Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Peasant and Forester's Mod for Adv Mode (discontinued)  (Read 47028 times)

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
Peasant and Forester's Mod for Adv Mode (discontinued)
« on: January 14, 2017, 03:56:12 pm »

Peasant and Forester's Mod

Description:
This is a crafting mod for Adventure Mode that replaces workshop requirements with civilian profession-specific tools and adds intermediate stages into the crafting process. There is an emphasis on general quality of life features where consuming cooked food or soap usage will provide good thoughts, and more specific to slow/local travel game-play, providing methods of managing encumbrance, such as being able to dry meat. The whole of the readme.txt is included at the end of this post. If something is unclear, please ask and I'll do my best to respond. All comments and suggestions welcome.

Credits:
This mod owes much of its general framework to both Deon's DF Wanderer and Random_Dragon's Adventurecraft; its coffee and tea structure to Button's post in her topic Brainstorm: Hard Brewing Mod; its thinking on tick changes for polearm speed to Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods; and its ideas on weapon sets for ranged units to Sver's DF Combat Reworked. Belatedly listed here are some of the off-Bay12 sources that P&F learnt from. Archery (bow/crossbow making) drew from a variety of sources. Cooking peeked into A Boke of Gode Cookery, though much of what I added is anachronistic and culturally eclectic. All things woodcutting and shield-making came from Hurstwic. Mail construction came from MyArmoury's Mail: Unchained and article 10 The manufacture of chain-mail – Arne Jouttijδrvi from Erik Schimd's mail article archive.

Feature Highlights:
— Better archer-ranger play: detailed bow/crossbow/missile crafting; missile crafting in the wilds with bone, stone, wood and found metal
— Beverages including various teas, coffees and hot chocolate
— Cooking with grains and flour (porridge and pastries), plants and animals (boil, fry, roast, stew)
— Detailed crafting/repair/resizing reactions for clothing, armor and weapons
— Glass doors and hatches for your camp site
— Interchangeable fuels (any wood item, peat, coal)
— Pottery and glazing
— Shop signs
— Soap making (both plant and animal), and more importantly: soap usage
— Stone logs for building
— Tools for bowyers, clothiers, leatherworkers, masons, metalcrafters, woodcutters and carpenters

Changelog:
01.14.2017 - Initial release 0.1.0
12.20.2018 - Armor and Smelt Update 0.6.0 (requires new world regen)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
01.06.2019 - Bugfixing Minor Update 0.6.1 (does not require new world regen)
01.06.2019 - Farmer reaction fix: make soap from rendered animal fat wasn't recognizing lye.
01.06.2019 - Stonecrafter reaction fix: chip stone into 10 arrowheads had copy/paste error.
01.06.2019 - Removed embers as byproduct of fuel use reactions. didn't benefit simulation as much as it caused issues with liquids.
01.07.2019 - Bugfixing Minor Update 0.6.2 (does not require new world regen)
01.07.2019 - Farmer reaction fix 2nd try: make soap from rendered animal fat wasn't recognizing lye.
01.07.2019 - Cleaning interaction edited to prevent accidental drinking of liquid/powders.
01.11.2019 - Bugfixing Minor Update 0.6.3 (does not require new world regen)
01.11.2019 - Material template edit to innards. Cooking reaction was not recognizing innards as meat. Has been fixed.
01.11.2019 - Weapon set reaction edit. Entry for mauls referred to axes. Has been fixed.
01.11.2019 - Edit to Bonecarver. Bone blowgun entry changed to bows made from horn/antler.
02.16.2019 - Bugfixing Minor Update 0.6.4 (does not require new world regen)
02.16.2019 - Edit to meat-based foodstuffs cooking reaction. Having hunted a small critter in my adventure mode run, I realized the reaction for dried meat (which helps in cutting encumbrance) should ask for 5 units of meat and not 20.
02.16.2019 - Edit to weapon set grouping reaction. Reactions were not recognizing missile weapon.
02.16.2019 - Edit to natural attack tackle. Removed skill associated so it only trains MELEE_COMBAT (fighter skill) once.
02.16.2019 - Included The Easy Start Guide to Arrows/Bolts.txt
03.01.2019 - Weapon Set Cleaning Update 0.7.0 (requires new world regen)
03.01.2019 - Reduced item sprawl and simplified pairings for NPC ranged units. Added ability to un-pair weapon sets. See this post.
03.01.2019 - Whips added back.
03.01.2019 - Flails train mace again.

03.15.2019 - Bugfixing Minor Update Update 0.7.1 (does not require new world regen)
03.15.2019 - Arrows/bolt crafting simplified.
03.15.2019 - The Easy Start Guide to Arrows/Bolts edited to reflect change.

Note: for those who have added files from the Animal Pack and/or the Unusual Critter Pack, be sure to re-add those files to your copied-over objects folder *if the update required no new world gen*.

Download here: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12656
Installation: Drop the objects folder into your raw folder. You'll need to generate a new world to activate the reactions.

Animal Pack for the Peasant and Forester's Mod:
06.24.2018 - Upgraded several animal predator varieties. An interesting addition to the local/slow-travel oriented game. Perhaps less so for the fast-travel game as ambush triggers are based on world map tile. Note: these upgraded animal predators will have a description change forewarning you:
"This one seems different from what you've seen before" = lvl 3-4
"It is terrifying." = lvl 6 giant versions

Download here: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13840
Installation: Drop the 10 txt files into your objects folder. You'll need to generate a new world.

Unusual Critter Pack for the Peasant and Forester's Mod:
12.20.2018 - Added roaming NPC golems (meat, mud, clay, and plant). Noticeable by odor. Melee Skill 3.
12.20.2018 - Added outsider NPC centaurs. Are benign.
12.20.2018 - Added NPC iron bulls. Are megabeasts. Similar to bronze colossus, with no skill levels.
12.20.2018 - Added NPC clockwork seraphs. Are benign. Equivalent to demon in level.

Download here: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14159
Installation: Drop the 7 txt files into your objects folder. You'll need to generate a new world.

Main reactions menu screenshots:

Grain-based foodstuff menu screenshots:

Plant-based foodstuff menu screenshot:

Farmer menu screenshot:

Readme.txt
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 11:26:27 am by peasant cretin »

Borzoi

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:long snouts]
    • View Profile
Re: The Peasant and Forester's Mod for 0.43.05—4x.xx Vanilla Adventure Mode
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 02:16:11 am »

This is great, so far, but I seem to be having trouble getting the game to detect that my rhino bone leatherworker's awl is an awl while trying to make a leather waterskin.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 06:53:28 am »

This is great, so far, but I seem to be having trouble getting the game to detect that my rhino bone leatherworker's awl is an awl while trying to make a leather waterskin.

Thanks!

Just rechecked the raws and the reaction does work. I assumed I had mucked it up.

So when you're making the waterskin, the first thing you get asked for is any sharp tool. I'm guessing(?) you're selecting the leatherworker's awl at that point, and I'm presuming you only have one of those, because now the reaction's taken that out as a choice by step 4 which is where you need it to be recognized as the awl.

First step is sharp tool. Here I'd use a weapon or something like that.
Second step asks for the sewing needle.
Third step for the pincers.
Fourth step, it now asked for the leatherworker's awl. And if you only have one of those, it needs to be unoccupied.

So yeah, that's happened to me too many a few times, in which I'd use the leatherworker's awl by mistake as the first step and then it'd be gone for step 4.

Hope that helps. I mean I think that's what's going on.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 06:57:10 am by peasant cretin »

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 08:10:36 am »

Just uploaded a new zip. Made a quality of life change to the Leatherworker Reaction. I replaced the generic edge tool requirement with shears.

This way the reaction will ask for specific items, eliminating the potential for mix-up. Why I never did this before while I was fully muddled is one of those things.

So just copy over the new files. You won't need to regen your world as I didn't make any significant change.

Borzoi

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:long snouts]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 03:28:27 pm »

Ah, yeah, that was definitely the case. I was selecting the awl rather than the generic starting dagger I had out. Thanks! Looking forward to playing more of this mod

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 02:05:54 am »

Fixed a bug involving clubs (see changelog). It's minor, but might have been fun if your character was a giant, as clubs weighed 70r or so before the fix.

No need to regen the world you're in. Just copy over the files, unless you like 70r clubs.

Made/(remade) a change to subterranean animal peoples. Reverted them back to wooden weapons. Clubs back to 9K size and wood material.

No need to regen the world you're in. Just copy over the files.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 03:06:12 am by peasant cretin »

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 08:28:47 pm »

Posting to watch

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 09:55:52 pm »

Just did a bug fix for the quicklime/soapmaking/parchment reactions. They all suffer from a known Adventure Mode bug where products in containers are not recognized. This was fixed/given a workaround. The Readme.txt has been updated to reflect this change:

1. Crafting Overview:
In Adventure Mode, when crafting, the game only recognized ingredients/items if they are either on the ground (which is the very same tile your character is standing on) or in your hand(s). Some ingredients/items like liquids and powders *must be hand held* in order to be recognized.

A good example of this is soap making. To make soap, you need 3 items: tallow, lye (a liquid), and a bucket. If you just used the Make Lye reaction, that lye is sitting in that very bucket. So to make the game recognize that you actually do have all 3 things, they all need to be on the ground or in your hands. In this case this means putting the bucket on the ground and then taking the lye out of the bucket so it is in your hand.

The Readme.txt was also updated to help people make sense of brewing.
2a. Stacking reactions are buggy:
Stacking works fine for combining individual items, however combining smaller stacks into larger ones requires 1 more item than the number needed. While 4 single items can make exactly a stack of 4, combining a stack of 2 with two additional stray singles, requires yet one more to make the stack of 4. This affects both the Stacking reactions themselves and other reactions like brewing which also suffer from the stacking bug.

New zip uploaded. Just replace your old files. If you notice anything weird or wonky, please post. Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 10:51:54 pm by peasant cretin »

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 07:44:32 pm »

New Version 0.1b.0 zip uploaded. Requires new world gen to activate.

Added a few new things:
-Can find daggers in fortress warehouses/depots, meadhalls and camps, as each entity was given the dagger token.
-Modded in backstrap looms for the traveler who wants weave thread to cloth. I kinda dreaded warp-weighted loom construction as a traveler.
-And lastly but most importantly, expanded bonecarving to allow jewelry to be made from horn and tooth.

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

Master Catfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 12:21:53 pm »

Enjoying this mod quite a bit so far! I'm playing an alligator man who wears bone and leather armor. However, I'd really like to be able to make him a sword fit for his stature, and I can't figure out how to make tongs and a hammer.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 06:20:24 pm »

Enjoying this mod quite a bit so far! I'm playing an alligator man who wears bone and leather armor. However, I'd really like to be able to make him a sword fit for his stature, and I can't figure out how to make tongs and a hammer.

Thanks!

So if you haven't already done so, you'll need to gather 21 rocks to make 21 rock blocks. A rock block is any rock + dirt/sand. You need 10 to make a wood furnace and 10 for the blast furnace. You can do this under the Mason's menu.

The wood furnace is needed to make refined coal to power the blast furnace.

Now you can work from the Furnace Operator's menu. On the same tile as the wood furnace, drop a log, and 1 unit of firewood. You can cut a branch to make firewood. This would be the 3rd reaction in Furnace Operator's menu. Log becomes bar of coal.

Now drop the bar of refined coal onto the same tile as the blast furnace along with 2 leather gloves/mittens. Now you're ready to smelt some metal object into metal bars.

I had you collect 21 rocks to make 21 rock blocks because the last stone block + a helve will make a stone hammer (under the Stonecrafter's menu). You can drop the stone hammer onto the same tile as the blast furnace.

Now in the Metalsmith (tools) menu, you'll make first a metal hammer, followed by the tongs.

With that, you're ready to go.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 06:22:29 pm by peasant cretin »

Master Catfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2017, 11:28:05 pm »

Thank you for the answer. Metal industry, here I come!

It's too bad gauntlets are bugged! I predict lost fingers are in the future of my poor alligator man.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2017, 12:15:21 am »

Yeah, it's a shame gloves and mittens are set as left or right as opposed to how shoes and boots are configured.

My characters tend to hoard gloves and mittens as those suffer plenty of wear due to accumulating ticks counts during slow travel mode. It's sad, but not unexpected.

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2017, 12:23:39 pm »

Bug Report:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9