Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Peasant and Forester's Mod for Adv Mode (discontinued)  (Read 47238 times)

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
Re: Peasant and Forester's Mod for 0.44.12 Adventure Mode
« Reply #90 on: August 29, 2018, 07:59:21 pm »

That is something I was going to ask - about overlap with Adventurecraft - before finding this post. But, could this be elaborated on?

A sentence which used to be part of the description to P&F, was it differed from Wanderer and Adventurecraft in that much of it was more civilian profession oriented.

What this means is Wanderer and Adventurercraft would appear to adhere to the classic idea of adventuring: go on quests, slay beasts, and craft things to help you along the way. P&F wants to give the player the option to center their gameplay around noncombat activity and to experience better quality of life.

While you can't ovoid shorthand and abstraction in crafting, the addition of giving each profession tools instead of a workshop, approximates the interactivity weapons and armour have for the martially inclined, and results in a bit more detail to the crafting process.

When it comes to quality of life, you improve it by adding smaller experiences, which in this case would be consumption items like food. It hopefully adds more flavor and color to an Adventure Mode run.

While your adventurer can eat raw meat and found vegetation, living that pure dúnedain Paleolithic/Ketogenic lifestyle where bodyfat %'s are on the single digit border, the hobbit in everyone sometimes needs to carb up and do it with jam.

If someone has tried using this alongside Adventurecraft: How much do they conflict? How difficult might it be to get them to work together?

To integrate two mods, you'd need to look at both and decide if they could be blended together. It's been a while since I'd looked at either Wanderer or Adventurecraft. The last 2 versions of P&F have been a bit unfriendlier when it comes to easy melding due to the food reactions.

(BTW: I am glad that you made your Animal Pack Add-on as a separate add-on/download. Though, I wish you'd be more specific about what it does and what changes it makes. Without knowing what it does, I'm not tempted to use it.)

The animals in the pack add-on vary from having bite/strike/dodge skills at level 3 (competent), level 4 (skilled), or level 6 (talented like a night troll). They don't have a night troll's speed or level 6 melee skill, so they aren't nearly as dangerous. As is mentioned on the first page, the add-on is best for players who do slow travel runs. You can have your level 1 peasant intelligently spy such a critter and avoid it in slow travel, whereas the common fast travel mode of play might have your new character walk over a world map tile and trigger an ambush with a bitey pack of wolves that a level 1 won't be able to handle.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 07, 2018, 04:24:50 pm »

As mentioned on the first page:
09.07.2018 - Bugfixing Minor Update 0.5.1 (does not require new world regen)
09.07.2018 - Some cooking reactions were not depleting reagents, because the amount produced exceeded the container capacity. In this case pots do not like product amounts over 10, despite being able to carry 16 units of water. The result was only one unit of product (flatbreads) and no ember creation. This has been fixed.
09.07.2018 - Bread soup reaction wasn't recognizing BRINE reaction class. Has been fixed.
09.07.2018 - Raw meat and innards may cause illness if not cooked.
09.07.2018 - Included The Easy Start Guide to Cooking.txt

The next update will be likely be small, but require new world gen. Some weapon renames, elves getting 10K low light vision (because this is one of the most significant factors for anyone playing a ranged weapons character), maybe some new critters (half-elf, centaur, etc).

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 09, 2018, 07:23:17 pm »

As mentioned on the first page:
09.09.2018 - Bugfixing Minor Update 0.5.2 (does not require new world regen)
09.09.2018 - Fill container with soopy water reaction was looking for TOOL_USE:LIQUID_CONTAINER, when this token shouldn't have been there >_>. That's been remedied. The only 2 tokens needed provide the requirement that you have an EMPTY, DOES_NOT_ABSORB item.

Still working with bugfixes (requiring no new world gen) to make anyone's existing world more error free. Mostly been splitting time with golem making and providing slightly more detail to some armor/clothesmaking.

Golems and other bestiary will be optional add-ons. Halflings had been packaged with P&F as they only appear as outsider playable. Centaurs are outsider playable, but can be met in the wild. Might do the same with half-elves, which currently exist like halflings.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 21, 2018, 06:17:22 am »

Been working on giving more detail to armor crafting. Before you just went with lump of metal = armor item. But now we have a process by which you'd make mail, scale, plate, etc. And this means it's not as monty haul to repair/resize armor.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Smelting underwent similar overhaul, so there are different returns for how you smelt something. Smelt "any" options have lower rate of return, while the more specific smelt will yield better return in terms of % and # of metal globs.

Maybe looking at a release end of Nov. Since this is new stuff, will require new world gen.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 20, 2018, 04:53:26 pm »

Armor and Smelt Update 0.6.0 (requires new world regen) has been uploaded.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2019, 09:07:51 pm »

01.06.2019 - Bugfixing Minor Update 0.6.1 (does not require new world regen)
01.06.2019 - farmer reaction fix: make soap from rendered animal fat wasn't recognizing lye.
01.06.2019 - stonecrafter reaction fix: chip stone into 10 arrowheads had copy/paste error.
01.06.2019 - removed embers as byproduct of fuel use reactions. didn't benefit simulation as much as it caused issues with liquids.

01.07.2019 - Bugfixing Minor Update 0.6.2 (does not require new world regen)
01.07.2019 - Farmer reaction fix 2nd try: make soap from rendered animal fat wasn't recognizing lye.
01.07.2019 - Cleaning interaction edited to prevent accidental drinking of liquid/powders.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 04:15:01 pm by peasant cretin »

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 11, 2019, 01:02:53 am »

01.11.2019 - Bugfixing Minor Update 0.6.3 (does not require new world regen)
01.11.2019 - Material template edit to innards. Cooking reaction was not recognizing innards as meat. Has been fixed.
01.11.2019 - Weapon set reaction edit. Entry for mauls referred to axes. Has been fixed.
01.11.2019 - Edit to Bonecarver. Bone blowgun entry changed to bows made from horn/antler.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 04:15:12 pm by peasant cretin »

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 16, 2019, 12:47:24 pm »

02.16.2019 - Bugfixing Minor Update 0.6.4 (does not require new world regen)
02.16.2019 - Edit to meat-based foodstuffs cooking reaction. Having hunted a small critter in my adventure mode run, I realized the reaction for dried meat (which helps in cutting encumbrance) should ask for 5 units of meat and not 20.
02.16.2019 - Edit to weapon set grouping reaction. Reactions were not recognizing missile weapon.
02.16.2019 - Edit to natural attack tackle. Removed skill associated so it only trains MELEE_COMBAT (fighter skill) once.
02.16.2019 - Included The Easy Start Guide to Arrows/Bolts.txt
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 04:15:19 pm by peasant cretin »

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 01, 2019, 11:24:37 pm »

03.01.2019 - Weapon Set Cleaning Update 0.7.0 (requires new world regen)
03.01.2019 - Reduced item sprawl and simplified pairings for NPC ranged units. Added ability to un-pair weapon sets.

Weapon sets for bow and xbow users reduced to 4 weapon types: axe (battle), mace, spear, and sword (short). Previously there was a bit of sprawl, with skills assigned to sets as well as pairings.

One of the big Adventure Mode item stash population issues is higher item variety reduces item occurrence. And that posed a problem for when you found a weapon pairing, but only needed one and not both. Now besides being able to pair, you can break a found set apart.

When breaking xbow pairs, all xbow material type is based on the weapon type. If you find a *copper mace/crossbow*, once separated, both will be copper.

Bow pairs will result in same material type melee weapon, but the bow will default to the most common wood type, which is willow.

Downside is qualify and description modifiers will be stripped from the items.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 01:49:01 am by peasant cretin »

pheasant

• Escaped Lunatic
  • [FLYING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 11, 2019, 03:29:34 pm »

Hello peasant cretin. First of all, thank you very much for this mod which helped me live out the adventures of a "do-it-yourself":er in the woods.
I've encountered some important bugs. I did not want to modify your files, and I'm not even sure I'd be able to, so I'll leave you with some feedback and another huge thank you.

```
Bowyer... Arrow and bolt-making.
This doesn't seem to be of utmost importance, but the problem is when you acquire the stacks of different sizes. You will just be stuck with different sized stacks until you've produced all of it in exactly equal amounts. e.g. 10 fletchlings doesn't combine well with 30 arrowheads. Doesn't combine at all.

So my feedback here is that it would be better to revert from using an object with a "hardcoded number": like 5, 10 or 30, to crafting single pieces. Maybe stack them too.

And the bug report: crafting 10 arrows produces 5.
```

```
Armorcrafting and Furnace operator.
Unlimited metals due to labeling craft items (riveted bronze ring) as "tools".
When you produce rings to be used for mail items, these can be smelted to produce virtually unlimited amounts of metal globs. Hello almost full steel armor from one piece of steel!

Missing craft options for certain items.
What is missing: left and right arm harness. Can't be smelted. Stockings can't be smelted either.
```

That's about all the problems I've encountered, besides from being able to use certain tools which shouldn't be possible. Some other areas have been trying to find the right component which it is asking for. A powder e.g. is not always clear what it means. But sawdust or the stonetype "Schist" seem to work while sand isn't.

Thank you for this great addition to adventure mode. Although I believe it is too realistic in some aspects making it... tedious... instead of fun.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 13, 2019, 05:50:41 pm »

Been working on giving more detail to armor crafting. Before you just went with lump of metal = armor item. But now we have a process by which you'd make mail, scale, plate, etc. And this means it's not as monty haul to repair/resize armor.
Smelting underwent similar overhaul, so there are different returns for how you smelt something. Smelt "any" options have lower rate of return, while the more specific smelt will yield better return in terms of % and # of metal globs.
03.01.2019 - Weapon Set Cleaning Update 0.7.0 (requires new world regen)
03.01.2019 - Reduced item sprawl and simplified pairings for NPC ranged units. Added ability to un-pair weapon sets.
One of the big Adventure Mode item stash population issues is higher item variety reduces item occurrence. And that posed a problem for when you found a weapon pairing, but only needed one and not both. Now besides being able to pair, you can break a found set apart.
Downside is qualify and description modifiers will be stripped from the items.

It sounds like P&F makes a whole lot of changes to a variety of different reactions and various items. A question comes to mind:

Generally speaking, do these changes only affect Adventure Mode? Or, alternatively, do these changes tend to affect both Adventure Mode and Fortress Mode?

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2019, 09:06:07 pm »

pheasant, much thanks for the kind words and feedback.

In the current 0.7.1 update, I fixed the issue where crafting 10 arrows/bolts only produced 5 and took your advice, simplifying the arrow/bolt crafting menus.

The unlimited metal exploit is known and acceptable. Weapon pairing/unpairings, as well as the stacking reactions provide the same opportunity to monty haul infinite amounts of desired metal type.

Gloves, mittens, arm harnesses of any type were not included as crafting options as they have a hardcoded left/right tag/token not found in the raws.

Powder is buggy. Still sorting that.

Regarding the tedium of crafting, sadly with P&F there's plenty of clunky "I never want to do that process again stuff". Crafting in most games is just a recipe of steps which never has the depth of combat/questing because there usually aren't (m)any small details to anticipate where you need a finer hand. It's a difficult thing to balance the simulation aspect with the level of (poor) interactivity, but I'm adamantly against log + workshop = shield, log + workshop = bed, bar of metal + workshop = mail shirt, etc. Suggestions, criticisms and whatnot to improve this are def welcome. P&F is still pretty loose and needs steamlining.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 09:10:14 pm by peasant cretin »

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2019, 09:09:36 pm »

Thundercraft, much thanks for the feedback.

In terms of crafting, what affects fortmode are the text files reaction_other and reaction_smelter. These were left largely untouched save for the two ADVENTURE_MODE_ENABLED reactions: helve and "stone" axe making. I relocated helve and "stone" axe crafting to a few P&F specific crafting menus; this wouldn't affect fort. My smelting reactions are restricted to reaction_adv_furnace_operator_advmd. There's no overlap between how you'd smelt in fort or adv.

In terms of item changes, what affects both fort and adv mode are weapon sets (borrowed from Sver). Ranged units in fort mode will end up with a weapon pairing. For example you might craft a marksdorf an iron sword/crossbow combo. What this does is give the NPC an edged weapon attack. Not a thing of concern. Your NPC ranged unit will remain as given to pathing/weap-damage unloading as ever.

Something that might pose issues are changes I made to material_template_default. I added a syndrome to the consumption of meat/innards.
Besides the emotions felt, an NPC may experience either fever/nausea. It's a varied % chance depending on what is being consumed. Generic animal meat has a low %, but some prepared innards will have a higher % chance of fever/nausea. If something is turned into a fortmode stew or roast, then that issue is bypassed.

Adventure Mode-wise, fever/nausea exists to encourage cooking. But for players uninterested in these side effects, they can offload fever/nausea as they would any injury via fast travel/seep/wait/build.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 15, 2019, 09:33:00 pm »

03.15.2019 - Bugfixing Minor Update Update 0.7.1 (does not require new world regen)
03.15.2019 - Arrows/bolt crafting simplified.
03.15.2019 - The Easy Start Guide to Arrows/Bolts edited to reflect change.

More detail on ammo changes. Stripped out bone and stone missilehead crafting from their respective menus. These have been absorbed into arrow & bolt crafting menus.

Going with pheasant's suggestion, bundles of whatnot were dropped. Went with 1s and 10s; all singles.

Woodcrafter still retains wooden missile crafting.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 09:35:12 pm by peasant cretin »

pheasant

• Escaped Lunatic
  • [FLYING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 21, 2019, 03:58:17 am »

03.15.2019 - Bugfixing Minor Update Update 0.7.1 (does not require new world regen)
Hello, just coming back to say what a nice addition with the coins and arrow crafting! Aye, I agree somewhat on your adamant stance. Shouldn't be too simple to craft, especially when the real world process is very intricate and interesting. A very enjoyable aspect for the players interested in roleplaying. Not too easy on the novices which goes hand in hand with the steep learning curve of df overall ;) That said, your mod should already be a part of the game imo.

Oh and sh.. It has created some amazing events, where a group of dwarven soldiers armed with hefts went on a quest to meet a goblin force which never arrived. The preferred weapon of my generated world: the heft held by the non-lethal heftdwarves. To not mention the misc. user dwarves where they insisted on fighting with bags. The homosexual human lasher I found and got to join me kept hitting enemies with coins and kept throwing any gifted iron whips on the ground. It was a grouchy and complaining woman, talking about how her previous wife joined an uprising and created her own faction. Massively dangerous too. And yes, the all so dangerous archer enemies. Even more dangerous when they run out of arrows due to the weapon combinations. Unlike your own ranged companions, which waste fully stocked quivers on the nearest parakeet. Literally until they start climbing to catch that mf bird.

Daggers seemed to be non-existant, as it was replaced by knives. Besides the copper starting dagger. Had lots of fun, and paused the peasant before wrestling a troll with a party of nine highly trained dwarves. And that's where I left off to try Fortress mode for the first time.

I looked into your raw's a bit too to understand the extent your work. I'm impressed!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9