Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Peasant and Forester's Mod for Adv Mode (discontinued)  (Read 47034 times)

silvermistshadow

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Peasant and Forester's Mod for 0.44.12 Adventure Mode
« Reply #105 on: March 23, 2019, 02:29:04 pm »

I have a modded creature I'm playing (entirely separate from the standard playable ones, has its own entity and creature text files, and is an outsider). Do I need to do anything to make all of this work with the reactions added by this mod, or will it work on any adventurer? I've already looked over the text files a little for clues but I don't actually see any reactions being added to the entities (just weapons and tools, do I need to do anything about that, too?) so I'm not entirely sure what I might need to do.

edit: it's all working fine.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 12:08:43 pm by silvermistshadow »

UristMcVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING][BLOODSUCKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 26, 2019, 10:52:05 am »

I'd like this mod better if you didn't need 5,0000000 tools to make one thing.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Naga/Lamia race

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 26, 2019, 11:22:17 pm »

03.15.2019 - Bugfixing Minor Update Update 0.7.1 (does not require new world regen)
Hello, just coming back to say what a nice addition with the coins and arrow crafting! Aye, I agree somewhat on your adamant stance. Shouldn't be too simple to craft, especially when the real world process is very intricate and interesting. A very enjoyable aspect for the players interested in roleplaying. Not too easy on the novices which goes hand in hand with the steep learning curve of df overall ;) That said, your mod should already be a part of the game imo.

Oh and sh.. It has created some amazing events, where a group of dwarven soldiers armed with hefts went on a quest to meet a goblin force which never arrived. The preferred weapon of my generated world: the heft held by the non-lethal heftdwarves. To not mention the misc. user dwarves where they insisted on fighting with bags. The homosexual human lasher I found and got to join me kept hitting enemies with coins and kept throwing any gifted iron whips on the ground. It was a grouchy and complaining woman, talking about how her previous wife joined an uprising and created her own faction. Massively dangerous too. And yes, the all so dangerous archer enemies. Even more dangerous when they run out of arrows due to the weapon combinations. Unlike your own ranged companions, which waste fully stocked quivers on the nearest parakeet. Literally until they start climbing to catch that mf bird.

Daggers seemed to be non-existant, as it was replaced by knives. Besides the copper starting dagger. Had lots of fun, and paused the peasant before wrestling a troll with a party of nine highly trained dwarves. And that's where I left off to try Fortress mode for the first time.

I looked into your raw's a bit too to understand the extent your work. I'm impressed!
Again, thanks for the kind words. Doing clean up. Large (metal type) daggers will have a 50/50 chance of showing up versus their doppelganger, the large (metal type) knife, not only in adventurer inventory, but also in various item stashes.

I'd like this mod better if you didn't need 5,0000000 tools to make one thing.
'Tis true. There are plenty of things I've only used in one or two runs and then never again.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 26, 2019, 11:38:17 pm »

Currently working on adding in blunt arrows and bolts alongside the standard edged.

This is hugely helpful if you run an archer who likes to hunt smaller game and perhaps have noticed how on occasion, edged missiles can shear a critter in two reducing butchering yields.

For example, a duck in this mod typically yields 1 skull, 1 skin, 1 feather, 1 intestine, and somewhere between 2-4 units of meat. If you throw in 2 branches, you can craft 10 duck bone arrows/bolts and a duck leather quiver. But if your arrow decapitates this duck, the head will be too small to butcher. You'll get no skull, and less meat.

And what precipitated this spate of modding, was in my last Adv Mode run, my character was about to recruit a bard. Now from a pure Medieval perspective, I prolly would have armed her with (short)sword and buckler, but eventually she would have turned into a swordself. As bards are pretty roguish, I figured she do a little dual wielding, but the raws don't quite have anything that suits this. Vaguely recall how the dreadful Ultima V had armed Iolo with a main-gauche and shortsword, and so it goes...

Deebs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 23, 2019, 12:16:21 pm »

Recently started playing with the mod and I have to say its a lot of fun. I kind of like the complexity it currently has, its fitting for the game. Makes it feel appropriate to one day build a small camp or hut to store all your crafting equipment, maybe call home one day.

My biggest wish for the mod right now is the ability to mine for metal instead of having to melt down weapons and armor for crafting materials, though I know thats been requested. Its pretty much the only main wish I have for it right now, the mod is excellent.

Kavrick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 23, 2019, 08:24:38 pm »

So i cant figure out what "powder" is, like the powder you need to make large blocks and all that.

I just read the readme about power on dirt tiles, is it not the loan you collect? Or does it need to be clay?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 08:31:18 pm by Kavrick »
"how can they not fight in glorious hand to hand combat, face to face with their adversaries, like all true champions of the battlefield do?"

Kavrick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 24, 2019, 01:48:43 pm »

So i finally went through the massive process of making a shield and at the end i got "you practice your armorsmithing but make nothing of note" does crafting seriously have RNG? the crafting in this mod is already pretty overcomplicated without having rng involved...

Edit: I tried it yet again and failed to make a shield, is shield crafting just borked?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 02:05:02 pm by Kavrick »
"how can they not fight in glorious hand to hand combat, face to face with their adversaries, like all true champions of the battlefield do?"

Kavrick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 25, 2019, 10:01:06 am »

Another thing i've noticed is that you can only smelt down vanilla armor, stuff like chain stockings, mittens and such cant be melted down, which kinda sucks.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 26, 2019, 04:00:09 am »

So i cant figure out what "powder" is, like the powder you need to make large blocks and all that.

I just read the readme about power on dirt tiles, is it not the loan you collect? Or does it need to be clay?
Powder needs to be held in hand or the reaction won't recognize it.

Depends on the powder needed. Clay reactions require a clay type. Generic stone reactions would take any powder type.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 26, 2019, 04:02:23 am »

So i finally went through the massive process of making a shield and at the end i got "you practice your armorsmithing but make nothing of note" does crafting seriously have RNG? the crafting in this mod is already pretty overcomplicated without having rng involved...

Edit: I tried it yet again and failed to make a shield, is shield crafting just borked?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sorry about that. There is an error there. Where it says "shield facing" it should say B. Releasing an update this weekend, so that sorta thing will be fixed.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 26, 2019, 04:03:50 am »

Another thing i've noticed is that you can only smelt down vanilla armor, stuff like chain stockings, mittens and such cant be melted down, which kinda sucks.
Will add that into the update.

Kavrick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 26, 2019, 09:11:59 am »

Will add that into the update.

I've been playing the mod quite a bit recently and even though i love it, there are some outstanding issues.

Crafting takes way more resources than in the vanilla. Because of the way crafting works, a single sword can take 3 units of metal, but if you melt it down you only get one unit of metal, and this applies to some of the armor too. This also comes into play when it comes to tanning, you only get one piece of leather per animal, i know there's a chance to get more but it's so low that it really doesn't change anything, an entire elephant doesn't give enough leather to make a single backpack i personally think there's an issue, i changed the value myself to 4 so you at least get a reasonable amount of leather per skin.

Tediousness. I understand the purpose of this mod is to give a realistic crafting system that's immersive, but i feel like it goes a bit too far. To an extent i feel like you realised this, as with the chainmail stuff, there's a 3 step process to making a single pile of chains, which you require two of to make a chain shirt, but then with scalemail you can just straight up make the scales with no extra steps. Also there's a step in making the chains that if you aren't careful will eat your tools, which is annoying. The amount of tools you need to make stuff is also insane, i get the reason behind requiring tools, but it's not like they're hard to make or make any sort of difference if you have high quality tools (As far as i could tell) and all this does is make it so you have a massive pile of tools that are annoying to make. A good example of this is woodworking, to make a wooden shield you need planks, to make planks you need a maul, to make a maul you need sticks and blocks, to make blocks you need a saw, to make the easiest saw you need stones. The crafting menu isn't fun to use in adventure mode, the fact that every time you craft something it throws you back to the game makes it even more tedious when you have single items that require 5+ steps to make. I get the purpose of the mod but i do feel like it goes too far with the amount of requirements to make stuff, all the different tools could just be grouped up into "blacksmiths tools" or "woodworking tools", rather than having a pile of a bunch of different items that are hard to track.

Speaking of hard to track, the last issue i have is waste products, goddamn does this shit make your inventory a pain to manage, the best example of this is wood shavings and stone shards. Why do they exist? all they do is clog up your inventory, and it seems like wood shavings have the powder tag, as sometimes they'll cause tiles to have a coating of wood shavings that you cant easily get rid of. And then you have stone shards, so far i haven't found a use for them, maybe there is but i dont know, but when you need to make smelters and you have to pray to the RNG that mining rocks will give you large block to make them with, goddamn is it a pain. I normally end up mining like 30 rocks, do you know how much stuff you end up in your inventory after mining this many rocks? This requires me to either keep it in my hands, craft the smelters and then drop everything off somewhere (Which takes ages mind you), but then if i say, want to keep the gems, i have to sort through multiple pages picking them out, not fun.

Sorry for the wall of text rant, i really do love this mod but it is a massive pain in the ass sometimes, i personally dont find using the reaction menu fun and this mod requires you to use it a hell of a lot and to also track what items you have because of the amount of resources it can take to make a single item, this normally just means i end up having a single tile in my base with everything on.

Also question, what's the difference between rivets and a batch of rivets?

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 27, 2019, 01:56:34 pm »

Cheers on the feedback.

No worries about rants. [standing on soapbox]Much better to have self-aware rants than fake politeness/manners. Kinda like what Maya Angelou once said about avoiding modest people.[/standing on soapbox]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyways I'll reply in terms of paragraph (P1,P2, etc):

P1: Right now that's intended to get diminishing returns for metal. Leather tanning is based on Toady's vanilla reaction.

P2: Grouping individual tools into what are essentially sets (clothier tools, blacksmith tools) is part of the update. Some reactions are being simplified, esp wood.

P3: So yeah, you're the first to talk about the waste products. I guess I'll zap 'em.

Akiinyone

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 27, 2019, 12:19:14 am »

I just wanted to say I'm a huge fan of this mod and looking forward to the update!

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
Re: Peasant and Forester's Mod for Adv Mode (discontinued)
« Reply #119 on: November 16, 2019, 01:01:42 pm »

To update. Discontinuing this as explained here. Will be taking the workable parts of this and turning out a new Adventure Mode crafting mod. Hopefully out before Thanksgiving.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9