so they don't take effect instantly.  However vanilla mode does not do this, so all poisons are broken for adventurers.

I see, well that sounds easy enough to fix...

Thanks for the answer stranger...
"After a while I got fed up and threw my coins at him. The silver coins hit him in the body and shattered his upper spine. I sat there watching him slowly suffocate."